[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I know if my Red Wings are too big or if they need to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: timberlands.jpg (287KB, 625x527px) Image search: [Google]
timberlands.jpg
287KB, 625x527px
How do I know if my Red Wings are too big or if they need to be broken in? How do I know if they fit well?

I've never owned letter boots before. I copped a pair of Red Wing classic mocs (1907) and the first time I wore them they rubbed my heels fucking raw. So, wool socks or return for a smaller size?
>>
wool socks and you generally want to get them a half size smaller than your normal shoe size because the leather will expand as u break them in

I just ordered a pair a half size down
>>
>>12218026
>get them a half size smaller than your normal shoe size because the leather will expand as u break them in
How should the boots fit? Since the toe box doesn't expand, should my toes be touching the edge?
>>
>>12218757
oh they will. if you're a little impatient then here's a little trick I picked up in the military for those older usgi jungle boots, should work the same for any leather boot.

literally bathe in hot water with them on for about 10-20 minutes and then wear them until they dry. it will feel gross and it will wear the boots down, so do apply conditioner or polish afterwards
the goal is to get the leather to expand and form to your feet
>>
>>12218781
We just used to run our boots over with a hummer, worked well.
>>
>I wore them they rubbed my heels fucking raw

Very typical of RW boots. Just gotta ride it out son.
>>
>>12218781
>literally bathe in hot water with them on for about 10-20 minutes and then wear them until they dry. it will feel gross and it will wear the boots down
How do I manage this in the winter without leaving my carpets a wet mess?
>>
>>12218848
Just hang out in your bathroom
>>
File: boots.jpg (105KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
boots.jpg
105KB, 400x389px
>>12217795
Owner of 30 year-old Red Wings here.

Buy them on the assumption that you'll wear thick socks with them. Don't listen to those saying "buy them small". You'll destroy your feet. Allow at least a couple of months for a slow break-in. This is true of any good leather shoes.

Moleskin is you friend.
>>
>>12217795
why do they look like clown shoes on the rich & famous?
>>
File: Trump_gold_1.jpg (632KB, 2880x1946px) Image search: [Google]
Trump_gold_1.jpg
632KB, 2880x1946px
>>12219593
Because the rich & famous look like clowns?

Isn't that kinda their job?
>>
>>12219602
Okay, I can see that.
Why do they look comically big though when other shoes look normal on these people?
>>
File: redwing877.jpg (67KB, 736x490px) Image search: [Google]
redwing877.jpg
67KB, 736x490px
>>12217795
You should always wear them with thick socks, not like your grandma's knit woolen socks but you know, thicker hiking type of socks.
Break in periods come and go but generally if your heels are hurting it means you have too big shoes. Red Wings should hurt in sides because that's they only way they will mold, there won't big big chances length wise.

>>12218757
Moc toe box will get wider, you can get a little rub on your outer little toe but it should go away soon. Just keep wearing them and remember that the blisters come afterwards even if you didn't feel anything while wearing them.

>>12219593
>>12219608
I would say it's because they are straight off the shelf and not worn in. They lose the chunkiness when they get broken in. Sides start to get creases and leather starts to wrap around the ankle.
Especially moc toes start stretching sideways and the big toe box gets a softer and lower shape.

Also they look bright and dumb because chances are they have never been conditioned or oiled and still have that screaming orange color. With use and conditioning Red Wings get a more darker and muted down to earth color.

Look up my red wing moc toe conditioning video for shits and giggles, featuring cute doggo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmKu9NbAc8c
>>
Does anyone have a size guide?

>>12220479
Leather conditioner as in mink oil?
>>
File: Red-Wing-Boots-Stores-P4c73d.jpg (183KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Red-Wing-Boots-Stores-P4c73d.jpg
183KB, 1280x853px
>>12221781
Red Wing mink oil and boot oil are stronger stuff and darken the leather more, especially mink oil has "ruined" aka darkened many shoes too much for the users taste when applied too much.

Leather conditioner is a milder mixture of beeswax, pine pitch oil and mink oil. Leather conditioner can be used in place of mink oil or boot oil but I guess it needs to be applied more often, the color reverts back to brighter after a week of use. Anyways it's more wax like material instead of liquid so it's easier to apply. Also a little more expensive.

Then there is the basic leather cream but every leather cream is the same even if it's from a supermarket.
>>
>>12217795

>Wedge sole
Good job buying cucked: the meme boot too far
>>
>>12222453
>Good job buying cucked: the meme boot too far
And what would you have suggested?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.