[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tl;dr nothing looks good because everything looks good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: example.jpg (71KB, 474x651px) Image search: [Google]
example.jpg
71KB, 474x651px
sup /fa/,

I started browsing this board when I was a freshman in hs (so like, 2009?) and it took me from a dumpy middle schooler to one of the more /fa/ kids in my school. I owe you guys a lot for that. Then I went to college in nyc, went from being a big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big one, adjusted and stepped up my /fa/ game even more. In the last few years I've gotten to know some cool art/club kids that pull some... lets say "avant garde" looks, all of which I really admire even if most of you guys would think they look goofy. Not to mention the looks you just see on the street here can be pretty crazy too.

My point with all this is, my relationship to "fashion" (or perhaps just dressing oneself in general) is a lot different now than it used to be. Whereas when I was first starting out I was obsessed with rules, do's and don't's, etc. these days I'll see someone wear fucking crocs on the street and think they look badass.

So now, when it comes to things like defining my own aesthetic, I guess recently I've been feeling kind of lost. I can't get inspo online because none of it is weird enough, yet I don't necessarily want to dress "weird" anyway... Now that I'm entering my mid-twenties, I feel as if I should be dressing as an adult, but when I look at what my adult coworkers wear it seems normie-tier and boring.

I hope my rambling on doesn't seem too self-centered, my point in making this thread is to ask: does anyone else here know these feels?
>>
File: image_40.jpg (166KB, 1242x1571px) Image search: [Google]
image_40.jpg
166KB, 1242x1571px
tldr
>>
>>11977338
why dont you just cop full "adultcore" outfits from your fave designers?
>>
>>11977342
Well, cost aside, it'd be boring. I enjoy the process of finding stuff (mostly vintage/thrift/handmade) and putting outfits together.
>>
You start by implying that you've moved past a rudimentary view of fashion as "do's" and "don't's", but what else is a self-consciously (as in intentionally) defined personal aesthetic than a collection of consistent do's and don't's?

If you're not naturally slipping into a tangible set of preferences (weird being an intangible) you actually might not be very interested in fashion, with some other motive lurking in the shadows. Why do you think celebrity advertising is such an effective method? We emulate people we see as being desirable packages. Off-hand speculating, it sounds to me like you're just trying to emulate the cool kids you've met because they were likable (or whatever) and represented visions of something you want to be (outside of just fashion).

I don't think you actually like fashion, you like the idea of being your idea of fashionable (and therefor cool like your art friends).
>>
>>11977338

I COMPREHEND WHAT YOU MEAN, ALTHOUGH I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THAT MYSELF.

WHAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING IS THE TRANSITION FROM SECOND TO THIRD FASHION MODE; ALL TRANSITIONS ENTAIL SOME DEGREE OF TRAUMA, AND IN YOUR CASE, THAT TRAUMA IS EXPERIENCED AS CONFUSION, AND "AWKWARDNESS", BUT LIKE ALL TRANSITIONS, IT WILL EVENTUALLY END, COLLAPSING ON THE THIRD FASHION MODE; THE RELEVANT FACTOR IS HOW YOU ARRIVE AT THE THIRD —AND LAST— MODE, BECAUSE HOW YOU ARRIVE AT IT IS WHAT WILL DETERMINE YOUR MANNER OF DRESS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

IN THE FIRST MODE, YOU WERE IGNORANT, AND DRESSED BASED ON IMMEDIATE PREFERENCE; IN THE SECOND MODE YOU LEARNED THE NORMS, AND FORMS, AND DRESSED ACCORDING TO THEM; IN THE THIRD MODE, YOU MUST SYNTHESIZE THE PREVIOUS TWO MODES, POSSESSING THE FORMAL KNOWLEDGE, USING IT AS A GUIDE, BUT DRESSING ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN STYLE.
>>
File: 45635144.cached.jpg (326KB, 964x1440px) Image search: [Google]
45635144.cached.jpg
326KB, 964x1440px
>>11977338
I want to dress like Liberace
>>
File: IMG_1673.jpg (136KB, 750x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1673.jpg
136KB, 750x1125px
>>11977338
Dress good adultcore
>>
>>11977338
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om0MrCOXPcE
>>
>>11977575

THIS
>>
>>11977338
i feel you, similar situation over here

>>11977800
this makes sense

>>11977575
this is weird, feels sort of exclusionary. maybe makes sense w/r/t fashion specifically (i.e. euroamerican trends) but thinking of style at large OP's post reflects interest rather than disinterest.
i mean personally i feel like anyone can be into style and fashion in whatever is appropriate in their station in life. the delivery driver to the rapper to the six figure accountant to the art kids to the art moms. it's about finding the grooves and in/outs of a wardrobe,

ehhh.

OP what inspires you? share some pictures.
>>
>>11977338
Hello fellow 09er. Sounds like your indecisive, and that you feel you have to be stuck in only one style, which is not the case. >>11977575
might actually be right, or you might just enjoy talking about fashion rather than being apart of it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.