[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VEGETARIAN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 10

File: feels.png (5KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
5KB, 645x773px
Hey /fa/, long time contributor as well as lurker here. probably wont trip ever again.

so recently I became vegetarian for reasons that made sense to me, and one of the unexpected dilemmas I am having is one with that of leather and suede products.

if I am not eating meat, it doesn't make sense to keep wearing the skins of those animals. now, I am aware of pleather and leather substitutes, but I don't know of that many options. obviously just canvas and knit shoes, but if i do this i have to eliminate like 90% of the pieces (mostly footwear) that i wanted before. for example i had been looking at those rick mastodons, but realized it would be hypocritical to buy them.

so with that i have a few questions

>if ur a vegetarian/vegan do you wear leather and why, if so?

>recommend ya boy some shit to wear please

>ok to buy used or thrifted leather products?

>ok to wear gifted leather products?

TLDR; i dont eat meat and dont think wearing leather makes sense

pic related
>mfw most shoes i want r leather
>>
It's not a good idea to post anything related to veganism or vegetarianism here.

I'm a "vegan" and I still wear some leather boots I bought before I was a vegan

look around vegankicks com, mail companies asking about vegan options, accept that most vegan shoes are shit, rombaut, vans (some models), shoes like pottery, ahimsa, etc... mail rick to remove the side zip leather detail on the ""Vegan"" Ramones sneakers.

That's up to you. (and it's dumb asking that in a fashion "forum") But I think if you have that kind of ethical stance you should stop wearing leather (and even leather imitations), it's hypocritical and it sends the message that wearing animal skins is ok... but if you don't really have a pure vegan ideology I think it's an option to buy second hand.

That gives the wrong message, make others take you seriously and respect your ethical stances.

>TLDR; i dont eat meat and dont think wearing leather makes sense

Please stop dairy/eggs if you really care, read about them. (IMO they're worse than leather and meat)

And the most important part on buying vegan friendly clothes. mail companies about vegan options, make them know there's a market (although it would be dumb to mail 100% leather based companies)
>>
>>12196614
>long time contributor as well as lurker here. probably wont trip ever again.
>long time
>doesn't know the difference between namefagging and tripfagging
>>
>>12196644
thanks mang, been looking into veganism more will be sure to do that

>>12196650
ur rite ok it was a simple mistake, ill eat the shit
>>
But, faggot, how can you be something that is impossible to exist?
>>
>>12196614
Rick is big on the alternative lifestyle thing. He most likely has vegan versions of many pieces.
>>
File: not vegan.jpg (350KB, 1100x1467px) Image search: [Google]
not vegan.jpg
350KB, 1100x1467px
>>12197021
Not footwear. His "vegan" sneakers have a small stripe of leather behind the zip. (pic related) I find that strange because there was a nylon version (the gomma ramones) of that shoe and it didn't have that leather detail.

>>12197017
Of course somebody who doesn't understand veganism is going to think something like that. Here's the definition of veganism to help you understand.

"Veganism is a way of living that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing and any other purpose."

The "as far as possible and practicable" is the key part.

And that looks like a big list but in reality easy to avoid animal products, refined sugar is now mostly bleached with activated carbon, adhesives have mostly been replaced by cheaper synthetics, vitamins and hormones are mostly produced by bacteria, minerals are minerals... and well, that picture makes it look like every one of those products can't exist without cattle but in reality most of those ingredients are not really essential to make those products.
>>
File: 4L_CBKFL2Yo.jpg (195KB, 888x960px) Image search: [Google]
4L_CBKFL2Yo.jpg
195KB, 888x960px
>>12196614
Fellow vegan here. I've personally taken the stance that no existing animal product that would be put to waste should be wasted. Meaning I'm fine with thrifting, continuing to wear and accepting gifts (If it's not avoidable or un returnable) The argument can be made that by wearing leather you're contributing to the normalization of treating animals as a product. I personally am not persuaded by that but you might be.

