[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4320x3240px
So I'm contemplating purchasing a small pre built cabin or something similar for full time living.

I'm single at the moment and figured this would be a great way t put away some savings.

I will purchase some land with existing electrical water sewage and place something on there to live in.

Has anyone done something similar on here and if so any ideas or concerns??

Once I can afford it I will Get a bigger metal building for shop while I live in cabin.
>>
Also I am in Texas which gets hot!
Would this holdup to weather with proper insulation?

Also figured once I haves extra cashicould build an addition off these deforming living room office.
>>
Living room off of the side*

I have been doing construction my whole life so I'm not concerned about the rehab.

But I am very curious to hear others' opinions
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>980647
I've been living in pic related for about 6 months now. My dad and I built it from scratch. I love it.
My biggest tip is to insulate the fuck out of it. I also love in Texas and during the summer it never gets above 80 inside despite near 100 outside. The Ac doesn't have to work as hard. In the winter I hear it with a small 1500 watt desk heater. It gets really comfy.

Good luck.
>>
>>980670
That's awesome. Congrats!
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 600x315px
That's awesome. I figure it would be a good way to get on some land quick and just start building.

Op here<

I'm kind of a solitary person so I think I'd be fine just keep adding on.

I'm working full time so I'd saves ton
>>
>>980670
Interior pictures? Looks sweet.
>>
>>980670
Have any pics inside?
Does it have a shower / bathroom?

That would be the most important thing for me and a small kitchen.
>>
>>980647
>I aspire to live in a shed

Whatever floats your boat, buddy
>>
>>981086
<I aspire to make subtle insults at anons online

Whatever floats your boat, buddy
>>
>>981094
>I get remarkably sensitive when people question why i would willingly live in more primitive housing than my great grandparents did
>>
>>981096
Im going to kill myself now..Death by shed jump
>>
File: small shed.jpg (90KB, 788x733px) Image search: [Google]
small shed.jpg
90KB, 788x733px
>>980647
This is my current project.

A lot less cost to rehab unlike your big shed above
>>
File: 59582552[1].jpg (96KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
59582552[1].jpg
96KB, 400x400px
>>980647
>>
>>980647
The Youtube channel " SolarCabin " is up your alley.

http://youtu.be/fJsDOD0dTQI
>>
>>981096
> A 1200 sq ft shit-hole, ghetto house in my city costs 400k+ easy
> Actually thinking people can afford this, let alone want to

How's the mortgage on that exorbitantly expensive shack?
>>
>>981796
Just fuck my shit up.
>>
>>981600
http://youtu.be/yjvT9V2pZE0
>>
Is this a sneaky tiny house thread?
>>
>>981796
Shit you can get one delivered with $300 down 250 a month on yearly payments...

hmmm 400,000>10,000
>>
If you do decide to build one, make the roof a gambrel. Optimize your space
>>
>>981109
Theoretically possible to live in if you don't count a bathroom and don't cook.
Basically you open the door, just a bed, a small light, maybe one outlet, a hole cut in the side for a very small window AC unit so you don't freeze to death, and blankets for when it gets cold, and you're good, a (small) fridge mounted on the side as well, someone should try this schitt!
>>
>>980670
Nice cuck shed. Does your wife's son live with you?
>>
>>982275
Just to be clear I live in the white one with the metal roof.
>>
>>980647
What would be better:

1. To purchase all the required materials and build a small house like the one in OP's post,

or

2. To buy a small house like the one in OP's post.

I only ask because I have decided to buy some land and build my house there. I don't really trust construction companies (they cut corners and sell you low quality materials with a high price tag) so I wouldn't really mind building my future home on my own. This is, however, the ultimate DIY and it would take time. So I am considering building something smaller so i can live there while my bigger house is being build.

Building a smaller house such as the one in OP's pic on my own instead of buying it would also have the advantage of better building materials and in the process, I would learn new skills that I could use when building my bigger house.

What do you guys think?
>>
Hey bro, I'm in a similar boat also in the same state. Someone here said that shipping containers were tax exempt in Texas, if that includes homes built from them I'd be down to build and live in one.
>>
>>980648
Where in Texas, out of curiosity? DFW here.
>>
>>982423
op

Yea i am also considering building from ground up.

Would save alot of money but not alot of time...

Could also make the posts so it is off the ground quite a bit. would make plumbing and electricity a breeze.
>>
>>982423
op
Also if building your own you could add alot of extra space for not alot of extra money.

example- adding a second floor and maye a living room off the side.

With those additions it would be a nice little house.
>>
>>982436
op
I dunno to much about shipping containers but i would imagine they would get extremely hot during our dam summers...
Could always place one or two off of the back of the house to create a shop ect..
>>
If you have someone build a house for you, have have final say in what construction materials are used. No idea what da fuck people are railing on about builders using low quality materials: that shit is up entirely to you and your budget. Especially if you hire a GC. If you hire someone to build a house and stick your head in the sand then you'll get what's coming but if you have a clue and actually communicate you get exactly what you pay for.
>>
>>982441
I am north of Houston about 20 miles

Flooding has been fucken horrible
>>
>>982441
>>982601
Nice, another DFW anon here. Nice to see some Texas peeps on this board.
>>
>>982708
Carrollton here, glad the rain is over.
>>
San Antonio here. Rain hasn't been too bad here, at least not at my house. Work a few miles away got flooded pretty good though.
>>
>>982727
>>982738
Cool cool, I've been at south padre island the last few days. Pretty chill weather
>>
>>982708
weatherford here... far away from the brazos

some downed trees & power lines that's all
>>
>>980647
>>980670
Can I get an estimate on how much a house like this is going to cost?

