[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's more effay, continental or analytic philosophy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

File: witty.jpg (155KB, 1024x771px) Image search: [Google]
witty.jpg
155KB, 1024x771px
What's more effay, continental or analytic philosophy?
>>
>>11757716
How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real
>>
File: camus.jpg (133KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
camus.jpg
133KB, 1200x803px
probably continental, since analytics were always kinda aspies
>>
File: sartre.jpg (441KB, 1436x1038px) Image search: [Google]
sartre.jpg
441KB, 1436x1038px
>>
>>11757716
Continental philosophy wins by a landslide.
>>
File: Sanzio_01_Plato_Aristotle.jpg (187KB, 804x1052px) Image search: [Google]
Sanzio_01_Plato_Aristotle.jpg
187KB, 804x1052px
>>11757716
Ancient Greek
>>
File: AverroesColor[1].jpg (76KB, 352x276px) Image search: [Google]
AverroesColor[1].jpg
76KB, 352x276px
>>11757716
Islamic philosophy

now you know where draped fits came from
>>
>>11757989
kek this is literally what philosophy is
>muh deep thoughts meme pseudoscience
fucking faggots pipe smoking motherfuckers we're already past the meme greek days when we didn't know shit there's literally no use for philosophy nowadays
>>
>>11759006
also, is the world ready for turbans?
>>
>>11757716
Continental school came from warrior-poets.
Analytic school came from autistic monks.

Any question?
>>
>>11757716
Continental because of Sartre, Camus, Beauvoir, and Baudrillard.
>>
>>11759015
And with this one post, anon proceeded to make the whole discipline of philosophy implode on itself, resulting in a huge wreckage. But no matter, its nothing science cant fix. Out of the rubble emerges the one and only Neil de Grasse Tyson, with some dank kush on his right hand and a copy of Newton's Principia on his left. He hits his blunt then proceeds to whisper into anon's ear, "fuck yeah science". They proceed to have copious amounts of gay sex and browse reddit after due to both of their extreme faggotry.
>>
>>11757716
worst thread of all time? it could be
>>11760558
love it bb
>>
>>11760578
I have seen worst in this shit.
>continental or analytic philosophy
Bitches don't know about C.I. Lewis, Chisholm, Barry Smith, and a long etc.
>>
File: 1472307581499-sci.jpg (68KB, 523x929px) Image search: [Google]
1472307581499-sci.jpg
68KB, 523x929px
>>11760558
I love you anon
>>
File: positivist threads.png (346KB, 1829x788px) Image search: [Google]
positivist threads.png
346KB, 1829x788px
>>11759015
>>
>>11760558
Not an argument
>>
>>11759015
>because x then y
not an argument, just an ad hom attack :^)
>>
File: 1466623423320.png (261KB, 447x250px) Image search: [Google]
1466623423320.png
261KB, 447x250px
philosophy departments with a continental focus
>populated by laid back, experienced students who come from a variety of disciplines and european states, who are generally well cultured and up-to-date with modern fashion and trends
>use of recreational drugs and alcohol tolerated and even encouraged between doctoral students and faculty, both as a means of social relaxation and facilitating research
>female colleagues generally more sexually free and promiscuous due to adhering to radical notions of femininity
>looser restrictions and less emphasis on red tape due to the radical anti-authoritarian nature of much critical theory
>great inter-department bro relations with other arts and social sciences due to significant discourse overlap
>more potential for fame and media publicity in culture due to the strong grounding of critical theory in modern events

philosophy departments with an analytic focus
>filled with cultureless degenerates, ruthless no-fun careerists, ignorant wannabe STEMfags, and legitimately autistic people (sup Kripke)
>female colleagues generally ugly, sexually inhibited, and attempt to mimick the mannerisms of the men in their department for a greater claim to authority
>generally sober and baseline, engaging in drug use typically only results in spouting some pseudo-mystical bullshit about the universe and its inherent godel,escher bach beautiful mind mathematical structure and various other embarrassing forms of bullshit
>terrible relations with other departments due to the insistence on empirical methodology and naturalistic definitions
>>
>>11761052
Analytic phillosophy is actually right though
>>
>>11757716
dialectical materialism
>>
>>11761079
You´re confusing analytic philosophy with logic. I say this while assuming you define "right" (methods) as a mathematician, i.e. stringent reasoning adhering to an axiomatic postulate; there is no universally applicable "right" way to find out the "truth" of a matter.