I'll second checking out vegankicks.!
>>
>>12197044

It drives me crazy that almost no one knows the definition of veganism. Over on /r/vegan and veg I communities there are people seriously wondering if they shouldn't take medication because it has gelatin. I've actually met people who refuse to sit in a leather chair.
>>
even rubber has sterine in it, roads, tires, fertilizers, it's all little bits of animals bruh
>>
Some yohji(not y3) are leather free (not sure about the glue tho. (but most glues nowadays are 100% synthetic.

>>12197058
See
>>12197044
And btw not all rubbers contain animals, and the use of unavoidable animal products is not an excuse to buy things like leather (if your morals are vegan-like).
>>
>>12196614
i'm vegetarian and i live in rick and guidi leather

i eat red meat occasionally now more than i used to though
that iron and zinc keeps anaemia and low test away u know

i never eat poultry or diary ever

veganism is contrived hypocrisy stay away from that trash
>>
>>12197046
>Over on /r/vegan and veg I communities there are people seriously wondering if they shouldn't take medication

They shouldn't :^)
>>
File: 1472990015861.jpg (23KB, 502x502px) Image search: [Google]
1472990015861.jpg
23KB, 502x502px
>>12197045
>The argument can be made that by wearing leather you're contributing to the normalization of treating animals as a product

this is ironic considering that pleather and synthetics are produced enmasse via the chinese ""workforce"" and are tainted with formaldehyde, lead and many other undesirables that wreck havoc on the human body and the environment
>>
If you were to eliminate from your life every product that has a part of a dead animal in it, you would be fucked

I'm vegetarian, but it's only limited to foods. I still wear leather shoes and clothes and whatnot

I don't really see a problem with it, though maybe i'm just being wilfully ignorant. w/e
>>
>>12196644
why is wearing leather imitations wrong if you like both the look and the fabric itself?
>>
File: 1485223828702.jpg (32KB, 639x960px) Image search: [Google]
1485223828702.jpg
32KB, 639x960px
>so with that i have a few questions
Go for it, senpai.
Been a vegetarian since I was about two years old, I'm now 20. I wear leather products because not wearing them is a waste. The other products from the animal (meat) are being used, if you choose not to eat them - Cool, but not wearing the leather isn't going to bring the animal back. I choose not to consume meat as it just isn't my type of thing - the idea of eating another being ain't for me. Would 100% NOT recommend going vegan or vegetarian though. Meat is good for you. Being a vegetarian/vegan is a very fucking bad idea imo.
Leather, canvas, suede, anything you like. Your diet should not reflect your wardrobe.
Yes.
Yes.
>TLDR; i dont eat meat and dont think wearing leather makes sense
Curious as to why this is your outlook. Please enlighten me OP. Genuinely curious.
>>
File: 1332239686418.jpg (121KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
1332239686418.jpg
121KB, 500x637px
>>12196614
if you take vegetarianism to its 'endpoint', logically speaking, you will realise that in order to truly eliminate the severity and frequency of the suffering you impose on the world your only recourse is to kill yourself. the electricity you use, the waste you produce, the needless expenses while others starve for lack of wealth. in this world there can be no existence without the production of suffering.

thus your choice becomes: a life of unspeakable hypocrisy or the noose
>>
File: image.jpg (563KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
563KB, 1500x1500px
>>12196614
Hey OP, I'm not a vegetarian or vegan so im not able to answer most of those questions. But I would recommend you April77. It's a French vegan brand. Real high quality stuff and have the best jeans for the price. Check it out.

