[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/JDG/ Japanese Designer General: No autism edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11

/JDG/ is a place to discuss general Japanese designer fashion from designers such as Yohji Yamamoto, Rei Kawakubo and Junya Watanabe (Comme des Garcons), Issey Miyake, Takahiro Miyashita (TheSoloist and Number (N)ine), Jun Takahashi (Undercover), Chitose Abe (Sacai), and such. Note that we do not allow discussion of Y3 and CdG Play as this is a fuccboi-free zone.

p.s.
This thread is for discussing japanese designers and their work not the moral repercussions of people reselling clothes on the internet save that shit for another thread
>>
>>11367572
===========================================================
GENERAL DESIGNER INFO:

>Where can I view japanese designers works?
It generally depends for different designers but the big three (Yohji, Rei, Issey) have a substantial archive at firstview.com, and catwalkpictures which is a paid archive has it's entire photo archive on europeana.eu (just takes a bit of savy searching to find) for more recent shows, NowFashion and Vogue has them.

>How do Japanese designers size?
For pants, japanese designers generally have a size range. It's size 28-30 for S or 2, 30-32 for M or 3, and 32-34 for L or 4. When going for pants, pick the size whose upper bound is closest to your actual size in US. For example, if you are a size 30, get S and not M.

For tops, its 1 for XS, 2 for S, 3 for M, 4 for L, and 5 for XL. Note that shirts tend to have slimmer cuts and are shorter in both sleeve length and body length.

For shoes, it's based on cm 28 = us10 or aprox. 28cm

As always when buying online, ask the seller for measurements. Also note that different brands size a bit differently but most follow common industry standards. As Japan doesn't use Freedom Units, they measure in centimeters.

Also, Japanese designers tend to cut smaller being, you know, Japanese.

ZenMarket has a rough guide here: http://zenmarket.jp/sizetable.aspx

>Where can I buy these?
Generally, its recommended to buy items directly from Japan via a proxy as they are much cheaper there (excluding shipping fees) and release exclusive stuff there. Yahoo JP and Rakuten are for this

If you are from the US, SSENSE has a good collection of these brands excluding TheSoloist. Other stores are Farfetch, Totokaelo, and La Garconne.

>How can I learn more about these brands?
Buy books, ask around the general, and lurk other fashion forums, Better yet, learn to read in Japanese. Some brands with an extensive history such as CDG require heaps of reading time and others which are heavily focused on Japan
>>
>>11367572
>>11367581
SPECIFIC DESIGNER INFO:

COMME DES GARCONS
>What are the lines of CDG?
CDG has two main lines - the ones designed by Rei and the ones by Junya. Wikipedia has a good reference for each lines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comme_des_Gar%C3%A7ons#Comme_des_Gar.C3.A7ons_lines

An important note is that for Junya, if it doesn't say Junya Watanabe MAN, it's for women.

>How does CDG size?
CDG mainline menswear generally skews oversized in its fit. It's pants can have a looser seat area compared to other pants and tends to cut with very little taper. However, being a brand with a huge history, CDG sizing is really inconsistent so it would be best to ask the seller for measurements or try it on in person.

>How can I learn more about CDG?
Nobody actually knows anything about CDG other than Rei herself. The brand is massive. Good thing however, there is no shortage of resources on Rei despite her being a recluse in terms on interviews. Dozens of books have been written about her so go check those out on Amazon.

YOHJI YAMAMOTO INFO:
See the Yohji Yamamoto write up on StyleForum: http://www.styleforum.net/t/280641/yohji-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-looser-fit-yohji-yamamoto-thread
>>
>>11367585
>>11367581
>>11367572
ISSEY MIYAKE INFO:
>What are the lines of Issey Miyake?
Issey Miyake's main line is Issey Miyake Men and Issey Miyake (Womenswear). They offer the stuff you see in runway shows. His other lines are Pleats Please which is a womenswear line that focuses on his innovations in pleating, Homme Plisse which is a similar to Pleats Please but for men and uses cutting-edge waterproof fabrics, HaaT offers classic Issey Miyake garments which are generally oversized, me Issey Miyake focuses on prints, Bao Bao Issey Miyake focuses on accessories such as bags with a geometric tile pattern, IN-EI Issey Miyake focuses on computer-generated garments that can be folded like an origami, and Reality Lab Issey Miyake is the brand all of Issey Miyake falls under. there are also a number of defunct lines that we will not touch on in this sticky

Technological innovation is a recurrent theme throughout Issey's work so no wonder all of his lines are focused on it.

