[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do designer make money?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 142916688515SS_MENS_LOOK_1_l.jpg (102KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
142916688515SS_MENS_LOOK_1_l.jpg
102KB, 1120x1680px
I always wondered how do more conceptual highfashion designers earn their money. I mean, with Gucci and LV it's clear since nouveu-riches and celebrities like to wear it and it's sign of wealth.
But what about designers like Rick Owens or Jun Takahashi? Their consumer base is very small, where do they get funds for new collections?
>>
by making their shit expensive
>>
>>12118304
Their consumer base is really not as small as you think. Plus they make stuff like leather jackets and t-shirts that are easily salable regardless of cult following or whatever.
>>
>>12118304
>Rick
>consumer base is very small
lel
>>
>>12118313
But it's still isn't enough to fund whole collections. Let's say Rick sells like 200 Geos each season. It's like 10000$ - 2000$ productions cost. 8000$ still seems not that much.
>>
>>12118328
I live in Germany and I only saw once oneRick fit.
>>
>>12118304
Rick is mostly known for his leather jackets. look up, those are alwys sold out before sale periods.
>>
>>12118335
where are you getting these numbers? sounds like you are just pulling them out of your ass
>>
>>12118335
>200 geos
>$10000

a pair of geos is nearer to a thousand dollars
so if say 200 are sold, which is probably a big underestimation, it would be like 200k
plus your stupid fucking figures show that a pair costs $10 to make
>>
File: 1468550762392.png (32KB, 766x758px) Image search: [Google]
1468550762392.png
32KB, 766x758px
>its a poorfag underage who doesnt understand money episode
>>
>>12118304
>But what about designers like Rick Owens or Jun Takahashi? Their consumer base is very small, where do they get funds for new collections?
man you are clueless as fuck aren't you
Rick is popular as fuck and a multi-millionaire just on his fashion, he recently bought the factory he used to order his shit to be made and he has few brands under Owens corp. that he helps out, Gareth Pugh for example
>>
>>12118420
And he is one of the the biggest independent fashion designers in the game right now, if not straight up biggest
>>
>>12118335

>Rick sells like 200 Geos each season

lol do you honestly think that the userbase of /fa/ are the only people that buy Geos?

"In 2010, Owenscorp revenue was around $40 million. In 2012, that number was closer to $70 million; in 2013 it exceeded $100 million and, this year, it’s projected to surpass $120 million."

source: https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/intelligence/constructing-rick-owens-creative-bubble

while that says nothing directly about profits, if you look at the standard margin rates on clothing, you can assume that his company is is currently profitable in the yearly range of mid-to-high tens of millions (40 mil+)

rick has been around for decades. you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>12118429
>lol do you honestly think that the userbase of /fa/ are the only people that buy Geos?
This is kinda important point, actual fashion happens outside internet, /fa/ and social media gives people skewed as fuck picture of what's 'hot' or what sells etc. especially if you are shit at reading such media.
People on /fa/ talk shit about Rick and seemingly hate him and you don't see full rick fits on you instagram feed = Rick doesn't sell
Think again, you are smarter than that.
>>
>>12118337
it depends on where you live and what you do. i live in vienna and in "hip" districts or at events you see multiple rick fits.
>>
So, OP is an idiot and smaller designers probably have another job, if they can't live by their fashion.
>>
>>12118304
High fashion is growing massively, brands like Rick Owens are worn abroad as an example, the south east asian countries spend a heck of alot, espcially with the amount of seasons there are, alot of money can be made
>>
>>12118335
Did you fail 2nd grade math? Where the fuck do you get 200 geos = 10k
>>
>>12118439
good point
people actually exist out of /fa/
what is popular here isnt directly correlative and indicative with what is actually popular in the real world
>>
>>12118425
comme des garcons is the biggest independent fashion house rei kawukabo is the biggest independent designer
>>
>>12118304
>But what about designers like Rick Owens or Jun Takahashi? Their consumer base is very small, where do they get funds for new collections?
really now
>>
>>12118335
lol $50 for geos i fucking wish
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.