[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/color theory/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

File: colour theory.jpg (42KB, 471x600px) Image search: [Google]
colour theory.jpg
42KB, 471x600px
Can someone explain color theory to me.

From what I have read, if you use the correct rule e.g. triadic, analogous, complementary, split complementary, tetradic or square you can match like every color to every other color given its matched with the other colors in the color scheme, can anyone post examples of it color theory in action or is it just a meme?
>>
Kind of a meme desu. It can be somewhat helpful to know the basics, but ultimately you'll have to use your eyes. It's all subjective, I for one hate equally spaced triadic schemes, but there's nothing "wrong" with them. It's finicky and you might find that a triad of 90 degree spacing is pleasing while one of 88 just isn't. Obviously with clothing you can't be this specific unless you're dying the fabrics yourself, so just match stuff you think looks good.

If you want to, there are many interactive color wheels you can play around with online and it's a lot of fun.
>>
>>12374221
Yeah I usually leave it to intuition
Watch runway shows for tips
>>
>>12374221
>>12374271
I watch old anime and cartoons to see what colours seem striking and what effect they have on the characters apparent mood/demeanour
>>
>>12374277
A u t i s m
>>
>>12374277
huh, I do this also
>>
>>12374285
>studying art in order to better understand it and use its principles is "autism"

hello american anti-intellectual fuckboy who is probably dressed by his mum and/or the internet
>>
>>12374221
those are some nice colors, though I prefer the right look to the left
>>
>>12374285
B a i t
>>
What's more important is matching the tone and intensity of colours

Once you've chosen the colour scheme you need to adjust the tone of the colours to match each other, a washed out blue and red generally won't look good with a strikingly bright yellow even though they match as a triadic colour scheme
To make this work you need a good understanding of the visual weight colours have in relation to their intensity and proportion within the outfit, ie colours that's take up a lot of visual weight ie a bright red or yellow need to be in small quantities or little hints of colour compared to your neutrals and washed out colours
The tone of a colour also affects it's intensity or visual weight, and the specific tone that delivers maximum intensity changes depending on the hue of the color, ie colours like yellow and green achieve their max intensity closer towards pure white on a scale
This takes effect when matching colours in their tone as i was saying before, these colours should be matched in tone to other light toned colours to bring out their full intensity, this is why dark yellows tend to look pretty dull, especially when next to blacks or other dark colours
Colours like red and purple tend to achieve max intensity towards the darker end of the scale and as such are better paired with blacks and other dark colours
I highly recommended you read johannes itten's the art of colour as it goes into this in much more depth, although its targeted towards painting and stuff, it's still applicable to clothing aswell
>>
>>12375632
A n i m e
>>
just watch fashion shows, editorials and etc
problem with color theory that it doesn't transfer exactly well into clothes cause they have their own weight texture silhouette wich radically change color perception
also menswear is usually very conservative when it comes to colors: black and white, brown blue green gray and they hues - this is practically 90% colors that usually people wear and most of them
>>
>>12374221
Just be as loud as you can
>>
>>12376987
>these colours should be matched in tone

this is the most important thing to keep in mind when pairing colors imo
>>
>>12376987
are there any good fashion books you can recommend?
>>
>>12374277
this
>>
>>12377948
why do you keep bumping everything off page 10 with throwaway comments
>>
>>12374277
>calling anime art
>calling anyone who disagrees with obvious bullshit a "fuckboy"
>>
I usually figure it out intuitively, as another anon has said. I also, as has been said, use anime and manga and video games in order to test color combos because in art you can be more daring than in real life.

I find the Super Smash Bros. palettes to be particularly insightful.

I'll post a few to serve as examples.
>>
>>12379084
>>
>>12379086
Here, with Falco, you can see that if you're going to wear two shades of the same color, you should probably put the darker color on top.
>>
>>12379087
>>
>>12379090
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.