[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Neo-1930s look?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 13

File: the_untouchables_original.jpg (526KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the_untouchables_original.jpg
526KB, 1920x1080px
Not sure how to describe this, but it's the style from films like Lawless, The Untouchables, Public Enemies, etc. Appalachian moonshiner maybe? The thing that catches my eye are the coats, vests, trousers, rolled sleeves, shoes, etc

Is there a way to pull this off today without looking like a sperg? I live in a pretty hipsterish city thats really into the "historic vintage" look.
>No, I'm not trying to justify wearing a fedora despite pic
>>
>>10707672
They wore Heavy wool suits back then because they had no central heating in most places. You can wear similar things just wear suits and blazers and the like Just get good shoes and the fit right and the rest should work.
>>
>>10707687
I'm really new to /fa/ so I'm not sure what is appropriate. But is something like (pic) this doable as everyday casual wear?

To keep it safe, I've generally stuck with earth tones, and jackets.
>>
>>10707672
You're looking for Americana/Heritage. Brands like Pendleton, Woolrich, Filson, Pointer, etc.
>>
>>10707672
>without looking like a sperg

Litterally anything looks spergy if you aren't confidant with it. The trick to pulling off any fashion is to be attractive and look comfortable in it.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (58KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
58KB, 800x533px
Way ahead of you

Pic related, doesn't it look great?
>>
>>10707761

nardwuar?
>>
>>10707726
Its doable as long as you aren't running about in it but if you are going to make a change do it slowly otherwise you'll be made fun of. You could watch old films for inspiration like Fred Astaire. Just remember Confidence is key.
>>
>>10707768
>7
KEEP ON ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD AAAAND
>>
>>10707811
Who are you? AMIRITE?
>>
>>10707726
it is if you work in an office

otherwise you're just a

-sports coats/cardigans/shirts are totally fine as long as you are >18, as long as you don't make it look outdated. something like chinos/jeans+shirt/cardigan can be worn daily.

-DO NOT wear slacks as a casual outfit, it will most 100% make you look like a sperg.

-as for ties, i'd leave 'em be if i were you. they usually give off a pretty 'try hard' vibe when worn outside of work, maybe if you're like a guitarist in a band or a hair dresser or something it can work, but i personally wouldnt.

-i personally loathe wearing sneakers under something like a sportscoat, there's plenty of trendy leather shoes that can go with a more 'classic' look, think funky schemes, like blue, green, ton sur ton, etc. it's not really my thing, but if you want to be a bit more flashy, you can spice up a pair of ordinary brogues with some different colored laces, but beware of going to far.

just remember that you aren't trying to look like someone who actually existed in 1930, if you do that you will fail. Instead, going to be doing modern clothes with a classical twist.
>>
>>10708035
>>10707726

in response to that pick you posted, do not wear dress pants+shirt+vest (or waistcoat, gilet, whatever you call it) unless you're going to work in an office, or you're just coming from the office
>>
>>10707811
doot doola doot doo
>>
>>10708035
this man is smart.
>>
>>10707753
>>10707758
>>10707810
>>10708035
>>10708040
Alright, this makes sense. Thanks
>>
File: ige3rZD.jpg (377KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ige3rZD.jpg
377KB, 1600x1200px
>>10708035
>cardigans
>>10708040
/k/ here, being the autist that I am, do you think wearing something like what you described look out of place at the range? If it helps, my interests are in the firearms from that time period. pic sort've related
>>
>>10709235

it probably works everywhere, depending on whether you dress appropriate to where you are and who you are.

going to a range is a sporting activity, so you'll want to match that. Wearing a fine cardigan like in pic >>10708035
seems like a good way to scuff up you clothes. Try to work your way from what is practical to what looks good. Proper pair of jeans and some good (leather) boots is a good start. A pullover goes well with that, I like one's with a shawl collar (very classic), but there's plenty of variations. You'll already look 10x classier than most if you just wear a pair of nice leather shoes and a classic pullover without print.

You can wear a dress shirt under it, but if you find it looks too dressy don't be afraid to switch to a plain t-shirt. Depending on the weather i'd suggest wearing either a blazer/sports coat over top, a bodywarmer or an overcoat.

