[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Central Saint Martins UAL threads. >tfw gf wants to go there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20170605-221846.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170605-221846.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
Central Saint Martins UAL threads.

>tfw gf wants to go there
>>
>>12515556
I went to the fine arts degree show, some really good paintings but 90% pretentious and shit, I tend to like going to galleries n shit but this was just annoying. The fact that some of those installations took 3 years is incredible. Maybe I just don't get it, but it seems as if most of the ideas presented could have been thought of by a 5 year old.
>>
>>12515636
>>12515556

i inhabit london, am familiar with the art scene there, it's toxic. everyone who goes to CSM becomes part of it. it's actually crazy. its 100% bullshit, 99% of the courses are bullshit, yet they all believe they're innovative, i just dont get it. CSM has a conventional uniform, like if you go to CSM, you become so arrogant that you want to dress to show or "prove" you go to CSM, if your gf goes there she'll become one of them, and if she goes and you don't, you will hate her, because nobody likes people from CSM
>>
Lots of people at my school end up going there, mostly for fashion ofc. Seems like its mostly for status and location.
>>
>>12515743
Damn, to me the fine art courses looked pretty good and I liked a lot of the artwork she showed me, she's hoping to study fine art there. I think most art schools are like that, I hope to go to Bournemouth Arts to study film production and a lot of the people I met there were cunts, I think it's just part of any creative related course.

What's so bad about CSM specifically?
>>
>>12515743
desu i thought the ppl looked cool when i went up, lot's of interesting styles
>>
>>12515746
Completely irrelevant, but I can contribute the fact that their architecture course is appalling and is the butt of the joke of other archi schools nearby.
>>
>>12515769
what's wrong w/ it?
>>
>>12515743
Tbh outside of the fashion and textiles type courses, the majority of people are fairly normal. (Not counting the foundation students where there will always be a bunch of people who think they have something to prove.)

There are arrogant incompetent people in every industry, not just the creative industries.
>>
>>12515746
>>12515767
>>12516485

there are better art schools in london, ie: Slade

the worst thing about it is the pretentiousness, they all think they're at the BEST uni in the WORLD and that they're at the CUTTING EDGE of the art/fashion world, they believe everything they're drip fed by the uni to justify their tens of thousands of pounds being wasted on meaningless degrees

a lot of people, myself included, went to uni and gained independence, and became disillusioned with university, learned a lot of things, including how to think for oneself and the value of it. CSM doesn't teach that, people don't get that from CSM they join this bubble where they think everything they're doing is incredible until the point where they leave and realise nobody was watching them

fashion in london is great because nobody is ever watching you, nobody cares what you do, look like, or say, it's an incredibly liberating experience so i rec London uni's very highly, i studied at QMUL, so the fashion thing isn't limited to CSM, which is probably the worst fashion place because everybody is so judgemental.

There are cool people at CSM for sure, but all i hear from them is complaints of the endless assessments

CSM is a toxic, homogenous community, is the the butt of the joke for Londoners in general, if you see someone acting stupid or otherwise with a degree of arrogance you can bet they're riding high on the egocentricity of CSM, and paying a high price for it with real money that will set them back later in life when or if they ever realise that whatever they did there did not matter, and all they really did was mindlessly contribute to a meaningless postmodern bubble.

That being said, i'm an outsider with nothing more than an observers knowledge on it, but what i say is pretty true, other art schools in London wouldn't tolerate such a toxic pretense, with such a hypocritical ideology. IE: making everything about gender, then claim to be dismantling gender stereotypes
>>
>>12515824
Just really really bad. Skill of students in understanding and articulation is low; and briefs are unimaginative and straightforward.
Just don't. It's very sad. Like I said before, it's the butt of jokes even of other tutors and students in London.

That being said, I do enjoy the culture and reputation of the CSM textiles and men's/women's wear scene.
>>
>>12516485
i wouldn't agree that the majority of people at csm are "normal", rather that they're less overt, you'll never meet a confident right wing CSM studen lets say, because CSM drains individuality in order to gain "academic" success, everybody tries to be political and anti-political at the same time, and its heresy to recognise the futility of such an endeavor