PS. Aphorisms and value judgements wrapped in elegant prose are enticing to read, analyze and contemplate; dry, lifeless formalism that often lacks real-world implications is not.
>>
>>11761052
>use of recreational drugs and alcohol tolerated and even encouraged between doctoral students and faculty
>female colleagues generally more sexually free and promiscuous due to adhering to radical notions of femininity
>great inter-department bro relations with other arts and social sciences due to significant discourse overlap
so degenerates, druggies and whores, all treating philosophy as some kind of edgy art, ignoring any criticism with "it's subjective bro" or "it's just a beautiful idea bro"
>>
>>11761052
sadly, this is quite accurate.
>>
>>11758016

Literal retard
>>
File: 1469233877074.png (129KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1469233877074.png
129KB, 300x300px
>>11761079
>right

Mein Gott..
>>
continental is definitely more fashionable but has turned into critical theory circlejerk about nothing
analytical still may have some blood to give
>>
>>11761079
>right
wew
i wish fascists would just die
>>
1Continental philosophers are more effay than analytic philosophers
1.1 Reading analytic philosophy is more effay than reading continental philosophy.
1.12 If we picture someone reading Camus's The Stranger in public, they have their hair slicked back, they are wearing all black and possibly smoke a cigarette
1.13 They are embarrassing
1.14 If we imagine someone sitting reading Wittgenstein's Tractatus. They do not seem like they are reading to impress, and it is unlikely they are trying to imitate analytic style yet they appreciate his ideas
1.15 They get the pussy.
2 To read Continentals is simply to emphasize how uneffay you are compared to them.
2.1 There is also an inverse relationship between the effayness of the writer and the effayness of the work.
>>
>>11762666
what about someone reading Philisophical Investigations tho?

Also I think its important here to think about people who arent philosopy students, since theyre mostly badly dressed
>>
>>11762686
I was mostly joking with my post, but I think there is a serious point that if you can be well-versed in a field which is traditionally uneffay (analytic philosophy, mathematics, highly abstract, stereotypically autistic stuff) and manage to be dress well and come across as fashionable, then it doesn't get much more effay than that.
>>
>>11762698
for sure
>>
Continental is effay

But analytic is better though
>>
>>11757716
Continental is more effay but as philosophy it's helplessly retarded

Analytical is autism but has some factual worth

Really makes you think tbqhwy
>>
>>11762666
Just recently graduated in analytical philosophy, and this made me crease something awful.

I never used to laugh at things like that.

Analytic has actually turned me in to an aspi nerd. Or more of one than i was before.
>>
>>11759015
>pseudoscience
>science

lol STEMfags are embarrassing
>>
>>11758016
One eye on Existentialism, the other on the bitches
>>
>>11759015
philosophy is the basis of everything kiddo, it tells you what truth is, what qualifies as truth, how do you know you know, etc etc etc, no philosophy = no science, no computers to post fits online, also it has a huge impact on ethics and politics and how societies work
>>
File: 1468742949722.jpg (70KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468742949722.jpg
70KB, 720x720px
>>11760558
holy shit, you made this thread
>>
File: IMG_1028.jpg (21KB, 200x246px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1028.jpg
21KB, 200x246px
f o u c a u l t
o
u
c
a
u
l
t
>>
Nietzsche wasn't /fa/ but he was the last philosopher whose ideas didn't devolve into deliberate obfuscation via an endless stream of freshly made-up jargon. Among these obfuscators, Baudrillard provided some good insights into today's sociopolitical atmosphere but not into the core of philosophy. The others have provided nothing at all.
>>
MODS, please close this, is too cringey.
>>
>>11762666
Witty wasn´t an analytic philosopher, you dunce.

>>11764254
>Continental is more effay but as philosophy it's helplessly retarded
Judging by this sentence, you´re helplessly retarded.
>>
MODS, really, this is not helping anyone.
>>
>>11764496
so when do you plan on reading philosophers other than Nietzsche and Baudrillard?
>>
>>11764546
Are you implying that he has read either of them?
>>
philosophy is too difficult
i've tried reading being and time more than once and couldn't get very far. hegel is pretty goddamn difficult too
>>
>>11764568
you're going at it wrong, you need to start with a big encyclopedia of ancient philosophy and then go from there
>>
>>11764546
Wittgenstein was readable but provided no new insight. Analytics are generally more readable, but equally void of insight as the continentals. The sum total of analytic philosophy has effectively done nothing but re-state the Tractatus's first axiom over and over.
>>
>>11764599
>Wittgenstein was readable but provided no new insight.
You are insane
>>
>>11764606
The Tractatus is a useful manual for those who have not yet grasped how to logically sort their own thoughts. But there was nothing novel contained therein.
>>
freshman here
is Boston College focused primarily on analytic or continental philosophy? Also what even is the difference between the two
>>
>>11764616
You have no idea what you're talking about. The Tractatus is a wildly criticized work that doesn't represent Witt's oeuvre at all. Even him dismissed it later in his life.
>>
>>11764635
the difference is how much you the blame the author for not understanding.
If you blame the author for being too hard and obscure, congrats, you are an analytic aspie.
If you read the author, but came up with a weird ass interpretation, you are a cunty contie.
>>
>>11758016
Sartre was a faggot
>>
>>11764636
And now you're unfortunately the one lost. He never actually contradicted or repudiated the Tractatus.
>>
>>11764658
>what is Philosophical Investigations
are you trolling or what?
>>
>>11764658
kys
http://philosophy.uchicago.edu/faculty/files/conant/Wittgenstein's%20Later%20Criticisms%20of%20the%20Tractatus%20Published%20Version.pdf
>>
>>11764540
The tractatus is certainly within the Analytical tradition due to it's association with logical positivism, and Philosophical Investigations is still reaponding to arguments put forward by individusls in the analytic tradition.
>>
you're wasting your parents money you fucking gaybo
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.