[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why doesn't the sticky have anything on suits?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 2016.jpg (268KB, 736x721px) Image search: [Google]
2016.jpg
268KB, 736x721px
I need some advice on suits. The main function of this one will be for my dad's wedding but ideally I'd like it to be general enough I could use it for most other times you'd need a suit (I very very rarely ever need a suit).

this is what I was thinking
>blue suit & pants
>white shirt
>red tie
>brown shoes

and if I were to use it for a slightly more formal purpose I could wear a black tie and black shoes.

I'm not much into /fa/ but I manage to not dress like shit while looking alright. It's worked alright so far but suits seem to have more of a rigid and classic structure and I'd appreciate some protips or advice.
>>
>>11539829
Getting a new mom? Cool
Are you a groomsman? If so, then wear what you need to.

Your outfit would work if the suit isn't too dark
>>
I thought it was like 50% suits
Anyway there's like a million resources on this shit elsewhere so it's not like you need it
>>
>>11539829
that´s a business suit. I would recommend you an anthracite suit.
>>
>>11539911
nice man
>>
>>11539903
>wear what you need to
no dress code for us. Just get something nice. It's a smaller wedding and we're from a small town
>>
>>11539829
>why doesn't the sticky have anything on suits?
because it's a teenage board
>>
>>11539829
Too many young people on the board.

To answer more generally: Yes, that sounds like a good plan, though I'd be more specific. Assuming you want the most general suit that'd fit you well and be usable in the most broad set of situations:

You want a single-breasted double-vented navy suit. Probably Super 100s wool, but don't worry too much about fabric. Look for something in a dark or medium navy, don't go too light. The pants should be flat-fronted with no cuffing. Ideally, you could get one made (Black Lapel, Blank Label, Indochino, etc.), but one off-the-rack is fine too (check out J.Crew, Brooks Brothers, and MAYBE Banana Republic if on deep sale). No matter what you do, make sure the shoulders fit perfectly. No matter how you get your suit, bring it to a good tailor (check Yelp for reviews) and get it altered, no exceptions. With most suits, fit is more important than flash, so don't go crazy.

A white shirt is fine. Get something two-ply. Brooks Brothers is a good brand for long-lasting white shirts like that. Don't get anything other than cotton. Get it tailored with the suit - again, no exceptions. Assuming you're a normal dude, a point collar is the safest purchase - don't go spread collar unless you have a super wide face or you're fat.

For the tie? Red is totally fine. Make sure it matches the width of the suit lapel. Ask the store for assistance if you get confused in that regard. Make sure it has some sort of pattern, as otherwise the whole suit will look too basic. I recommend something understated.

For shoes, go dark brown, and get a matching belt (assuming you plan to ever wear the suit without a tie).

Get a crisp white handkerchief and iron it into a pocket square (Google how to do a basic square pocket square, there are a lot of techniques), put it in the suit pocket, and pretty much never remove it.

Don't dry clean the suit unless you have to, as the glue will degrade over time.
>>
File: Oxford_Blue_429669_i0.png (1KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
Oxford_Blue_429669_i0.png
1KB, 280x280px
>>11540233
I was thinking a colour close to pic related. I don't want too dark or navy a blue because I think that looks too "business". I sure as shit won't be getting anything much lighter though

thanks for the input!
>>
>>11540233
what glue
>>
>>11540233
i have a ct semi-spread collar shirt but am normal face. did i fuck up?
>>
>>11540262
That looks good!

>>11540304
Most non-handmade suits use glue in the shell. That's not inherently a hugely bad thing, but dry cleaning your suit way too much can degrade the glue.

(As a side note, it's much more likely that the dry cleaning process will break buttons - equally annoying).

>>11540314
Not at all. Point is just the safest collar for the most broad situations and for most people, there's nothing inherently wrong with spread/semi-spread.
>>
>>11539903
>Getting a new mom

What did he mean by this?
>>
>why doesn't the sticky have anything on suits?
cuz people rarely ask about them
>>
>>11540233

OP, anon here has the best of it. Get a navy suit, not a light blue. Navy can be worn with either brown or black shoes and belt. In addition, a navy suit is versatile and can be worn at business or personal functions.

On the pants, I agree: absolutely no pleats in the front. Don't get a cuff on the hem unless you're super tall. If you're tall, a cuff will help break up the lurch look.

Your jacket should have two buttons in the front.

A double-vented jacket isn't mandatory. Two vents is the English style (it helps with riding horses). In the US, a single vent in the middle of the back is most common. Either way looks good and is not out of place.

Good luck, and have fun at the wedding!
>>
>>11539829

OP, another note... MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR SUIT TAILORED AFTER YOU BUY IT. Make sure the pants are hemmed to the appropriate length. If you have big shoulders and a flat stomach, have the jacket taken in. Make sure the sleeves go no lower than your first knuckle.

Another note: make sure you undo the tacking. Tacking is the practice of stitching the vents and pockets closed before the suit is sold. This helps with transport and display. Once you own the suit, however, take those tacking stitches out with a seam ripper or sharp knife. Often the tailor will do it for you. Remove the label from the sleeve of the jacket too. You'll look sharp.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.