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend staying away from a sports coat for at least a little bit. they can and will make you look somewhat stuffy. Don't let that scare you though, they are an awesome garment when worn right. jeans should match the sports coat, baggy jeans are out of the question. don't get a sports coat that is too dressy (blazers can be tricky because of this).

Always try to evolve your style, you can get away with a lot (dandy-wise) if you build it up over time, just as long as it doesn't look like you're playing dress up.
>>
This is the definition of fedoracore. They all try to look like this.
>>
>>10708048
Say my catchphrase
>>
from the thumbnail i thought Sean was using a selfie stick LMAO
>>
File: UcU1R8C.jpg (266KB, 1200x817px) Image search: [Google]
UcU1R8C.jpg
266KB, 1200x817px
Silhouette is the most important thing to differentiate neo-1930s from fedoracore. What you need for proper neo-1930s:
>Heavier, thicker, more rustic fabrics but not extremely loud patterns. Crisp and shiny is your enemy, as are shirts that are darker than your pants
>Pants that sit at your natural waist (or higher), super wide legs (10" diameter at cuff minimum) that are hemmed with maybe a quarter break. Skinny pants are 1960s and 1890s
>Shoes should be round-toed or have a spade sole, but detailing is up to you.
>If you ever go for hats, go for wide newsboy caps. Otherwise don't bother because fedoras are ruined for everyone except people who are at least 95% historically accurate
The 1930s had a structured silhouette with clean lines - not baggy like the 1940s/80s but not super thin either.

A couple of brands:
>Adjustable Costume
>Aero Leather
>Freewheelers
>Levi's Vintage Clothing (1933 denim in particular)
>Red Wings
>RRL
>Simon James Cathcart
>Sugar Cane
>>
File: 8b27338v.jpg (197KB, 1024x906px) Image search: [Google]
8b27338v.jpg
197KB, 1024x906px
>>
File: bce06a19c5a99799ea8865353cf09f44.jpg (105KB, 736x1106px) Image search: [Google]
bce06a19c5a99799ea8865353cf09f44.jpg
105KB, 736x1106px
>>
See: BSG and Caprica
>>
>>10713420
Gattaca?
>>
>>10707761
these guys just need to age like 40 years and they'll look fine
>>
File: IMG_3281.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3281.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
>>10707672
That photo reminds me of when I go hunting.
>>
File: Mid30sDarkGreySuitJacketFront.jpg (235KB, 921x640px) Image search: [Google]
Mid30sDarkGreySuitJacketFront.jpg
235KB, 921x640px
>>10711742
Good point about needing to be historically accurate to pull this off. The 'modern twist lel' doesn't really apply to this aesthetic. It will only work if you know how it should look like.

If you want to wear a drape cut suit a la Clark Gable you're probably going to need to go bespoke or have some carefully picked pieces (most likely vintage). Very hard to realistically achieve if you don't have a competent tailor or vintage thrift stores. It's a shame all menswear designers are still exclusively pushing the low rise meme and paper thin fabrics.

And to reiterate, don't go for a hat unless you have the look at least 90% down. It will look awful. I can answer some questions if anyone wants.
>>
File: df_dat_0006640.jpg (618KB, 1049x1600px) Image search: [Google]
df_dat_0006640.jpg
618KB, 1049x1600px
>>10715357
Apparel Arts illustrations are still treated as gospel for places like StyleForum, and much of the modern workwear aesthetic has its roots in the 1930s.

I've always thought that 1930s clothing was the easiest to pull off in a modern setting because the proportions are so moderate - it's really just a couple of details away from the golden medium that menswear keeps returning to. Those details are often well-thought-out and give more visual interest to basic items without changing the proportions. Modern fashion is all about proportion play, which is incredibly difficult to get right.
>>
>>10707672
where do I find more non cringeworthy 30s inspo
>>
>>10717110
pretty much anything from http://bamfstyle.com/tag/1930s/
>>
>>10717110
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forums/
>>
File: 2ep1xqd.jpg (916KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
2ep1xqd.jpg
916KB, 1600x1067px
>>10717161
>http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forums/
>mfw I actually go there to see how people retro their homes
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.