[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making Fashion more International/Accessible/Innovative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 16

File: AfricanFashion.jpg (50KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
AfricanFashion.jpg
50KB, 432x432px
Hey /fa/,

I'm not a rich person, but I still spend around €3000 per season on clothes, and I enjoy it. I usually shop at luisaviaroma, theCorner, mrPorter, etc. However, I find that their inventory bores me more and more each year. It's always the same, almost always the same designers, mostly the same styles, and sometimes even the same colourways. The only innovative (runway) stuff is almost always dry clean only, and for me this is not an option currently. I feel the multi-billion dollar brands are running out of ideas, but are too greedy still to step down for someone new (like based Margiela did, hallowed be his name).

I moved into a place where I will be living for 2 years only, so I was at IKEA yesterday to shop furniture. The furniture seems solid and is really cheap - and I wondered how great it was that IKEA improves the lives of so many people. At the same time the most famous fashion brands sell boring designs marked up 400%+. I also just watched the documentary on Congolese SAPE and how these people mix African colourways with western-style clothes.

Now to bring the thoughts together: I don't want to wear Italian/French chic for the rest of my life. It's boring, it's cyclical, and brands that jump on the American-popculture bandwagon like Balmain or SLP make me cringe. At the same time, I would love to wear some Congolese inspired clothes, or Indonesian, or something else from all the many cultures and styles around the world. Unfortunately, these people often lack the know-how of European tailoring. Ultimately I would rather invest my €3000 per season with some Third-World clothes manufacturer who can appreciate it more than a multi-billion dollar company.

My question is now: How do I go about this? Are there sites where I can browse small clothes manufacturers? How do we as a community go about this? I'm sure everybody would appreciate more diversity in clothing, and it would even push the price down.
>>
File: mens-wear-indian-9.jpg (65KB, 432x600px) Image search: [Google]
mens-wear-indian-9.jpg
65KB, 432x600px
Let's dump some international fashion.
>>
>>
>>
http://www.yevuclothing.com/lookbook/
>>
File: 0125.jpg (124KB, 620x940px) Image search: [Google]
0125.jpg
124KB, 620x940px
Indonesian
>>
>>10711897
yo the best way to go about this is check out an international fashion fair
- there was one in London last February. Designers from each nation set
out exhibits and then stand by them all day! Its pretty cool - some stuff is
obviously inspired by current trends and other stuff is too formal to be
that relevant to me but there was a pretty good selection.
>>
>>10711940
Totally bookmarked this. Need more.
>>
>>10711897
>small clothes manufacturers
http://www.storymfg.com/
Apparently it's a part of 'slow fashion'
>>
Interesting thread OP :)
>>
>>
File: Fashion-Saudi-Arabia-1.jpg (69KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
Fashion-Saudi-Arabia-1.jpg
69KB, 480x720px
>>10712009
I'm not familar with this topic at all. All images are random google search.
>>
File: dashiki.jpg (78KB, 547x648px) Image search: [Google]
dashiki.jpg
78KB, 547x648px
>>
>>10711960
That's more of a vegan brand though. Here's another vegan shoe brand:

http://www.rombaut.com
>>
File: aaa.jpg (123KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
123KB, 682x1024px
http://www.africanprintinfashion.com/2014/02/prints-of-week-toure-designs.html
>>
File: dun goddess.jpg (57KB, 387x580px) Image search: [Google]
dun goddess.jpg
57KB, 387x580px
had to pull out my book, there is an african brand called sun goddess, probably start from there
>>
>>
File: streetstyle.jpg (189KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
streetstyle.jpg
189KB, 736x1104px
>>
File: dian_pelagi.jpg (250KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
dian_pelagi.jpg
250KB, 1536x1536px
>>
>>10712076
>vegan
What do you mean with this?
>>
>>10712119
They don't use animal products (leather/fur) in their clothes and shoes. Fashion shoes are usually made of leather.
>>
File: brazilarabfashion.jpg (170KB, 700x680px) Image search: [Google]
brazilarabfashion.jpg
170KB, 700x680px
>>
>>10711897
What I mean by accessible is:

>Teach Africans how to manufacture good clothing
>They sell it to the world - Good quality, but cheaper than Europeans designers who imitate African styles
>Africans can sustain themselves better while the world has more fashion choice
>>
>>10712148
>>Teach Africans how to manufacture good clothing

>>10711897
>Unfortunately, these people often lack the know-how of European tailoring.

Are you saying that European tailoring is better than Third-World/African tailoring?
Could you expand on this?
>>
>>10712432
Not op, but dude, obviously European tailoring is the best, specifically Italy and France are outstanding and better than the rest by a huge amount. The next best thing is Japan.
>>
>>10712607
But why?
>>
>>10712432
Tailoring and materials manufacture takes a lot of know-how. If you think you can just sew together peices of cloth - that will absolutely look like ass. Just compare the quality of H&M clothing to European-made designer clothing.

You need to cut the exact the shapes, the material needs to have exact properties, and you need to sew in exact ways in exact places to put it all together - Make one mistake you can trash the whole thing. Moreoever, the clothing needs to remain functional when you move in all kinds of ways, when you sweat or it rains, and when you wash it it has to retain its shape. And the human body itself is a amorphic figure - your arms aren't actually straight, your torso isn't a cylinder/cuboid, etc. Tailoring is really difficult, even if you know how to use the sewing machine.
>>
>>10712651
I'm not a tailor, so this is the best explaination I can offer. If you don't believe me, either:

a) Inspect a expensive designer piece like a suit jacket and ask yourself if you could've done this, or
b) Try to sew your own t-shirt and make it look like a designer t-shirt - you'll fail miserably even if you try 50 times.
>>
>>10712665
>Tailoring and materials manufacture takes a lot of know-how
>>10712688

Sure, tailoring is not an easy task, but it does not explain why Africa is less proficient in tailoring. Why would they know less? Is it because of the economic or political situation?

I keep asking because I don't know where OP got the idea that Africa, or any other Third World country, can't make good clothing.
>>
http://www.africafashionweeklondon.com/
>>
>>10712755
You really don't seem to grasp how know-how is handed down. African (and other third world) countries were never developed, they never had clothes manufactories, never learned how to use sewing machines, they never had tailoring schools.

They are bad tailors for the same reasons they are bad engineers. You don't get born with the ability to do difficult tasks.

If however some first world countries would make the effort to educate the tailors over there - like an internship in Europe, or sending people down there as teachers, they would receive the know-how and could then spread it by themselves.
>>
>>10711897

Good thread OP. Feel the same way occasionally. Hope this thread progresses further.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.