[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on Americana/workwear?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 16

File: Rf0JQYf.jpg (235KB, 1024x1533px) Image search: [Google]
Rf0JQYf.jpg
235KB, 1024x1533px
What are your thoughts on Americana/workwear?
>>
i like when japanese people reproduce it
>>
>>9194467
I think "dadcore" is lame because a bunch of anons told me so. I am unable to form my own opinions. Hurr durr.
>>
File: cabourn-aw-13-18.jpg (646KB, 1296x1864px) Image search: [Google]
cabourn-aw-13-18.jpg
646KB, 1296x1864px
I dig the kind of stuff Visvim are going for, and I have a hard-on for Red Wings, but I'm picky about workwear. I don't know that I like the typical Americana style, but I am in love with Nigel Cabourn's stuff, even though it's a bit more military leaning than workwear.
>>
>>9194467
i think that people who lay out not just their edc but their entire fucking outfit should eb suffocated with dirty clothes
>>
I like what I've seen of work wear. But I consider how I dress very american, I really enjoy the way may country has dressed in the past. Not so much the last few decades though
>>
>>9194467
Shit like your pic is fucking PLAAAAAYED. Oh god when you see someone decked to the ears in shit they bought at a ridiculous markup from some online boutique it's just ridiculous. It's usually the most baby-faced weak looking guys too. And everything they bought is always fucking brand new so it's glaringly obvious that they just bought the entire fucking outfit with one swipe of mom's credit card.

Sure, incorporate some elements of that style but FFS if i see you on the street dressed like one of the fags from Mumford and Sons who just got back from an extended holiday with hobbits in the shire and takes an hour to cuff his straight-leg denim I'm going to take pictures and post it here.

also
>field notes
>ironic camera
>random leather satchels to hold acorns and herbs or some shit
>braces

Jesus Christ. WTF kind of autistic shit do you write in a notebook all day?
>"Day 3. My penis itches but scratching through 30 oz denim doesn't work. This must be what it was like to live in the depression. I should buy a banjitar. Need to check google maps to find railroad tracks to take pictures for my tumblr.

>inb4 autist tries to justify notebook for "muh random thoughts and musings"
>>
>>9194467
better than the shit the kids on here wear

>b-black is mysterious a-nd arrogant
>>
>>9194666
Haha I do though.
>Not transcribing the things you didnt read in books in school but how the real world is.
Do it for my little bro.
>>
>>9194717
>>
>>9194683
Yeah nothing better than sedentary suburban college kids wearing workwear/Americana
>>
File: 1411316560974.jpg (85KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1411316560974.jpg
85KB, 500x750px
Currently Trying to make my own aestheitc rn and Workerwear/americana is Something I've found easy to take from.
>tfw was told to get /fit/ before I could become /fa/
>tfw excersise was so enjoyable i never made it to skelly and straight to barabulk
I've learned to ignore 95% of posts but occasionaly get some nuggets.
At least for fall and winter The thick clothing that comes from this style is pretty cozy
>>
>>9194720
What the shit
This belongs in a cringe thread
>>
>>9194666

I carry a little moleskine notebook to write lyrics/poetry in
>>
>>9194720
your handwriting is hard to read :(
>>
I absolutely fucking love the aesthetic

Mostly in the colors, I love faded shit.
>>
>>9194751
I will say though that it seems only certain people can pull off the suspenders and shit.
>>
>>9194720
ahahahahhhahahahahaa
>>
>>>>9194739

Count and enjoy your blessings everyday. Some don't wake up when they fall asleep. They went to bed worried and let life pass them by. Take no day for granted. We are all very lucky to be alive. If we were any further or closer to the sun, all life wouldn't sustain.

Slow down
Smell the flowers
Enjoy the world
>>
That stuff looks real neato all laid out, but when it's on some dork it's completely ordinary.
>>
>>9194765
Pretty interesting writing. I was referring more to the cover page though.

It says "The _____ of", what is the word in the middle? Adventures?

Sorry for my retardation
>>
>>9194765
>Some don't wake up when they fall asleep.
ya probably cuz they went to sleep
idiot

maybe you should read a book
>>
>>9194784
>Some don't wake up when they fall asleep.
I believe it means they die.
>>
>>9194772
>pretty interesting writing

it's just cliche aphorisms that are written poorly in some nerd's book

like legit how do you think this is fascinating or deep? it's like inspirational tumblr graphic designs about feeling good about being born in the first world. this is so bad.
>>
>>9194786
i know that's what he meant (because of context) but my point was that it's terrible writing
>>
>>9194772

Discoveries.
If my life becomes nothing to show. At least I'll have this little book of scribbles to carry my ideas.
>>
>>9194795
>my ideas
they aren't yours if countless people have made the same 'discoveries'

books are good, homes.
anyway back on topic wow I am starting to not like americana that much anymore since it seems to appeal to literal retards.

its legit if yr doing actual work, tho. can't wait to own some acreage so i can build some working outfits and document the building of my cabin.
>>
>>9194789
>>9194791
Dont do it for you compadre. When I got out of high school I was scared shitless that I wouldn't get into a good school and be a rich person. Turned out that none of it matters and you shouldn't worry because life will not ever be that bad

So enjoy it. Because you'll die
>>
>>9194803
> because life will not ever be that bad
maybe for you, dude.
what about people whose lives actually are bad?
nah that doesn't fuckin matter cuz my life isn't bad, right?

cancer
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-12-10-23-51-49.png (711KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-12-10-23-51-49.png
711KB, 1440x2560px
>>9194802
"You didnt figure that out yourself, people figured that out already!"

