[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ethical fashion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 4_fashion-bloggers-Sweatshop.jpg (368KB, 900x582px) Image search: [Google]
4_fashion-bloggers-Sweatshop.jpg
368KB, 900x582px
Do you care about how your clothing is made? Do Asian workers deserve enough money to be able to buy the clothing they manufacture? Is slavery and child labour OK, as long as we are the ones profiting? Do you ever check the country of origin before you decide if you're going to buy that new cape, or is price all that matters?
>>
I try and buy as much as possible made in first world countries even though I know the wool/cotton/other raw material was probably sourced from a third world country.

Unless you wear things like Shetland sweaters with British wool or sneakers with Italian leather (even then, where does the rubber for the soles come from?) , its pretty much impossible).

At least I know the shit I get is always better quality than H&M or Zara trash
>>
>>11257363
1) most good stuff is made in europe or a similar place.

2) The ethicalness of fashion is blown out of proportion at times, usually its just a shop with good benefits

3) it provides jobs to developing nations which wouldnt have otherwise exsisted.

4) child labor is not as huge outside of nike esque stuff. Plus at 14+ its not child labor.

5)We arent the ones profiting in the end since it developes their nation.

6)buying purely because of price is a terrible method
>>
There is no such as ethical consumption under capitalism
>>
>>11257574
>>11257369
these guys are right
>>
>>11257574
>There is no such as ethical consumption under capitalism

By and large I agree. I still try to purchase things manufactured as close to me as possible to reduce the environmental impacts of my consumption and to keep money circulating in local economies.
>>
Sweatshops are the best jobs people can have in the "3 world". Fairtrade is a huge fucking shit, everybody knows that. Brands that actually care for the safty of their workers are mentioned in "Doing good better". But I dont remember any brand specifically.I will come back to this thread when I'll have the book.
>>
>>11257574
Shut up you commie memester
>>
Of course i don't. There will always be drones doing the menial shit. Those who have, fundamentally deserve to. They are literally more valuable as human beings. Random chingy chongs having shitty lives to improve ours is the way society inherintly functions, but on a macro scale.
>>
File: 1386923293823.png (45KB, 532x557px) Image search: [Google]
1386923293823.png
45KB, 532x557px
>>11257369
> most good stuff is made in europe or a similar place.
That's a fallacy. Most stuff available for purchase from every country sucks; the qc in very high end Chinese factories is sometimes much higher than that in luxury Japanese, American, or European companies.

> The ethicalness of fashion is blown out of proportion at times, usually its just a shop with good benefits
If you can't see through a marketing gimmick then you're clearly not part of the tribe (pic related)

> it provides jobs to developing nations which wouldnt have otherwise exsisted.
That's a typical argument that textile industry lobbyists make to justify the low wages and horrific working conditions. Yes, dyeing fabric in a facility with zero safety regulations and frequent workplace injuries is better than being forced into child prostitution or any other exploitation but not by a lot. Jobs were moved overseas mainly to bust unions and increase corporate profits, not to improve the unemployment rates in Phnom Penh

> child labor is not as huge outside of nike esque stuff. Plus at 14+ its not child labor.
Read a little about the modern day garment industry before accusing America's biggest sports brand of investing in child labor. Their hands are about as clean as you'll ever see (it's smaller brands like Russell Athletics, Umbro, and Slazenger that you need to cite, not Nike)....honestly they know that they can't afford more bad press

> We arent the ones profiting in the end since it developes their nation.
Wait I just realized that this is a troll post I need to abort.

> buying purely because of price is a terrible method
Nearly this entire board buys based on price
"They usually cost 50 but I only paid 35 thanks to coupon codes feels good man" is basically every third post on /fa/
Again, refer to pic related
>>
At least they got a job right
>>
It's difficult to believe that companies like H&M, Uniqlo and other international fast fashion chains can produce so much clothing for such a low price, while maintaining ethical working condition for their workers. That said however, it's also difficult to argue against the idea that without the clothing industry using low skill labour in clothing factories, the overwhelming majority of those working in these clothing factories would be out of a job.

So it's a catch 22. I think a best case scenario is where workers health and rights are taken seriously, whilst still being able to produce enough clothes to cater for demand.

It certainly doesn't help that attitudes to clothing and fashion nowadays seem to support the idea of "buying more clothes more often for cheaper" rather than "buying higher quality clothes that will last longer but may be slightly more expensive"
>>
I don't care too much about asian workers but I care about workers in europe (and other nice countries) so I buy clothes made in ok countries.
>>
>>11259553
Haiti used to have artisan workshops and now they have sweatshops
Blame globalization for that
>>
The more people and animals who are exploited to make my clothing, the more /fa/ I feel about wearing. I get a rock hard boner every time I put on my mink coat made by kids chained to a table in Vietnam to go out for my veal supper. It's their fault for not emigrating to America.
>>
>>11257369
China factories are top tier believe it or not.
>>
So long as quality isn't compromised, I don't really care.

And before anyone jumps on the child labor is horrible, stop the sweatshop rhetoric, consider that oftentimes the people living in those 3rd world countries don't have any better alternatives for a living. Yes, it's unfair that for the same production in Europe/USA would yield higher pays for workers and foreign workers work for dirt cheap. But it still provides them their livelihood.
>>
File: oeMCOwK.png (97KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
oeMCOwK.png
97KB, 600x558px
>>11257369
>5)We arent the ones profiting in the end since it developes their nation.
>>11259001
>Sweatshops are the best jobs people can have in the "3 world".
>>11259532
>At least they got a job right
>>11259553
>without the clothing industry using low skill labour in clothing factories, the overwhelming majority of those working in these clothing factories would be out of a job.
>>11259589
>oftentimes the people living in those 3rd world countries don't have any better alternatives for a living.

oh yeah I wonder what they did before our benevolent corporations chose to outsource manufacturing to their countries

maybe they were producing things for themselves like their own food, but then with global trade those things had to compete with imported commodities from subsidized industries

maybe small scale agriculture etc became impossible and people had to urbanize to try to make a living

maybe multinational corporations use this abundance of labor power to have factory owners compete with each other trying to be as cheap as possible

maybe political resistance against the free market doctrine has been repressed for the last 50 years

maybe the class of laborers desperate enough to work under any conditions was created in parallel with their sweatshop career opportunities

just not giving a shit is less unattractive than attempting to rationalize exploitation
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.