[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start designing.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_nk2wrdMIQG1trox0ho1_540.jpg (230KB, 540x810px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nk2wrdMIQG1trox0ho1_540.jpg
230KB, 540x810px
Hi, I've seen a couple topics on this before but never actually looked into the subject of fashion design until around a year ago.

I noticed that I am far more passionate about clothing and fashion than any other field of work or art, and would love to work as a fashion designer or even start up a small shop to sell my designs. However, apart from the talent and creativity aspect of the trade I know nothing of the business part of it.

What does it take to become a fashion designer? What kind of schooling and experience is necessary? How would a designer establish their own brand, even as small as a web shop?

Any help or advice at all would be very much appreciated. Fashion is a subject I am very passionate about and I would love some guidance on where to take it.
>>
Just try and get an internship anywhere. Make sure you live in a city (NY preferably). Just do your best to get your foot in the door on anything fashion related( shoots, shows, apprenticeships) You could always try making stuff and putting it on ig. Sell your asshole to someone famous
>>
>>10651115

I'm going to be blunt.

You are NOT going to work for a fashion company unless you study fashion design at a university level. Also big brands usually take people from Parsons, London College or the Royal College of Art (among others at about the same level of prestige). This means that you will need a fuckload of money to get inside, a fantastic portfolio of design and art fundamentals and demonstrate big motivation to work in the field. Just because you browse /fa/ and think you dress well is not goig to cut it.

Also, brand building is a very complex activity so stamping a logo in a Hanes tee and advertising to your friends in Facebook is pointless and will only give you frustration.

There are some stories about people who get their foot in by working in the mailroom at a big company, but you won't end up doing anything even remotely related to design.

Yours truly, a 24 years old industrial designer.

Go home kid. Come back when you are over 18.
>>
Good luck

I'm a former student with a master degree of a supposed great school of design in Paris ( Yves Saint Laurent and Damir Dorma studied there)

And I barely make it
>>
>>10652814
good advice friend

it's the unfortunate truth of many creative-based professions
>>
the market is filled with an insane amount of people who have studied to be, or are trying to be, a designer
that position is incredibly difficult to fill
not only would you need to follow >>10652814, but you would need to add something to the industry
a degree just gets them to pay attention to you, but you need to be doing something amazing as well.

i chose the production side instead of design, mostly because i am not artistic
there are many more professions than designer/creative director
>>
>>10652814
will industrial design help? ipm getting into that in 1 year, my plan is starying making bags and sell them with close friends then grow that idea with iindustrial deisgn knowledge and make my own brand

IMHO all you need is good taste, a lot of creativity and the technical knowledge, and ofc passion about the subject, thats how entreprenours and pioneers do it
>>
>>10653330

Learning brand management helps more than anything. I'll give you an example:

A Spanish brand of sunglasses called Hawkers went from being nobodies to sponsoring the LA Lakers in no time. Their product is a Wayfarer knockoff made in bulk in China by the same providers that sell you directly at Aliexpress. However, they sell at a very low retail price, they became known using a strategy of giving away the product to celebrities and football players with a high amount of followers of their target age in social media. They also care about the packaging and the goodies they give away with every purchase, making them look high-end even though the case is just matte cardboard with a shiny varnish coat for the logo and the cleaning cloth is a dollar store microfiber with a rubberized stamped logo.

What do people desire? Among other things, expensive looking shit that celebrities use.

How much do they want to pay for it? As little as possible. "B-but they taught me at design school that pricing also has an importance on the perceived quality of the product" That's why you find countless RayBan or Tom Ford sunglasses knockoffs being sold on the internet and on the streets, which also can hurt your brand identity as knockoffs are getting closer and closer to the quality and finishes of the real deal. By offering an affordable brand product with a high-perceived value, you are making people buy the genuine product, even if the production is done in the third world.

The problem here is that you are riding the waves of the trends, and as soon as your product comes, it is substituted by another one. Then again, knowledge in brand management makes possible to minimize this and plan strategically so you don't become one of those products featured in a "You wouldn't believe this was a trend in 2015" 5 years from now.
>>
>>10653330

Also entrepreneurs and pioneers either know how to do stuff by themselves because they learned it at school or by reading a lot of stuff (this is what you are going to do in design school so if you want to ride solo you can find the curriculum of a fashion school (some of them also have a bibliography) and find materials on them. You can even visit their libraries in person and make a list of books that you can buy or steal from the internet.

Do not ever underestimate the power of brand management. In this day and age, the decisions made in branding meetings overpower all the good taste, creativity and technical knowledge that the people in the drawing boards have. And their job is also to make sure that it looks like the other way around.

