[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meta Fashion Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: haider-ackermann-sweatshirt-05.jpg (163KB, 485x650px) Image search: [Google]
haider-ackermann-sweatshirt-05.jpg
163KB, 485x650px
Can we have a meta fashion discussion thread? I'm confused about where inspiration for designing comes from. Pic related. I love the design of this sweater but I don't know why. What about the simple addition of the raw edges makes it better than if it was just normal. Better yet, where did Haider even get the idea to make the edges raw? I'm sure he was inspired by a random piece he saw before, or maybe just knowledge of clothing and design got him to that point. But even after that, why is Haider Ackermann so well known in fashion? At some point in his career, he had to have presented ideas that were more than simple inspirations from other pieces and slight modification, ideas that could only come from one's own perspective and interpretation of their environment. But how does this occur?
No matter what form of art I attempt doing, I always have difficulty trying to use something as inspiration. Unfortunately, everything I've done up to this point is just modification of already well known patterns. I fully acknowledge this, but I don't understand how to grow from realizing this.
>>
>>12079598
>Unfortunately, everything I've done up to this point is just modification of already well known patterns

this is pretty much every artist ever. Just think what could I add or take away from something to make it better. you don't have to be completely original
>>
male fashion designers don't have a lot to work with
there's only so many ways to design a shirt and a pair of pants
the way they get around this is by increasing the price of their products so people think more went into the design than actually did
designers found this method was shockingly effective
they kept doing it
people feel good when they spend a lot of money on items that are well-designed
it makes them feel above other people who don't invest in design
so this is the hell we have found ourselves in
>>
>>12079687
Often when looking at photos of girls dressed fashionably, I feel envious because of their ability to wear more archetypes of clothes that are off limits to men in most situations, or at least for me. Skirts, tall socks, dresses, giant sweater/hoodie with no pants, short shorts, various oversized things, various types of shoes, certain types of shirts/tshirts, certain hats, most hair accessories and plenty of others I'm sure I've forgotten all do this for me.
>>
File: image.jpg (184KB, 1014x786px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184KB, 1014x786px
I think inspiration will come naturally once you master the basics of said artistic field but most importantly you should never stop observing other people's work and trying to figure out what makes them good and original, then you take the ones you like the most and decode them further. That should be kind of obvious but inspiration could also come from other places far outside of said field, like music, architecture or an ideology. I guess what I'm suggesting is to never stop observing.
>>
kek, this is creative work/art 101

Anything is 95% copy with 5% variation. First you need to learn how to see. You focus on something you liked and try to be critical abouut it (seeing form, material, fit) then you start asking what you liked and what you disliked in any category. Next you ask "well, I liked X and disliked Y, if I change Y for Z how it gonna end?" or you can ask more general questions like "what if I try to create a modern version of feather cloak?"

Also you have a hard time using inspiration because you lack experience, do more and more until a point you start seeing the patterns and repetions behind your media.
>>
>>12079777
wtf is this shit
>>
For example my last creation was a sun mask. I have a skin problem in the face and I would like to get rid of farmers tan then I did a quick search and found that denim has a very protective factor. Now I want to avoid wasting fabric and money then I decided to get some old pants and cut a very basic pattern, like a potato sack. Ok where I'm going to use the mask? Only in my garden so I don't need to see while wearing it. So lets not cut some opennings for the eyes, this way the mask protects the very fragile skin around the eyes.

Generally I start with functional requirements that dictates some initial fit/silhouette. If the first result is acceptable then I keep it, if not then I try to improve it without giving up on any initial functional requirement.
>>
>>12079713
You could always say fuck it and go full dandy mode. There must be an at least comparable amount of intricacy in high level menswear to women's clothing. It might be more subtle, the difference between a waistcoat and a suit jacket might not be as drastic as an evening gown and a sundress but there is depth there.
>>
>>12079598
You will one day realize the majority of mens fashion is subverting and deconstructing the established forms of male clothing

I mean a tom ford suit is original compared to a thom browne compared to hedi silmane compared to helmut lang compared to rick owens

But they're all the same pieces of clothing at the end of the day a jacket and a pair of pants.

Designers kind of just take existing forms and curate them within their own design philosphy or aesthetic haider ackermann is no different

(Although its usually a lot more complex than that when you start to decode designers vocabularies and signfiers)
>>
>>12079687
This ignores a number of things

The subtle changes in patterns add tons to manufacturing costs (this is why yeezy season one cost so much,kanye made million changes to the patterns)

Fabric costs, designers like dries van noten who create bespoke fabric every single season arent going down to mood fabric and buying gabardine at 20 bucks a yard

Larger brands arbitarily raising costs, anorak did a great rant on this years ago talking about how visvim is forced to raise their prices to still appear as a premium brand even if they don't need to/want to because larger brands raise their prices
>>
>>12080276
You're right. Honestly, I have admiration for people who can pull it off, but I'm not one of them. That documentary on the Congo dandies is strange and I sort of criticize them for having their priorities off, but I can't really criticize what they're doing when I'm exactly the same, and they still manage their money well.
>>
the past enslaves
>>
>>12079598

man have broad shoulders

he am strong and not even rag thing hide it

fashion am exercise in be attractive in strange conditions
>>
>>12079598

sounds like ur just autistic man
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.