[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suit General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_3948.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3948.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>
File: collateral1.jpg (74KB, 350x608px) Image search: [Google]
collateral1.jpg
74KB, 350x608px
>>12401083
>>
File: crowd.jpg (263KB, 1238x705px) Image search: [Google]
crowd.jpg
263KB, 1238x705px
Is it just the cultural context that's changed, or is there legit something different about older suits that made them look more, uh, "everyday guy"-esque?

Pic related. I love the look of those older suits but for some reason all modern inspo has a different feel to it
>>
>>12401108
Cultural context, I'd say. It's not as common to see people wearing suits in their off-time compared to then; so, it appears more "everyday guy" due to the prominence.
>>
>>12401108
The main difference is that older suits had higher armholes for better mobility. But that's only noticeable when you lift your arms.
>>
>>12401108
Different fabrics. Prior to the late 20th century, the wool was much thicker and coarser than what you see on modern suits, because it needed to be more durable and last longer for every day use.

It makes the lapels look different and changes the way the fabric bends around the arms. It never looks quite as smooth, but also doesn't develop wrinkles/creases.
>>
>>12401108
its probably the fact that everyone in that picture is either wearing a suit or blazer

also if this was taken with a digital camera theyd look like dorks
>>
File: departed 2.jpg (128KB, 395x594px) Image search: [Google]
departed 2.jpg
128KB, 395x594px
>>12401083
>>
>>12401159
Great movie terrible jacket
>>
>>12401083
>1,600 people like this

The West is dead
>>
>>12401108
This is the correct answer: >>12401135
Super Blablas wool is thin and drapes like shit, old suits didn't use tissue paper for cloth. You can still get good cloth, e.g. Fox Bros. flannel, the heavier Harris tweeds, some Cheviot and Lovat stuff (all fully casual except Fox); Dugdale does some nice budget cloth. However chain stores *don't* do this so you have to get your suit at least made to measure if you want this. Find an old, old tailor if possible, get him to do the cutting. Depending on where you live this will be hard as fuck or just moderately difficult.

Personally I like the '20s cut with the really form fitting waistcoat and the loose, drapey coat (and very high trousers). These guys in your pic though are what, American Fifties? Sixties?

TL;DR you can still get such a suit, but it'll cost you. You probably won't regret it once you have it though.
>>
File: 1463950764059.jpg (73KB, 1000x882px) Image search: [Google]
1463950764059.jpg
73KB, 1000x882px
looking for something to wear to my prom which isnt the typical ill fitting tux that everyone wears
>>
>>12401083
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.