[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thrift store tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: 1466219492740.png (685KB, 1363x1078px) Image search: [Google]
1466219492740.png
685KB, 1363x1078px
Thrift store tips?
>>
>>11838620
>take your time
>go a couple times a month
>don't buy anything if you are not 100% sure you are going to wear it
>sometimes tayloring pieces is not the best
>>
>>11838629
very sound advice
>>
>>11838620
>>don't buy anything if you are not 100% sure you are going to wear it

Came to say this.
>>
>>11838629
Thrift stores here in the Philippines suck. It'll take the whole day, and 5 stores to find anything that isn't oversized trash. The best cop I got was an H&M shirt that looks like a henley. Plain white, but fits perfectly on me

Should I get close with the store owners?
>>
like >>11838629 this anon said: best advice is to shop very slowly
and honestly, fancier suburbs have better thrift stores than crappy suburbs
and you never know when some rich parents are gonna throw out their kids' high school clothes, so definitely go a few times a month
>>
>>11838640
honestly if I lived in the Philippines I'd just shop at Beams
>>
>>11838648
>cebu
Fuuuuck that shit boi, too far
>>
>>11838655
Fair enough but it's an option
There is no beams in U.S.A.
>>
>>11838659
Is it true that H&M is only middle-tier in the US? People seem to worship H&M here as a standard of expensive clothing, but then again I live in the middle-class part of Manila
>>
>>11838677
it's garbage, man
they rip off whatever happens to be trending in high-end street fashion
basically only suburban teens/twentysomethings who can't commit to a style will buy H&M
>>
>>11838677
H&M is where lower-middle class black people shop where I live (Maryland, USA). They sometimes have okay stuff, but I honestly don't like them at all. Sorry you live in the Philippines, dude. Can't you go to HK or Seoul for shopping? It's worth it. Just fly Cebu air since it's pretty cheap, and the flight to Seoul is really short. Pretty sure they have specials for round trip tickets to HK all the time.
>>
>>11838702
my Filipina coworkers said it's pretty easy to find nice Korean clothes even in the sticks
>>
>>11838695
Suggest to me 2 good brands, one for a tight budget and one when I shit out pesos. This is news to me

>>11838702
That would cost me a lot of money, being a college student and all. Will be working on that, though.

Have you ever gone shopping there? What was your budget?
>>
>>11838708
no
lurk more
>>
>>11838620
Go in affluent but clueless areas. Part of a city populated by rich but fashionable people will also have charity shops/thrift stores where clued up people work. If there's something worth a lot, they'll price it higher.

If you try shops in areas where wealthy people go to retire you'll tend to find the shop staff are less likely to recognise expensive labels and therefore won't price them accordingly, but you'll still get the expensive pieces donated.

If you go somewhere poor and clueless you'll get piles of crap and some high street stuff priced way too high.

I found a £180 whistles jumper for £6 by shopping in the right areas recently.
It helps to live near where rich people go to die.
>>
>>11839185
Are you in London? Know of any places in London I could go looking around? The only place I know of is a bunch of charity shops near Parsons Green, but that's it.
>>
>>11839273
Afraid not. I'm in the Cotswolds, so rich person retirement heaven.

Only ever tried London once and everything was expensive. But then I don't know London at all so it's probably my fault for not knowing where to look more than a lack of good places in London.
>>
i was forced by the government to volunteer in a thrift store for a few months 4 days a week while i was waiting to move city and all i got over those few months. was an average jacket, some old levis and a keyboard.

i thought i was gonna be rolling in cool things. but you quickly realize 99.999% of the shit that goes through those places is garbage. i was working with the clothes and there just wasn't anything good
>>
>>11839549
Thanks anyway senpai. I'll go up there one day to thrift.
>>
need higher end thrift store recs in Boston thx
>>
>>11838640
there are some really cool thrift stores rich people donate to around katipunan
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nkequ0HRag1t9alit.jpg (57KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nkequ0HRag1t9alit.jpg
57KB, 500x325px
Any recommended thriftshops in stockholm?
>>
>>11839664

Slussen, södermalm i överlag
>>
>>11838620
don't buy shit just cause it's cheap
find things that actually fit
I don't really buy denim anymore new, thrifts are full of perfectly good ones that I just have to tailor
>>
>>11839694
>find things that actually fit
>full of perfectly good ones that I just have to tailor
but if you have to tailor them they dont really fit do they
>>
>>11838620
are there any good thriftshops in germany?
preferable near hamburg
>>
>>11839664
yo it's tim
>>
>>11839807
nah im not him i just posted a random pic to draw attention to my question
>>
>>11839794
I think there's a difference between things that don't fit and things that need tailoring to work fully.

Not that poster, but I like buying vintage trousers because they tend to fit me better through the waist and hips than trousers I find new, but can be too wide/not tapered enough further down the legs.

That's not a fit issue, that's a cut issue and can be easily rectified by tailoring the legs. I assume they meant something like that.
>>
>>11838640
I would just kill myself if I had to live in that shithole third world country full of dirty knock off Mexicans.
>>
>>11838659

Why the fuck do they get BEAMS and we dont?

Also, where am I likely to find good shit in LA?
>>
>>11838643

Fancier subarbs mostly have fucking polos and shit. Go to the city thrift store, probably better stuff
>>
>>11839994
you're just a white earthling at the end of the day kid
>>
>>11839994
We have P. Duts. Checkmate

>>11839592
Thanks for the tip, might look around there soon
>>
Does online thrifting exist?

Grailed is a bad place to go for thrifting because everybody knows what the item is worth. Every now and then you get a really good deal, something that's lower than the lowest you've seen an item retail for, and you might cop and you've done good. But I don't think Grailed is a good place in general for saving money.

eBay has been good for me recently. I got some Helmut Lang shorts a month ago for $40 and just today I snagged a Helmut Lang mesh tee for $27. From lurking eBay, it seems like the best people to shop from are people that thrift then mark up the prices. The second best is rich people who want to get rid of their clothes.

Goodwill is p. decent but you almost never find good items for men. Normie brands go for $70 and Oliver Peoples glasses sometimes go for $5. I don't really waste my time checking clothes there, but I have a script alert me of any changes for certain keywords. If you have a gf then Goodwill would be great.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Krisvanassche-by-Oliver-People-sunglasses-33659582.html
>>
>>11840146
lol theres a ysl jacket on goodwill rn http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Yves-Saint-Laurent-Mens-Leather-Jacket-Size-36-33635738.html
>>
>>11840146
I'm big on eBay.

The best thing is rich people getting rid of clothes who can't spell/don't know how to take a good photo.

I've found excellent 99p leather boots from taking a punt on a bad photo and great deals from listings that either miss out or misspell something key - like a brand name - by doing the widest searches possible.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.