>>9194809
Lets waste our shirt lives feeling sorry for everyone else.

Captcha: unpractical
>>
>>9194802

what if I just like the look?
>>
>>9194826
Then that's the best reason to like it man. Theyre clothes. You look at them. Only autists care what you do in them
>>
>>9194817
>"You didnt figure that out yourself, people figured that out already!"
Yes. Exactly. Since someone else already did it, you, in fact, did not do it yourself.
Maybe if you did better than squeaking through high school you'd have an appreciation for intellectual authenticity and heritage.

>Lets waste our shirt lives feeling sorry for everyone else.
um, maybe instead of just feeling sorry for people who are not fortunate enough to just 'take it slow and smell the flowerssss*~~~' you could, like, devote time to making the world an actually better place. Not just a world where you sit around writing about the immensity of the discovery that the sun is in the right place for complex life to exist (hint: you didn't discover that, either, and probably don't actually understand its implications).

Maybe I'm just picking on your one example.
Plz enlighten me, guru.
>>
>>9194666

I fuckin' lol'd.

Totally agree also.
>>
>>9194834
.>>9194834
You could sit here and tell me the science of it all, and I could sit and nod and try to understand, but I wouldn't know till I, personally, pursued to understand this knowledge. But ultimately, I'm alive. Not to get all bent out of shape because Some anon doesnt think the same way I do; It's to be happy. For me. These emotions are mine to feel and not inflict on others. Sit here and mope, I'll ask you to cheer up, if you dont? Do not expect me to give up my happiness to feel bad for you. That's selfish of you. I would never ask you to give up your happiness for me
>>
>>9194765

C R I N G E
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 525x394px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 525x394px
>>9194789
It's cliche and Facebook-status-tier, but it's meant for the writer and not for anyone else. Not sure how to describe it, but I guess you write what you want and you don't hide anything. I personally find that fascinating, but I don't expect anyone else to.
>>
>>9194864
It's positive things I would want in anyone's mind. People deserve to be happy.
>>
>>9194826
>>9194832
well i mean whatever do what you want

The thing is that clothing, especially americana and heritage workwear, carry idiomatic and historical meaning. They were made for function, not just to be looked at / used as adornment. When you wear this kind of clothing to walk around your university campus drinking coffee and studying calculus you're wearing the clothes ironically (intentionally or not).

Clothes are just like any other symbol, they have intensions (i.e. meanings associated with them that are beyond the control of the speaker/wearer.) For example, wearing a flag of a country on your clothes signifies some tie to that country. If you don't in fact have some satisfactory (this is the debatable part) connection with the country then you wearing the flag is meaningless, nonsensical. Stronger cases can be made with words, even to the point of being confusing or offensive.

Just like in any other art or endeavour, authenticity and coherence are important to the quality of the product. This includes your outfits, which are little works of art in their own modest way (if you want them to be, if you don't then that's cool, but I imagine you wouldn't be defending them to a substantial degree).

At the same time, it's cool to appropriate pieces or ideas from other types of clothing. Take Timberlands, Doc Martens, MA-1s, jeans, for example. But the thing (that the other user touched upon) is that this style / trend has basically appropriated the entire tradition without distinguishing itself significantly. It's the same clothes, chosen with great attention to detail for their 'authenticity', but used out of context and for no reason other than "cuz I like it!" Why are you wearing such rugged boots and jeans and jackets? Why do you have so many pockets? Leather satchels? Two notebooks? etc.
>>
>>9194881

tl;dr if you wear functional shit for no reason other than "I like how it looks" then you're a poseur that is ruining the aesthetic that emerged from the need for such clothes to look like that.
>>
>>9194850
What are you even talking about?

You could 'personally pursue to understand' what someone is talking about when they're fucking talking to you.

You're sure as hell not gonna discover, characterize and interpret the orbit of the earth around the sun writing in your leather notebook about how much you like being wealthy and happy.

>Do not expect me to give up my happiness to feel bad for you.
I didn't say or even imply that. I was saying you should feel bad that other people feel bad, and should want to help other people because you are more fortunate and have the means to. Your life isn't so bad and you can help other people. Writing in your little notebook isn't gonna help lower carbon emissions or feed hungry families.

You don't gotta be depressed about other people's misfortune, but you should be motivated by it.
>>
>>9194891
Like I could care about the orbit of the earth. How do you not see that it doesn't matter what you tell me, it could be the will of God holding us all together. That doesn't impact my Life, I have no interest in it, just a product from it.

