[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How cold does Japan get in winter? Planning on going there in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: mount-fuji-8.jpg (954KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
mount-fuji-8.jpg
954KB, 2560x1440px
How cold does Japan get in winter? Planning on going there in December, through to late January.

I live in Melbourne, so the lowest temperature I've experienced is probably like -5 Celsius. And it doesn't snow here.

Would I need to buy some new clothes or can I stick with what I've already got? If it's the former, can someone rec me some good Japanese clothing for winter?
>>
>>11601231
It can get pretty cold depending on where you go.

Wikipedia has average temperature lows for most cities so if you want check that.
>>
i went there around january and around places like tokyo, -5 to -10 is about as cold as it gets

of course if you go up north to the snow and do skiing and shit it'll be a lot colder. i live in adelaide and it never gets that cold, but you can get away with just buying more layers (just cop a few thermals and wear them underneath your clothes, they help a lot)
>>
>>11601231
Depends on where you are, but in my experience, it can get cold as hell. You could always pick up additional stuff in Japan if you need - UNIQLO has great cold weather basics if you're on a budget.
>>
>>11601236
>>11601239
>>11601247
Thanks.

Just looked up the temps, not too bad really.

I plan on just going to sight-see the main cities, but spend most of my time in Tokyo.
>>
>>11601257

enjoy man. tokyo is a huge city and you can easily spend a week or more there

consider buying the JR Pass if you are going to lots of places (but first calculate and see if you are actually going to save money, cos they are pretty expensive)
>>
>>11601275
Thanks.

Holy fuck that's expensive. What does the JR Pass do? Is it like some really fast train that takes you to a bunch of places all over the country?
>>
>>11601285

basically it's unlimited rides on the JR-brand bullet trains (and also the regular trains inside the cities) for whatever time period you purchase.

when my friends and I went we bought the 14 day pass because we basically made our way from Tokyo all the way to the south and back and we saved ourselves a couple hundred bucks that way. for example a bullet train ride from Tokyo to Osaka costs roughly 90-100 AUD

however if you're going to be mainly staying in one area and not travelling a lot, it probably will not be worth the price
>>
>>11601300
Ah, I see. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>11601231
around 0C in tokyo/chiba

i was there the past december and january for 6 weeks and i was in a t shirt many days. at night i had a long coat over a jumper and i was more than fine
>>
>>11601247
Fuck off you cancerous retard.
>It could get cold as hell, don't forget to stock up on Uniqlo that is a Japanese brand I read about online!
You could not be more Reddit if you tried...
>>
>>11601285
The JR Pass was shit for me. It is too slow and if you compare the faster bullet trains instead, I found it cheaper just to fly on Jetstar Japan at a quarter the flight time and a third the price.
>>
>>11601330
I've been to both Japan and to UNIQLO in Japan in a number of different prefectures. Lots of people there, particularly in the cold regions, wear their puffy down jackets because (1) they are cheap, (2) they are easily found, and (3) they work.

>>11601300
This is phenomenal advice

>>11601328
Also true. If you're in more rural areas where you might bike/walk a lot, the cold gets to you more. In Tokyo, like any other city, you're much less likely to be outside for longer bouts of time.

(That said, it doesn't quite work like that during the summer - last time I was in Tokyo was during the push to lessen power usage due to Fukushima, so AC was in annoyingly short supply. Fuck that heat.)
>>
>>11601336
This. It was like 13 hours on a JR Pass shinkansen to get from Tokyo to Kyushu in the West. For $350 one way you could go on a slightly faster bullet train and arrive in 10 hours instead. Or $120 return for a 45 minute plane trip Narita to Hakata. Fuck the bullet trains for anything more than a few hundred miles.
>>
>>11601231
I live an hour from Tokyo. Its absolute coldest is -10 and that's pretty rare too. Expect single digits above zero and the occasional negatives during January.
>>
Fucking weebs
>>
>>11601365

https://youtu.be/Y_YE_LBDQM8
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.