[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are these metal rectangles called? I want to do a wheel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: WP_20150711_011.jpg (58KB, 607x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150711_011.jpg
58KB, 607x1080px
What are these metal rectangles called? I want to do a wheel stand just like this picture but can't find that kind of metal.
>>
its 80/20 modular extrusion
>>
>>987646
thank you.
>>
>>987648
For anyone else wondering, 80/20 is the brand, and is very expensive. Openbuilds.org sells it for much cheaper, and in my experience is a very good quality. The company I work for buys 80/20, and it looks good too. The major difference is that 80/20 has a smoother, more refined finish.
>>
>>987646
God damn, you ask for the most off-the-wall, randomly specific shit and diy has your back in one reply. Ask how to wire a lamp and the first 80 replies will get you killed. Never change, /diy/
>>
>>987873
you don't need /diy/ to tell you how to wire a lamp
>>
>>987644
I made something like this a while ago using 80/20.

Since you're doing a wheel, torqueing will probably not be a big deal, but consider that someone rolling the wheel real hard might torque your setup enough to experience some bending of the upright pole.

Meaning that while it may very well be extremely rigid, it might not -feel- extremely rigid.
>>
>>987875
I need /diy/ like a pothead is addicted to weed.
>>
File: sipes-related-2.jpg (478KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sipes-related-2.jpg
478KB, 1280x720px
>>987873
ahh you might think that extrusions are odd but they're really common for mockups and DIY

>pic related, nonfunctioning ergonomic mockup
>>
>>987873
80/20 is pretty common anon. it's used all over the place. standard sets of extrusions for heaps of applications. very common for 3d printer builds.

>>987900
/o/ is a close second for when I get b& from here. it's changed. no longer dudes jerking off over car magazines and actually helpful and meaningful discussion now.
>>
Just a note:
I've seen prototyping stuff in an industrial/manufacturing setting that was built from extrusions--and while the beams are pretty strong, the fasteners holding them together tend to come loose over time if they are subjected to heavy flexing.

Some brands sell a heavy-duty type of slot nut that is thicker than normal so you can torque it more (and apply locktite,,,, and pray).
>>
>>987873

Very common in the laboratory. Lots of equipment fabricated using this stuff.
>>
>>988135
It's no different then fastening aluminum together normally. Lock washers are pretty amazing things.
>>
File: item_main_new.jpg (60KB, 890x370px) Image search: [Google]
item_main_new.jpg
60KB, 890x370px
>>987644
If you're interested in different profiles and such, check out Item.
Bosch (Rexroth?) may also have what you are looking for.
>>
>>987788
the v-slot stuff they sell is the 20mm variety, in which case 8020 actually has better deals on that
>>
>>987644
IANAMS (I am not a material scientist), you are better off using softwood dimensional lumber (AKA (also known as) 2x4).

+cheaper
+easier to work with
+far stronger
>>
>>989606
>+easier to work with
Not if you need something that can be assembled out of the extrusions and fasteners. What do you think OP would be doing with it that wood would be easier?

>+far stronger
Not even close with wood of the same size. Do you have no concept of how much stronger structural metals are than wood?

And dimensional stability, water/rot resistance, appearance, etc. There are reasons people are willing to pay a lot more for metal.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.