I dont take the world's turmoils on my shoulders. I'll acknowledge your bad feelings, Dont expect me to feel them. How am I going to be happy when I feel sad for you? The only things I should do, is eat, breath, sleep, defecate, and be happy.
>>
>>9194906
yr fucked, bud
>>
>>9194944
Let me worry about it.
>>
imo its corny as shit when people go for the "classic" or "heritage" americana like in op pic decked out in red wings and levis but when you acknowledge that modernworkwear exists it can work

the thing that often kills workwear is that people go for old fashioned workwear
its like kids wearing pinstripe three piece suits with double breasted blazers and fedoras
modern formal wear works in a modern context
so does modern workwear
>>
>>9194666
>666

This is just all around an excellent post.
>>
>>9195228
>In 50 years time kids on /fa/ will be wearing today's workwear and being made fun of for it
>>
>>9194467
I love it coz I'm a eurofag and nobody dresses like that here.
>>
>>9195362
more like 2000's work wear

baggy dickies, shitty sneakers or steel toe boots, an polyester work shirts

and pay a premium price for "made in china" authenticity

since made in japan usually meant it was shit quality in the 70's-80's
>>
>>9194666
>freaking out this much over someone carrying a few notebooks
Sounds like a personal problem.
>>
File: 1410181065030.jpg (11KB, 331x317px) Image search: [Google]
1410181065030.jpg
11KB, 331x317px
>>9194666
>random leather satchels to hold acorns and herbs or some shit

although I would add that that camera is hardly 'ironic' it's just a style of casing, probably still takes good photos
>>
>>9194666
Thank you satan.
>>
>>9194765
>If we were any further or closer to the sun, all life wouldn't sustain.
Not true, but he'll get your message.
>>
>>9194666
You seem really mad about this
you're not wrong though

thanks satan
>>
>>9194471
>i like when japanese people reproduce it
sadly this is what everyone on this board thinks like

diss it when it's on a white person but when a nip wears it it's 10/10 fit w2c???
>>
>>9194666
thnx for the input satan we appreciate it
>>
>>9194666
>>random leather satchels to hold acorns and herbs or some shit

kek.

I think it looks ridiculous when they got suspenders, Oliver Twist-caps etc.

I do like denim jackets, good denim and red wing boots. I love Filson bags.

But shit like Mr.Freedom isn't that impressive.
>>
>>9194730

People with those kind of gloves should get their fingers cut off.
>>
>>9196538
Whatever dude. I think they look cool.

w2c that pair?
>>
>>9194765

This sounds like an amalgamation of a weeks worth of sappy reshares from some teenage girl's facebook

Seriously man, that is some trite shit. My face contorted from the cringe.
>>
>>9194881
It is impossible to be unintentionally ironic.
>>
>>9194881
>>9194883
I think this trend is retarded and the people rocking it look dumb as shit, but that line of thinking is equally retarded and makes no sense in the context of fashion.
Sure the OG lumberjacks might call you poser but that has fuck all to do with wearing that shit for fashion.
Just to take example you probably can relate to: Knoch rocks milsurplus stuff and I think he looks great, however according to you he is "poseur ruining the aesthetic"
>>
>>9194467
I actually live in a rural ass area, that outfit would be out of place on a worker, workers wear Carharrt, some flannel, and bulky workbooks.
>>
>moving to idaho
>can finally wear Americana/workwear
it's gonna be so nice leaving the fucking city
>>
Fine if you aren't an citydwelling weakwristed liberal pussy beared 20 something. Sadly pretty much 99% of people who talk or show off this fit are in that category.
>>
>>9194467
Workwear > Memeochrome
>>
>>9196718
you're no exception, faggotich
>>
File: VeewX5E.jpg (557KB, 1464x2000px) Image search: [Google]
VeewX5E.jpg
557KB, 1464x2000px
Dumping random inspo because I don't want this thread to die
>>
File: d1gYwuo.jpg (102KB, 720x438px) Image search: [Google]
d1gYwuo.jpg
102KB, 720x438px
>>
File: U07ha8q.jpg (90KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
U07ha8q.jpg
90KB, 800x532px
>>
File: TxCv4KA.jpg (115KB, 374x567px) Image search: [Google]
TxCv4KA.jpg
115KB, 374x567px
>>
File: MYDfqC1.jpg (112KB, 433x650px) Image search: [Google]
MYDfqC1.jpg
112KB, 433x650px
Hey guys let's go play chess in the woods
>>
File: dsc_00751.jpg (316KB, 990x1491px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_00751.jpg
316KB, 990x1491px
>>
File: 7883407706_f912f7eeb2_b.jpg (498KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
7883407706_f912f7eeb2_b.jpg
498KB, 1024x683px
>>
File: 7571952358_e0137d080d_b.jpg (501KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
7571952358_e0137d080d_b.jpg
501KB, 1024x683px
dumped some pics from simplethreads
>>
>>9196534
The only thing I like from Mr Freedom (aside from the henleys, but that's cheating) is the mechanics sweatshirt. Everything else is pleb tier
>>
>>9198633
plain as fuck
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.