[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help out a noob!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: s-l1600.jpg (117KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
117KB, 900x1200px
Hi effay. I've not got a massive amount of experience in having alterations done to garments, but I saw a vintage smoking jacket that I really liked (and the garment itself is pretty cheap..) but I'm not sure if I should buy it, fundamentally because it's just big for me. It's an online sale though, so I can't try the thing on.

The shoulders are pretty much perfect- side to side on the garment is 19", and I'm 18.75. However this is pretty much where the good news ends. I'm a 42 chest, and this thing is a 44, and I imagine cut slightly large around the chest for a 44. So I'm definitely going to need some alterations there. Waist could probably do with some material taken in also but not sure.

It's 32 inches long from neck to hem, which I think might be a bit long on me. I'm 5'10".

What do you guys think? Irredeemable? Too expensive to get changed?
>>
>>11963165

That jacket looks really goofy.
>>
>>11963222
cheers mate. what don't you like about it?
>>
bumping again
>>
>>11963165
looks velvet, and it looks like its pinned in the back to make it appear to have a modern cut.

I guess its possible to alter it to make it fit (as it looks to have been high-end at one point) though i dont think that youd find the end result worth it as it probably would require a few 100 dollarydoos to make it fit like you want to. I really would recommend shelling out the extra money to get a "real" smoking done, as given that you don't change size, they're good for many years and thus is a solid investment.

My advice would be to pass on this.
>>
>>11963390
yeah, it's cotton velvet and from what I can tell it was comissioned as a bespoke piece. What you've said about possibility of it being pinned is interesting, I'd not considered that. I'm also leaning towards passing on this (although the thing's at less than £50 which is why I'm so tempted in the first place.)

any recommendations for where to look at if I bought a new one?
>>
>>11963397
Well, the problem is that you're buying online, and if it isnt the jacket you think it is, its still 50 pounds in the lake. You can find vintage tuxedos that still works, but it's a big gamble buying it online. I have two smoking jackets, one of which is bespoke vintage bought for coffee money, but in that case i could try it out and make an evaluation based on how it actually fits and looks.

It depends on where you live and for what occasion you are buying it. Generally, if formal events are few and far between, id recommend renting at a real tailor. Otherwise, id say you should look around, maybe there are menswear/tailors in your vicinity where you could try things out and get an estimate. Generally, all decent and up tailors will let you rent.
>>
>>11963414
I'd rather play the long game and wait for something I like and will use repeatedly rather than spend money renting- I'm not completely bereft of evening wear.

I'm just cautious of having to drop too much money on alterations for this thing to get it into a good state. I agree that buying online is a bit of a risk....

I'm London based so there's not really any shortage of tailoring or formalwear hire shops
>>
>>11963397

A tailor can fix pretty much anything unless the shoulders don't fit (they can but it is a fucking hassle though)
That being said you should really try these things on before buying, it's way easier to find something secondhand and send it to a tailor
>>
>>11963425
If the shoulders don't fit on this then it's been misdescribed, that's pretty much the saving grace of the thing

the issue is cost! and if I need to take an inch off the hem then the pockets might look too low.

will probably miss this one
>>
>>11963425
yeah i've been checking around second hand shops locally too but not found much i've liked
>>
>>11963448
you live in london, theres maybe 50 vintage stores that would match what your looking for.

>>11963425
I disagree with this. I happen to have a tuxedo that my father had made mid 80s and while it fits me like a glove, the cut is very much outdated, and the fabric looks worn (or aged, im not sure how to put it). While the general idea of a smoking jacket is timeless, it follows the same fashion trends as suits do. Even if you could find an attolini suit made in the 1980s, you probably wouldnt want to be caught dead in it. Yes, you could probably have it tailored to "modern" standards, but at that point you'd spent enough to warrant a new attolini suit being bought.
>>
>>11963463
>>11963463
>you live in london, theres maybe 50 vintage stores that would match what your looking for.
>While the general idea of a smoking jacket is timeless, it follows the same fashion trends as suits do.

This is basically it. I've visited a few vintage stores and they're obviously quite hit-and miss. I've found little that's in my size, and what I have found, I haven't really liked. Do you have any personal favourite vintage stores?

The search continues I guess.
>>
>>11963474
there's a bunch near covent garden
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.