Their official website has a great page on the history of the brand and their lines here: http://www.isseymiyake.com/en/corporate/history.html

>How does Issey Miyake size?
1-5 numerical sizing, for sweaters everyone can fit a size 3,
2 in outerwear is supposed to be a small-medium but tends to fit like a 48 mroe than it does a 46
as for everything else ask the seller for measurements

>How can I learn more about Issey Miyake specifically?
Two books I would recommend are the books about Issey Miyake and Irving Penn and the book Issey Miyake by Taschen. You can buy both for less than $100 in Amazon. FirstView has a good archive on him and YouTube has a couple of old shows of his as well as a documentary on him.
>>
>>11367602
>>11367585
>>11367581
>>11367572

Bonus:
if you're a bit dense and can't figure out designer names in Japanese
http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3793

thread image is from Undercover AW09

also if you want to view the sticky in it's full form or suggest changes it's here

http://pastebin.com/3FipeC0F
>>
with all the jap mag threads i suppose there should be a bit added to the sticky for a general suggestion for which magazines to check out

sense
huge
mens non no
prodism
pen
seem to be the best for high fashion ones like go outside,2nd,lightning, and popeye are a bit shit imo but may appeal to the more casual fashion fan
>>
File: ss16 balloon.jpg (107KB, 632x1427px) Image search: [Google]
ss16 balloon.jpg
107KB, 632x1427px
Hi /JDG/. Just bought these balloon trousers, can't wait for em to come in the mail.
>>
>>11367830
swaggie
>>
>>11367602
Old Issey Miyake Womens can go up pretty high in tagged sizes. I've seen a 9 which had a 38" chest.
In Issey Miyake Men a Medium fits as a EU48/50 and a Large fits as EU50/52.
>>
>>11367623
>using "jap" unironically
kys australian sliime. i know who you are
>>
>>11367868
i'm not from Australia
i use jap because it's a short form for japanese,always thought the "racist" connatations were stupid
also this is 4chan fuck off
>>
>>11367830
noice

>>11367623
we should do magazine scans sometimes. people post some of the mags they got

>>11367572
we should just replace all the "how does x size" with ask the seller for measurements then the general sizing info
>>
>>11367868
1. He did not use the term "jap" to refer to a person.
2. "Jap" is a widely accepted abbreviation for "Japanese" in many countries of the world that is often used by English-speaking Japanese people themselves.

Your ethnocentric assumptions are both stupid and arrogant.
>>
>>11367885
i have a ton of magazines with uc content but honestly can't be fucked to scan them
>>
>>11367830
gabardine? nice work anon. I remember I liked ln-cc styling of the balloon pants. check out their pintrest ss13
>>
File: Comme.jpg (106KB, 666x999px) Image search: [Google]
Comme.jpg
106KB, 666x999px
Since /jdg/ wasn't up last paris fashion week, I suppose we should discuss collections from then to get some discussion going on here. To get the ball rolling, let's talk about CDG AW16 Womenswear. I would totally equip this as an armor set for an RPG character desu.

>inb4 muh juxtaposition of masculine and feminine elements
>>
Can someone explain why Julius_7 has 2 diffusion brands? NILoS and MA_julius? Any obvious differences?
>>
>>11368734
NILoS is not diffusion, just a new project. It's less of everything.
>>
UC backpack ending in a few hours if anybodys into that, at 10,000 yen atm

don't care/know much about UC backpacks but Ive seen similar ones go for more than this, so decent deal no

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r152628685
>>
>>11368845
Looks like it's from ss09
>>
File: 900x900px-LL-ded12aa7_DSCF7829.jpg (48KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
900x900px-LL-ded12aa7_DSCF7829.jpg
48KB, 600x900px
Can we get some Yohji inspo, suits especially.
>>
>>11367985
I like the shoes
>>
>>11369171
same. they look hella comfy

>>11369168
here
>>
Can we discussed Uniqlo here? I can't afford that other stuff you mentioned OP
>>
make this the next thread's image lads
>>
>>11367581
sorry im having trouble understanding this, so if i wanted to buy some yohji shirts should i size up if i like a slightly looser fit, other than that thanks for the info
>>
File: KIM_0008.jpg (915KB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
KIM_0008.jpg
915KB, 2000x3000px
sacai way too goat right now
>>
>>11369190
check the sf guide it goes in depth on sizing

>>11369207
nigga i tried holding some of these garments and they felt so fucking good to touch
>>
>>11369168
every fucking yyph fit has those shoes. it's literally the only good shoes he's ever made.
>>
>>11369177
What is there to discuss about Uniqlo? It's a fucking fast fashion brand thats highly accessible and has information about it everywhere
>>
File: b87049c78aeeedc2d21bb779e51532fe.jpg (272KB, 1100x1650px) Image search: [Google]
b87049c78aeeedc2d21bb779e51532fe.jpg
272KB, 1100x1650px
selling Junya pants from '06
I guess this is the target audience
https://www.grailed.com/listings/686616-Junya-Watanabe-Junya-Watanabe-AW06-runway-piece--PANTS-
>>
DOPE SACAI SHIT NIGGAS

Belted Coat - http://page24.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q95212552

Sacai x Hender Scheme Black Sandals - http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f180396247

Blazer - http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r122449550 (signature Sacai piece)
>>
>>11370372
pieces are alright but the prices are shit
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.