CSM had pseudo prestige in the 80s and now with a name change the art community seems to suck its dick, when any other art college in the UK especially London has just as much to offer, if not more. CSM only has a multitude of courses on offer, things like Fashion Communication, and i like the idea of people who want to study bs courses all doing it at one place, but they can lose the arrogance, CSM is the only place in London that actually cares what you look like, say, or do, yet they all claim to stand for the opposite, it annoys everyone in london, they make such a song and dance about ideals which every londoner has, london is one of the most individualistic, lonely places in the world, and the london mentality transforms that into a positive thing, where in CSM they try to bolster homogeneity and keep it a bad thing. for example its almost frowned upon to buy retail clothes - ie: taking a fashion choice primarily concerned with saving money, and turning it into an objective standard to compare others - who can get the BEST vintage clothes for the CHEAPEST

uni pressure is seriously enough on its own, i wouldn't want all this additional social pressure, especially from stupid fashion students that are most insecure people in london
>>
>>12516509
Is it the same for fine art courses too? I know a couple of friends who are wanting to study fashion and they've said that CSM is not the place even in London, but I've heard many good things about their art courses aside from fashion
>>
>>12516548
i don't know, i'm not in the know, but i would say the art community in london is basically an echo chamber, you're gonna hear the same 5 opinions over and over again, even my opinion just offered to you will be one of those 5. My advice is to do your best to investigate for yourself
>>
>>12516496
largely unrelated but how familiar are you with King's College? I'm going there in september and would like a rough idea of what to expect in terms of what the people are like, general fashion sense, social life etc
>>
>>12516578
not really that familiar, been to their central library, it's pretty incredible, i think the people there are pretty much the same as QMUL which is to say london uni students in general, they all fit the uni student stereotype well. it matters a lot what you study, you won't meet or mix with most of the people in your uni, only very few. Where is your accomm? Kings has an absolutely awful reputation for accommodation. I had a friend who stayed in one of the halls and it was literally like a caravan, i've never laughed so much at somebody's residence in my life. imagine the cupboard of a caravan, that was his toilet. the rest was like a normal caravan, he didn't have any natural light for example, the walls were lime green if i remember correctly and it was the most depressing place, he was my best friend but i never visited his place again because it was so pathetic, oh and it's london so you're paying 4x more for it
>>
Damn, I wanted to transfer here. Is it really that bad, I mean I come from a non fashion background and having no friends into fashion I was thinking going to a reputable school known for this kind of field would be good to learn and meet people of similar interest.

But if they're really as toxic as you guys say, it's kinda making me feel hopeless ._.
>>
>>12515556
yeah i go CSM and was in that press show, just finished my foundation and i'm going back in September.
>>
>>12516867
what do you want to study?

I've only interacted with BA Knitwear, Menswear and MA Menswear and they have all been really nice, same goes for the tutors.

I haven't interpreted this toxicity thats been referenced, if you really want to go there and are going to work hard, you'll be fine.
>>
primary research
>>
>>12516888
Honestly, even if it's just short or something just something to do with fashion or the technology within it. Something creative, fun and engaging.

I probably sound dumb or indecisive but since my passion lies in this field, i'd like to try whatever that could allow me to be creative and learn etc.

Tbf the field i'm coming from is far off from any of these so it's quite a jump but i'd love to transfer if i had the chance.
>>
>>12516902
Fashion isn't my field so I'd suggest looking on the UAL/CSM website and seeing if a short course or something would be most appropriate.

Have you already completed a degree? I've heard of people coming from different backgrounds that have successfully completed MAs.
>>
>>12516913
Fair enough, not sure if I'd do something directly fashion design related but for sure something creative and that has relevance or relation to it. Probably I'll do a bit more research on it and see where i'd fall in.

Haven't completed one yet, surprisingly in my second year of one that I hate but who knows what the future has in store. I'll look into it and see what course would suit me there.
>>
>>12516586
Yeah i've heard horror stories about the accommodation, but desu I'm cool with it being dire as long as the people are decent. I have my eyes on Champion Hill or Ewen Henderson for the price point, but ideally I'd like to stay in Julian Markham bc of the location.
>>
File: f92003b8ab0e26eee7fd6e1744c10f0b.jpg (100KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
f92003b8ab0e26eee7fd6e1744c10f0b.jpg
100KB, 1080x1349px
Got me some white Novesta Strar Dribble and I love them. comfy/10
>>
>>12517135
Wrong thread, I'm a total idiot
>>
filled with ugly fucking chinese idiots such as:

https://www.instagram.com/izzydu/

source:go there myself

the only thing I ever do here is make shit clothes for some reason, wear archive raf and tell everyone without speaking i'm the shit and fuck some fat japs

not joking btw
>>
>>12517386
>the only thing I ever do here is make shit clothes
I agree
>>
>>12517386
prove it Anglocuck
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.