[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chinese people and streetwear. What is the significance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

Why do Chinese people love streetwear so much?

Since I've entered my early 20s (I'm 24 now) I've grown out of streetwear, gangsta wear, anything hype basically. In fact, I make an effort to Stay away from hype pieces as much as possible. Living in NYC which is apparently one of the fashion capitals of the world, I see a lot of different types of styles. From punk and futurist to grunge and prep. A lot of New Yorkers are actually foreign so I see a lot of style cues from other countries here too such as the completely buttoned up collar shirts of the British, the mink coats of the Russians, and the bright neon colors of the Italians and spaniards

But 1 thing I always see Chinese people wear is streetwear from the most hyped up current brands. I see more Chinese wearing that style than black people which is the group that invented the style. Why do they like that style so much? Is it because they want to stand out as much as possible and be unique? Is it the Chinese phenomenon of being super brandwhores? Or does it have a different cultural meaning?

I personally don't go for the streetwear style, and ironically I'm a sneakerhead. I just want to get some clarity on the significance of this style to specifically Chinese people

inb4 racist. I don't believe in racial superiority and I'm not ragging on any groups of people. I just would like some clarity on the whole thing
>>
>>12676861
Bc they're the only ones streetwear looks good on
>>
Sup.

I'm Chinese.

There are a few reasons why Chinese/Asian people dress like that.

1) The Chinese popular culture is some what influenced by a lot of Korean pop culture (K-pop). Most of the expensive street wear you see Chinese people wearing are mostly worn by Korean celebrities, but young Koreans don't have the money to buy these expensive brands (generally speaking). Therefore, it's hyped up by a lot of rich Chinese students, because they can afford it.

2) Asians really like new and eye catching elements. Like you said standing out from others

3) It's a symbol of status.
The Chinese people you are referring to I assume are Chinese college students. Chinese students are quite superficial, for example, if you don't own expensive shit you are seen as an outcast (not completely true, but along the lines of that).

4) Personal opinion: lack of style
A lot of Chinese people I see have a really shitty taste in style. So they just like to copy whats trending or popular or most expensive

Questions:

"Where the fuck does their money come from?"

Answer: parents

"Why would their parents give them this much money?"

Answer: If you're familiar with the Chinese modern history this would make sense. Before 1949 China was closed off (aka communist), so the people then worked their asses off to make a living. In their mind (parent's minds) they want to provide their children with the highest quality of life and not suffer like they have before. So they give their kids a lot of money. Due to the one child policy, a lot of these kids grew up with their grandparents because parents are out earning money or working. Therefore, parents reward their kids with money to make up for their absence.

This created a problem of insecurity, that's why Chinese people are really into social circles. Everyone is super close with everyone and have good relationships. That's why a lot amount of Chinese people don't social with other people as much.
>>
>>12676861
Chinks have no soul
>>
>>12676861
Soulless Chinks with no beauty in their face + looking like a twelve year old panda until they are 40
>>
>>12676967
That is actually very interesting. I enjoyed reading your explanation. Thank you

I went to a college in New York City (because I live here duh) and I've seen a lot of Chinese students. In fact literally half of the pace university student body was Chinese students alone. They were what I was referring to especially as far as the streetwear style. I found it very interesting when you mentioned that they tend to stick with each other. Something I've noticed a lot but didn't know if it was true or just me being ignorant. I actually feel envious of them. The only friend I can say I have a deep brother-sister like connection (it's a girl) with lives in a country literally on the other side of the world. Japan specifically. Most of my "friends" from college or jobs are superficial. More like acquaintances that you spend time with then actual friends. Its interesting to me to learn about different cultures around the world. I mean I was a history major so it made sense I guess
>>
>>12676967
this was a good read. i know koreans do this shit a lot too in that they are super materialistic, but it seems like those, even the teenagers, that have enough money to flex spend it on brands outside streetwear for the most part. not to say that they're not gaudy, but chinese foreign ballers always have such tacky taste and the rich koreans almost always dress more toned down
>>
>>12676967
>>12677075
This.

Streetwear in general is very based on exclusivity. Usually retail prices are low and resale is as high as high-end luxury labels. The gaining traction in mainstream fashion only further embraces this. Rich Chinese students understand that anyone can buy luxury goods, it's almost not worth it to an extent when everyone else you surround yourself with can do the same. Exclusivity is a huge part of it. Supreme is a perfect example of this. A Louis Vuitton tote is always available to anyone with the money, but something that has retail as low as a Supreme Backpack for example will sell out in a flat minute and never be available again. They can be the only one in their in-group to have something. Yes they could all be wearing hyped streetwear, but that is their uniform of "exclusivity".
>>
>>12676861
>Since I've entered my early 20s (I'm 24 now) I've grown out of streetwear, gangsta wear, anything hype basically.

If you wear le classy menswear casually at 24 you look ridiculous, m8. Just warning you.
>>
File: 1491862127765.jpg (23KB, 640x559px) Image search: [Google]
1491862127765.jpg
23KB, 640x559px
>>12676986
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.