[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working retail for more than money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1501912670069.gif (4MB, 650x732px) Image search: [Google]
1501912670069.gif
4MB, 650x732px
A question to those who've worked retail, specifically for clothing and brands you like, is it worth it?

I enjoy incorporating fashion into my lifestyle, I like sharing my knowledge to others, I'm reasonably sociable, and there's the appeal of employee discounts, but I'm wondering if it's all worth it? Dealing with bad hours, bad pay (usually), and stupid, humorless costumers and coworkers. I'm asking because I have an opportunity to work for a smallish brand I like (a suit company), but it's a good distance away from me. I also don't want to quit or be fired and have a bad mark on my resume AND lean to hate the place in the meantime.

Any and all experiences are welcomed information.
>>
I am a retailcuck, and if you have the mental health for it I'd say go for it if you have nothing else. I would love a comfy quiet job at a cellphone retail place though.
>>
does anyone have any experience in luxury retail? i have some sales experience selling high-end sporting goods but i'm somewhat interested in applying to some fashion luxury retail shops, honestly largely because of the discount on the clothes. i don't know if my experience would be sufficient as 'luxury retail' but i'd probably bullshit it into looking like it on a resume. saint laurent, balenciaga, dior, or something along those lines is what i'm looking at

thanks for any info
>>
>>12718082
fuck off ragheb
>>
>>12718140
you'd better have good sales percentage
>>
>>12718082
Will you make commission? Breaking into high end retail can be extremely difficult but really profitable for a job that requires no college, but only if you can sell and grow a loyal clientele.

As for discounts, it depends on how deep they are and how versatile the clothes are. Are you going to wear their pieces often outside of work?

If you're new to retail my best advice is this: remember that 98% of people are awesome and polite. 1% are damaged people who are rude cuz theyre having a shit day and may end up being really nice the next day. And only 1% are actual assholes. It's really easy for the few bad experiences to overshadow the hundreds of good ones.

Beside all that, what really makes or breaks any job is who you work with. A good job can be made bad and bad job made good depending on your coworkers.
>>
>>12718082

You won't really know till you try. It's not for everyone, some like it and some don't. However, don't go in thinking that everyone will be as passionate about it as you (both on the customer and employee side), at the end of the day, it's a business, and you should remember that. Although you will get people every once in a while who actually care about the brand, are really happy with your help, etc., and they definitely make it better. If you place is far away, make sure the perks (specifically the money, then the discount) are worth it for you.

>>12718140

Good luck, it's really not easy to get into, but if you can equate over your sporting sales experience you'll have a better shot. And once your in, it's easy to move up to other brands.

Pros:
-Decent pay (depending on the brand)
-Quarterly/bi annual clothing stipend (depends heavily on which brand)
-Get to meet interesting people (both inside/outside the industry, some clientele can be super cool/generous)
-*Usually* more mature coworkers

Cons:
-It's retail
-Still a decent amount of shit people (although less than normal retail fashion)
-Coworkers are usually lazy, backstabbing, two faced cunts (commission brings out the best in people)
-Having to stay in constant contact with clientele (even if they suck)
-People who are into the brand because of the name/it's trendy

There's more, but that's the jist of it.
>>
>>12718082
I know someone who works for Brooks Brothers.

She likes it and gets 60% off of everything

Used to work at Swarovski and got 50% off

I work not-clothing retail. Definitely a different environment. Any retail atmosphere will be enjoyable or a living hell depending on your management team, and how corporate interacts with you
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.