Do not get discouraged about pursuing the creative side of the trade. The industry still needs people in design, patternmaking, material research etc. But if you want to build custom skateboards and sell them to rich kids, make sure that you know how to sell yourself or at least don't be a cheap-ass and hire a brand management agency.

Even if you do a kickstarter to put your brand out there, all the branding strategy should be done beforehand, because the brand is what will make the campaign succesful, not how good your product is.
>>
>>10651115
>What does it take to become a fashion designer? What kind of schooling and experience is necessary?
If you want to be a professional fashion designer, then it is common to begin by getting a Bachelors degree in fashion design. Not everyone does it this way but studying at university is a reasonably reliable path to take. If you go a good school, then after 3-4 years of very hard work, you will come out with the minimum knowledge, skills, and attitudes required to work in the fashion design profession. But remember, a degree does not guarantee you a job, it merely provides the minimum knowledge, skills, and attitudes to be even considered. Actually getting job will be influenced by many other factors.

There a many amateur fashion designers who take a different path, pick up the skills as they go, and make it as professional designers. There are many successful designers who took this path but it is hard to make any robust comments about the advantages or disadvantages because it is different for each one. Going to university doesn't guarantee you'll make it, but it is probably slightly more reliable than trial and error.

>How would a designer establish their own brand, even as small as a web shop?
There is nothing stopping you drawing a logo in ms paint, slapping it on some clothes, and getting some guy you know to whip up website. The tricky part is coming up with something that people need, and also avoiding all the common mistakes that professional designers learn how to avoid at university.
>>
>>10654653
>>10654614
yeah, i´m studying management right now, finishing in half a year, after that, as i said i´ll get into industrial design

i think that if you have a trademark feature that is hard to copy will keep you afloat but fc you need to imrprove every time you do something new,

wow, real elaborated help on /fa/, you´re ding god´s work son, keep it going
>>
File: PicsArt_1447173018692[1].jpg (372KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_1447173018692[1].jpg
372KB, 2048x1536px
>>10651115
hey heres some input you might find usefull, if you really want to work as a designer your best bet is to simply go to a fashion school, it doesnt matter much wich one, im pretty sure every european country has at least one school that will teach you good design and patternmaking along with all the other skills, try to get as much knowledge as possible from that school and get a degree, even a masters deegre if you can, and after that aply to one of the big name colleges like csm or parsons, they do teach you a lot of usefull skill but they are mostly what i call "launching platforms", going to those schools really helps you reach out to the industry, and with the knowledge you already have it should be easy outpreforming your classmates, another important thing is to have a good portfolio, so start making one right now, document everything you make and store it somewhere, i still have a project from my first year in my portfolio, work really hard on every single project, its not the grade that matters most, focus on making a presentation you can proudly show to anyone interested in working with you. another important thing is to also learn how to do everything yourself, most designers cant cut a pattern to save their lives, if you can you instantlly have an advantage. if you want to make a startup brand you either need influential friends (for example kanye west), ok that was mostly a joke, also with a startup you probablly wont be able to get into actual high fashion because the people who work in fashion will simply not let you, you have to have some form of formal education and experiance to be taken seriously. startups are good for streetwear stuff, but with these sorts of things marketing and brand management come before design. so if you want to make hoodies with graphics and bomber jackets with slightly altered patterns that would be the best way to go.
source: i work in the industr, i hope the pic proves it to some extent
>>
>>10656705
sorry for all the spelling errors, ive had a long day, wich reminds me, if you want to work in fashion, get ready for long hours
>>
>>10656705
noice, what do you do? assuming by the bodice in the background, you do some atelier related stuff
>>
>>10652968
YSL went to esmod?
>>
>>10657270
im in the design team, i also help with patternmaking
>>
>>10656705
Hey man, even though i'm not op I just wanted to say you strongly motivated to help me do better in school. I'm currently in my first year fashion design course and I've been struggling with my pattern making and drafting classes. I'm just floating around 50-60% because my skills have been lacking and jumping right into it was a bit of a huge confusion for me. So far i've done Sleeve, Bodice and currently Collar 1/4'' scales and my marks been improving per sample and working on improving it for future references. But for my pattern making classes i've been struggling super hard. I'm fairly new to sewing and this whole time i've been used to using a domestic machine. But since the start of this class i've been using an industrial (Juki as well!) and it's pretty hard to adjust to.

couple of questions:
1) Any tips on using an industrial machine
2) Do you have any social media? i'd love to follow you

Once again thanks for the motivation, i'll start working hard in class to make samples presentable in the future! :)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.