[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for fashion advice for the IT field. I graduate soon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Looking for fashion advice for the IT field.

I graduate soon and am going to start doing interviews.

My professor says that only managers wear ties, and that everyone else should dress more casually with a collared shirt.

I want to look professional, but not overdress.

My whole life, I have been wearing jeans, t-shirts, and converse. Any basic advice would be of value to me. I know very little about trying to look nice.
>>
Why are you asking a board dedicated to those who have failed in such pursuits you dolt, ask your father or someone with some sense my god
>>
>>12376497
I thought posters here were supposed to have a good sense of fashion. Anyone I have spoken to, that has said they used this board, have always been very fashionable.
>>
Ok, long sleeve button up shirts, jeans are decent but wool or linen pants are better for professional fields, good leather dress shoes (allen edmonds are a good start) and ties are a must (in my opinion) but go for more texture (wool, cotton, knit, less formal than smooth silk). I LOVE jackets and suits, if you "need" it to be more casual go for lighter colors, more patters, and more texture. Don't worry about overdressing, frankly most people don't give a damn, and at most you'll be the well dressed guy in the office.
>>
>>12376124
black jeans, collared shirt, decent but not too fancy shoes and you're set
>>
>>12376944
what is considered decent? fancy shoes like >allen edmonds that the other anon said?
>>
>>12376124
Wear a suit to interviews. If a job doesn't require you to dress appropriately when called for, they won't give a formal interview and just hire you without one.
>>
>>12376124
if you're in it you dont need to give a fuck about how you look. its your brain that matters unfortunatly
>>
>>12377767
>IT
>Brain
>>
File: Bateman Guide.jpg (238KB, 601x1801px) Image search: [Google]
Bateman Guide.jpg
238KB, 601x1801px
Wear a suit to interviews. Something fairly plain, charcoal or navy, with a white shirt and preferably brown shoes. Tie is up to you, just don't get something super flashy, and try to colour coordinate.

Most office environments are "business casual". It will depend on where, some places are simply more lax on clothing than others; ask in the interview or after you've been hired. Sometimes all you need is a polo and clean, dark jeans. Just always try to stick with conservative colours and avoid clashing patterns.

Honestly, go to r/mfa. They're more geared towards someone in your particular situation than /fa/. We haven't shilled business casual stuff in over five years.
>>
>>12377155
Just get brogues
>>
I'm a Software Engineer. It depends on the company, the dress code, and whether your position is customer facing or not.

I work in an office with another engineer. I might have one or two meetings a week. My company has no dress code, so most engineers wear polos or t-shirts and jeans.

I don't work with any women under 35. I think there's 1 woman in her late 40s a department over from me.

I usually just wear some button-up Uniqlo shirt or a flannel and dark jeans. It's inoffensive and bland, but I'm not shooting to impress anyone in particular. I'm just working with the same 5 guys every day, so I don't worry about buying and taking care of nicer clothes.

>what to wear at an interview
Get a nice fitting suit. Even if it's a hipster startup gig, you're interviewing for a white-collar job. The suit communicates you understand the social conventions behind the position.
>>
>>12376571
I've been in this board for a week and every thread is filled with horrible dressers
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.