[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

checkerboards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: tak.jpg (57KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
tak.jpg
57KB, 600x450px
hey /diy/
im interested in making a 5x5 checkerboard out of wood similar to the one in the picture to use to play tak. ive had a look and it seems the preferred method is to get alternating strips and glue them and then cut them and glue in to a square pattern. ive got jack shit tools so that might be beyond me but i was thinking i could carve it in to a block of wood? would that work? how would i stain the squares without it leaking? any advice or thoughts would be appreciated
>>
You could burn the squares.
Or burn the edges and tape off the squares before staining. You'll need that burned Ridge or the stain WILL leak through the grain.
>>
>>994931
What do I use to burn it?
>>
that's the preferred method because it's the easiest and works the best. saws don't cost much
>>
>>994939
How would I get the diamonds with that method? They're needed for the game
>>
File: 1916104_L.jpg (138KB, 660x660px) Image search: [Google]
1916104_L.jpg
138KB, 660x660px
>>994932
This would be the tool you're looking for, i got from walmart for about 12 bucks
>>
>>995149
Is there a way to do it without buying a tool? I'm not sure what else id use it for
>>
>>995256
Fire

A candle and a screw driver
>>
>>994927
so look up chip carving for the lines. basically just a pocket knife. although I'd suggest a utility knife (because of the straight blade to a point) and a straight edge, and just run the blade along the edge at an angle, shift over slightly, and slice the other way to complete the v that you pry out.
for the diamonds, you can stain wood with crisp lines if you score the area (cut an edge into the wood so the stain stops bleeding). you'll pretty much be doing this regardless with the lines if you chip carve. the trick is start in the center and slowly work your way to the edge, giving the stain a few seconds to bleed through the wood, so you don't get too close and have it pool in/cross the chip carved trench.

Alternatively, those squares on your board look painted. so get an artists pencil for the crisp edges and some black paint.
>>
>>994927
Go to your nearest fablab/maker space and get the "diamonds" laser engraved, then use veneer as an inlay.

I am planning on making myself a board like this soon, wanted to use pentagonal pieces with a dodecahedron as a capstone. The pieces i have now work but are just stained poplar.

I suggest you start with the pieces, the pieces can be used without the board, the board is useless without the pieces.
Also you should think about making an 8*8 board on the back side (you can skip the 7*7 board its an inconvenient size)
Playing on an 8*8 board is really fun but gets pretty complex. I played against some chess players and most of them really liked it, some even wanted to know where to buy the game.
>>
File: 05883832.gif (499KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
05883832.gif
499KB, 500x375px
>>995256
You could try this if you really feel like torturing yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRpYx8UTveA

Soldering irons are about $10 though and immensely useful.
>>
>>994927
Do you already have a real paper/cardboard 1:1 test board? This is really important for stuff like this.
With the pattern you can play-test the board to see if it is to narrow or too wide in some places before you spend a lot of time and money on making a wooden one.

A veneer would be the nicest way to make a board all you need is the pattern, a knife, a chisel, sandpaper and wood glue.

You can also try burning the pattern in, I just think that burning the dark square pieces will not look as nice. Staining the dark pieces is also an option but wicking can be a real issue there.

If you have acces to a laser cutter i would suggest you use it, it would make things a lot easier. Use inkscape to draw the pattern you want lasercut. Red is cutting and black is engraving that pretty much all you need to know.
>>
>>998600
>>997467
so i should make a cardboard one and then do any adjustments and laser cut this shit and stick veneers for the dark bits

thanks /diy/
>>
>>999564
NP man, the hardest part will be finding the wood slab to engrave, you can use plywood but that not as awesome. Maybe they have the correct tools in the makerspace/fablab but a 1' wide plainer is not standard equipment there.
While you are there you can use a CNC to make the pieces if you do not have them already.
Just make sure that you go early, fablabs work on a first come first served basis.
>>
>>994927
>ive got jack shit tools
This is when you buy some tools. Every time you do a project, you buy the tools you require and don't have yet. Or you figure out how to improvise them out of junk and the tools you already have.

>any advice or thoughts would be appreciated
Be prepared to fail a few times. Treat your attempts at this project as experiments in crafting, not as product-driven. Owning a nice checkerboard won't make you smarter, understanding how to make things will.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.