[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

high current limitting circuit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

so I have this bank of maxwell super capacitors which make up a 16v pack for my car. only problem is that connecting and disconnecting it is a bitch. anything that requires battery disconnections like opening the fuel system means balancing the pack with the battery again. how can I limit the current to say, 100A for charging and discharging on the pack? not with a breaker or a fuse.
>>
Buncha MOSFETS/IGBTs
+ Smarts
>>
>>988724
I was thinking a self resetting breaker and a 5w 20ohm bypass resistor. then just turn the lights on to discharge the capacitor with the battery disconnected. then it will recharge with the bypass resistor until it can close the breaker.
>>
>>988724
Just wind a 2-3 Ohm resistor from some suitable wire
>>
>>988724
Are you trying to replace your car battery with a capacitor bank?
>>
>>988724
>limiting current
It's like you never took elec. 101.
Fucking hell just get a resistor.
>>
>>988724
Switching regulator, specifically a bi-directional buck converter. Basic topology in pic related.

Although if you want to use an off-the-shelf regulator IC rather than a microcontroller, it would probably be simpler to just have two separate buck converters (one for each direction). You may also need a boost converter to power the current sense amplifier (or you could use a Hall-effect current sensor instead).

For 100A, you'd probably want to replace the diodes with MOSFETs used as synchronous rectifiers (even a Schottky diode will dissipate ~20W at that current).

Needless to say, this will be more complex and (probably) more expensive than a resistor. But at 100A, a resistor is going to dissipate 100W for every volt difference. Charging an empty capacitor at 100A would dissipate 1200W or more, which is a lot of heat to get rid of. Maybe a 12V kettle? Or the DIY version: a length of sufficiently-thick nichrome wire immersed in water.
>>
File: bidi-buck.png (4KB, 685x395px) Image search: [Google]
bidi-buck.png
4KB, 685x395px
>>989571
Forgot pic.
>>
>>988886
I am trying to add a capacitor in parallel with the battery. the 6x380f super capacitors in series power the lights for about 30 seconds. so its kind of impractical to use them only because the car would just discharge overnight or not be able to start if i left the lights on after turning off the car.

the car runs far better and amp doesnt cut out. I think maybe I should just install a 120a astra alternator in my nubira because it comes with a wimpy 80a alternator. and the mounts are kinda weird so they only fit GM c20lex derived engines that fit the opel astra platform. if anyone knows a larger higher capacity one that would fit the stock mounts that would be nice.

>>989571
>>988735
the whole point of the capacitor bank is to provide instant high power to loads. these capacitors have a max instantaneous current of about 1200A so their very low internal resistance overcomes the problems associated with the internal resistance of the battery. ie I can run sick doof doof bass peaks. I also find that the engine runs far more smoothly with it installed even with all the peripherals off.

anyway I probably am due for an alternator replacement.
>>
>>989678

Really think your problems could be (mostly) solved with an alternator upgrade.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.