[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Office Style

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

Hey /fa/,

I am a civil engineer on my first job with a consulting firm. 80-90% of my time is spent at a desk writing, drawing, making phone calls, etc., but I do have to go out with surveyors and construction crews and look at facilities pretty often.

Right before I started I bought a decent sized wardrobe of suits, ties, dress shirts, dress shoes, etc. It turns out I'm way overdressed for the office culture. Everybody else dresses like pic related and keeps a suit hanging on the back of his office door in case he has to go to a town hall meeting or something. Otherwise the younger guys dress like pic related and the older guys dress like they're headed to the golf course for lunch.

I've been wearing what I have for a few months now. Should I stick with it and just let being overdressed be my thing, or buckle to peer pressure and head to REI and stock up on the same stuff everybody else is wearing?
>>
If you prefer what others are wearing and feel more comfortable in those clothrs then go ahead. If you are unable to comfortably pay for it though I would recommend doing it piece by piece. Don't let peer pressure change how you dress, look at what you prefer.
>>
Maybe just wear the suits a bit more casually? Without a tie, and with less dressy shoes than you'd normally wear with a suit (maybe boots or oxfords idk). Just dress whichever way you prefer, don't change out of peer pressure but if you prefer their style then go for it.
>>
>>12728719

Before I went to engineering school I worked in an office in Japan where you wore a jacket and tie every day without exception, so it's hard to mellow out.

It's hard to say what I "prefer." I prefer not to stick out, but yeah, I honestly like dressing like I do. I even wear a tie on weekends sometimes.
>>
>>12728680
I need to dress like OP pic for work cuz lm constantly inspecting sites in the brush and then have to report to officials. where can I get this fit? seems to be a nice balance of functional and professional for my job.
>>
>>12728680
That looks comfy as fuck anon
Flannels and jeans, every day? I wish my job let me do that shit
>>
>>12729557
I wear hiking pants at my hospital job. Wish I could find some primaloft scrubs.
>>
>>12729566
I'm an aerospace engineer, literally wear khakis every single day and it's soul crushing

> tfw wore a uniform on my work week my whole life, even in school because lolcatholicschool
>>
>>12728680
My cousin is a civil engineer and dresses like your pic.

I get pretty upset thinking about how lots of STEM types that get paid 50k+ get to dress casual, while most minimum wage jobs have a strict as hell dress code.
>>
>>12729570
Why not wear different colored khakis?
>>
>>12729570
My coworkers hate me cuz I'm not a hospital employee (contracted), so I don't have to follow dress cod
>>
>>12729792
I think of it as an incentive for low wage workers to move up.
A friend of mine working retail didn't even know other people could use PTOs to reach 40 hours on slow weeks, cuz that's just not heard of in shitty jobs stocking shelves
>>
>>12729822
>incentive for low wage workers to move up.

IDK. For people like me, it's just another inequality. It's hard to move up even if you have a STEM education if you don't know the right people. And what if you're not interested in STEM?
>>
>>12728680
>Civil engineer
Lel, brainlet detected
>>
>>12729852

Sorry I'm not contributing to society by writing arbitrage software or whatever it is you're doing. I looked at all of the engineering disciplines I could do and chose the one that I felt was the least trivial. I wasn't looking for money and I wasn't looking for an intellectual challenge. I was looking for something meaningful and I got it.
>>
>>12729845
Who cares what you're interested in. Work is work, whether you like it or not. Personally, I'd rather do a job I can tolerate and spend my free time enjoying my passions than to try and follow my dreams and start to hate my hobbies. If I had to write articles about fashion all day I'd hate myself. But I enjoy shooting the breeze about it when work is over.
I think the worst mistake you can make is to follow your passions
>>
I would just wear what feels good for you to wear, and not try to impress others. wear what you are comfortable wearing.
>>
>>12729879
I agree with you - although not entirely. I dont see how you could study a civil engineering curriculum for 4+ years without an interest in it.

I still don't know what the worst mistake is, but ending up older without any authority, independence, or much of an income is a pretty bad way to end up. I'm not sure what mistakes get a person to that point though. A lot of it seems to be outside of an individual's control.
>>
>>12729887
One of the ten rules of /fa/ should be

fit>comfort

If it's not tight, it's not alright
>>
>>12729915
Different fag. I was forced into my career by my parents, hated them for the first two years in the workforce, now I found my niche and am doing exactly what I want
>>
slowly move towards the office norm.
also you wouldnt want to wreck any of your nicer stuff would you? get the stuff that is functionally more appropriate.
>>
>>12730290

You're probably right. I wound up at a sewage treatment plant on Thursday in pretty nice shoes. It had flooded Wednesday.

Right now I just take jeans and boots on days I'm planning to go to a plant or whatever, but once in a while I have to take an unexpected trip.

They pay me enough to buy new stuff. I just don't want to turn on a dime and conform. That has to make an impression too, right? I don't to look like I knuckled under too quickly.
>>
>>12730438
yeah just get new stuff like once a month or something.
also i doubt people will really think much of it since it is, to a large degree, a matter of function
>>
>>12728994
What do you mean where can you get it? Where can you get a casual shirt and cargo pants?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.