[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the consensus about appropriation type wear?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: shemagh.jpg (18KB, 298x291px) Image search: [Google]
shemagh.jpg
18KB, 298x291px
What is the consensus about appropriation type wear?
>>
i'm a leftist, i believe in globalism, i don't believe in most forms of "appropriation" liberals talk about. One of the products of globalization is cultures and styles blending
>>
>>12039108
That's a fair evaluation.
>>
>>12039105
Appropriation should be taken as flattery.
There's no need to take offense straight away, let alone taking offense on behalf of the culture being appropriated.

Unless the person is appropriating to intentionally mock a culture.
It's all about context.
>>
>>12039108
>believing in globalism
absolutely shit tier
>>
how to pull of a kimono shirt? they look comfy
>>
>>12039105
People care that their special snowflake fashion is being worn by people who makes it look better.

Julius Caesar wrote about dreadlocked barbarians during his campaigns in campaigns in Gaul. Later the Germans were known to shave much of their head and spike what remained with pig fat in a classic mohawk style. Does this mean that every dreadlocked black person is appropriating white culture? Are Native Americans? of course not.

Leftist argument:
Exclusionary clothing perpetuates division among a society that should be uniting on class lines. To say that a person cannot wear what they want to wear is not only oppressive, but racist. It's not your business assuming another persons identity. You have no idea why they resonate with a certain cultures fashion style and it isn't their obligation to tell you.

conservative argument:
A person has the freedom to wear whatever they want. Its not the government or any private citizens place to restrict their freedom of speech in such a way. Every society has unique and bright ideas and nobody should ever feel like they cannot wear what they want into to protect someone elses infantile sensibilities.
>>
Fuck off with this "appropriation" nonsense.

Wear what you think looks good.
>>
>>12040904
>implying moral/political arguments matter

dont get autistic about it

you look stupid when you wear other cultures' garb, even moreso when there's people that won't fuck you over it. If wearing dreads even looked good, I wouldn't do it on the off chance someone hot would judge me and not be into me over it.
>>
>>12040921
hahahahahahhahahahhahahahahaha what
>>
appropriation is a complex concept that even the left is turning around at least partially against

But there are clear examples where it's not cool. White girl wearing a cheap knockoff sioux warrior's headdress at a music festival? Obviously disrespectful, and it makes that person look like a dumbshit. Or like, imagine hipsters dressing up like orthodox monks. Or stolen valor, or any shit like that.
>>
>>12040924
politics is the worst and not how you should think about dressing yourself
>>
>>12040946
your argument is so incredibly insecure and is even worse though
>>
>>12040921
How lonely are you? fuck those people.
>>
>>12039108
>I'm a leftist
>I believe in globalism

My guy who do this to yourself
>>
>>12040939
>White girl wearing a cheap knockoff sioux warrior's headdress at a music festival? Obviously disrespectful, and it makes that person look like a dumbshit. Or like, imagine hipsters dressing up like orthodox monks.

Shit that literally doesn't matter in the slightest? Who gives a fuck what some wha wha or god botherer thinks?
>>
i mean as an arab if you wear a keffiyeh/shemagh, or whatever the fuck you wanna call it, it wont offend anyone but you'll look like an autist wearing it, especially if you wear it around your neck
>>
>>12041999
I was looking at getting one of these, what makes it look so bad on anyone else?

I was looking into one instead of getting both a scarf and a balaclava for bad snow days
>>
File: 1478815639681.jpg (86KB, 400x285px)
1478815639681.jpg
86KB, 400x285px
>>12039108
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.