Motorcycle jacket is Floyd Shadow vegan leather.
>>
File: CHblogbannerweb (1).jpg (95KB, 880x378px) Image search: [Google]
CHblogbannerweb (1).jpg
95KB, 880x378px
>>12196614
>so recently I became vegetarian for reasons that made sense to me, and one of the unexpected dilemmas I am having is one with that of leather and suede products.
First mistake retard. I've been vegetarian for a while now and the trick is so having reasons to be one. There's no fucking need to jusitify that choice. THe moment you start needing reasons to justify it you create grounds for others to argue with it. Do it because you want to and eventually you'll do it because you do it.
>if I am not eating meat, it doesn't make sense to keep wearing the skins of those animals.
Not eating meat and wearing leathers are not the same thing at all. Especially if you follow my point above.
>now, I am aware of pleather and leather substitutes, but I don't know of that many options.
Any pleathers are garbage shit. Sunlight breaks down chemical bonds of carbon chains and the materials start cracking.
>obviously just canvas and knit shoes, but if i do this i have to eliminate like 90% of the pieces...hypocritical
no it isn't.
>so with that i have a few questions
>>if ur a vegetarian/vegan do you wear leather and why, if so?
I wear plenty of leather because there is no substitute that is near the same quality and lasts as long.
>>recommend ya boy some shit to wear please
>>ok to buy used or thrifted leather products?
fine
>>ok to wear gifted leather products?
fine as well

If you want to argue some stupid ethics shit than consider this. A well made leather product can last a life time if treated well. A polyethylene (or any faux leather product made from petrochemicals) will break down after exposure to the sun, be it a few months to a few years. What is overall more damaging to the ecosystem? A leather product, and the work that goes into making it plus 1 meaningless life, or buying dozens of petrochemical products, the work that goes into making and refining each chemical along the way, and the damage each one does to the environment when thrown out.
>>
>>12197575
Is not having reasons to be one*
>>
>>12197388
this guy is hot
>>
>>12196614
Since i became vegan, i'm trying to buy as less as possible. The real problem is that people nowadays buying to much shit, much more that they need. I would prefer to buy used top quality leather boots on ebay that i could wear for years than some shitty vegan boots which production is actually destroying our planet.
So 80% of my "new" clothes are used and i really don't care are there any leather or fur, i'm looking only on quality and design.
Another 20% are new clothes from my favourite designers, for me they are more art objects, not clothes i really need, and yes, they don't contain animals.

So my advice: stop buying mass market trash, turn to goods that can last as long as possible, this is more vegan, than "vegan brands".
>>
>>12196614
yes i do
it's already difficult enough to find anything that's not the standard nike air meme type of thing here and my taste is pretty specific too
i don't really care about the message it gives people, i never mention being vegetarian if i'm not asked and i never talk about it
also i think wearing a pair of leather shoes for a year generates less suffering overall than having to buy multiple fake leather ones, the latter also generates more human suffering and destroys our planet

-it's only appropriate to wear gifts
-it's not ok to waste an animals death
easy decision if you ask me
>>
hi OP, been vegetarian for 12 years and considering going vegan now.

Yes, like most of us, I still have some left-overs from my "pre-vegan" time that I'm not gonna throw away in an instant - sustainability and such.

Dunno, I'll be lurking for that. I guess anything non-animal AND non-polluting goes.

Kinda - there's the sustainability vs suffering vs pollution aspect. Leather products are durable, after all.

Now here we're adding the social aspect as well. Anyways, you could always announce pre-emptively that you're a strict vegan, which solves the problem of being gifted leather products.

So OP, you're vegetarian or vegan?
>>
File: cw6.jpg (54KB, 540x406px) Image search: [Google]
cw6.jpg
54KB, 540x406px
Apparently I'm a stricter vegan by not wearing leather, who knew. I mean, I don't care if others do really, but I try to marginalize my animal usage. No one can be 100%, it's just impossible in this day and age, I actually tend to get in fights with other vegans about this.

Anyway, I don't and Im not the biggest fan of how it looks anyway so I'll be odd one out.

Like someone else said, you do it because you want to do it. You shouldn't have to have a reason. We don't eat this way because it was some god damned switch we flipped to live life on hard mode or some shit, we have reasons.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.