Build or buy I just wanna know so I can save up for one
>>
File: ISW-1401.jpg (65KB, 961x389px) Image search: [Google]
ISW-1401.jpg
65KB, 961x389px
Just buy a fucking trailer.

99% of you have no idea what you want to do, and uncertain and fail to act.

So you're potentially going to rush into something.

The allure of gettin off dah grid is strong since it seems like a way out of your problems.

But it might not be for you.

By buying a trailer and some land you get to see if it's really for you.

You can sell the trailer easily. And move it if you have to.

A single wide will be fine.
>>
>>982840
>bonus room

Lost my shit. Why not just call it a laundry?
>>
>>982851
Because that ends up being the main entrance for half of all trailers depending on how they set it up on the lot.
>>
>>982866
It's a wet room wit a washing machine in it, it can be the main entrance if you want but it's still a laundry. What exactly makes it a "bonus room"?
>>
>>982823
I have calculated the cost for a 850-900 sq ft house (material wise minus land) is roughly 18-26k. The utilities is what cost, then buying tools if you dont have any.
>>
>>982738
My family used to take bets on the make and model of vehicles on the nightly news that were involved in a low water rescue
>>
File: Screenshot_20160423-111812~2.png (469KB, 1200x1117px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160423-111812~2.png
469KB, 1200x1117px
I started getting interested in this as a long term back pocket plan and came across nomad microhomes which seems to be almost too good to be true. $30k or so per module and seems fairly customizable and will at least give you everything you need besides a washer and dryer. Is this company popular or reputable?
>>
>>983071
I thought that was meant to be a bed in the kitchen/living area at first, that's a really bad colour to choose for that rug and couch.

Why is so much space wasted in the loft space? How are you meant to get into the upstairs bed? Where is the shower?
>>
>>980648
learn to love the heat
open a window on the shady side of house
install a fan that blows air out of the attic on hot side
== cheap air conditioning
>>
>>980670
it'll be your dads new outhouse when you leave
>>
>>980647
I think you might come out ahead financially if you add the water, electrical, and sewage after you buy the property. look into homestead tax credits
>>
>>980670
I plan on doing something simmilar when I eventually inherit my folks house, a small but well tricked out building out back, the home is already paid off but in serious need of repairs so I'm thinking I'll mortgage it, fix it up and turn it into a rental property
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7hgfouuNka0

Tuffshed sells a 2 story option with stairs and everything. I figure it wouldnt be too hard to build a bathroom addition and route plumbing/electrical through it.

I live in arizona, so heat is my main concern. I figure I could insulate the shit out of it and run a swamp cooler through a duct with openings on the first and second story. If I need heat I would just use a little electric heater that i own.

>Run plumbing for kitchen and bathroom through a septic system
>Electrical can be a mix of mainly solar, with propane.

>Bedroom on top floor
>Small livingroom with a tv hooked up to satellite

I bet you could make the "shed" (but really a cabin at this point) look fetch as fuck for under 30 grand total. (Not including land)
>>
Op, check out this site,it has great info and a forum on the subject.

http://www.small-cabin.com/
>>
Going to buy >20 acres of land soon with about 5 acres cleared. The rest is oaks, some fruit trees, and a stream.

I'll have about 10k left after buying the land. I live with my parents right now. What I'm thinking of doing is either buying (financing) a trailer or doing the interesting/fun thing:

Get a loan for >40k, my friend's mom is a banker and I've discussed this with her. Order one of those boilerplate steel buildings that they'll build on-site for you. Request just the building on concrete, no insulation, cutouts for doors and windows. Insulate it myself using that spray-foam stuff. Use steel beams as frames for the inside walls - my friend is a welder - and use stained plywood square panels to make the walls (not sure how securing plywood to metal framework will go). I also have a friend who's an electrician, and I think there will be enough money left over for plumbing, cheap appliances, and IKEA furniture. Oh, and did I mention there's going to be a loft and a whole bunch of wide open space in this steel-building-house? Because fuck yeah, there is.
>>
>>985558
I was thinking about doing this. I'd have the larger version that I could put a second story onto. Id have my bedroom on the second story facing the sun set with huge glass panel windows and my own personal balcony that can fit a small table and a jacuzzi. Get some tiki torches and a big sun visor and make the bitches wet.

I'd ideally want the top story to be at least 40x80. Not sure what that would run me though.
>>
A cheap house doesn't mean cheap living...

Cheap land is usually in the middle of nowhere, so you are going to need a car. And there aren't many jobs in nowhere, so you're going to have to commute. Car and commuting - isn't that expensive? And services like high-speed internet tend to be expensive in rural areas.

Alternatively, you can get an apartment in a city. You can walk, cycle, or take public transit, so no car needed. You are closer to more job opportunities, so no commuting. Your energy costs tend to be lower too, because you have only one exterior wall and you absorb some heat from your neighbors. And you can usually split internet with neighbors or bum free internet off a coffee shop or restaurant.

It seems to me "cheap living", "off-grid houses", and "tiny houses", are really about being a hermit living away from society.
>>
>>986112

Uhh... yeah
>>
>>986112
Yup. That's the draw. The thought of being secluded on my own land makes me hard.

Whatever income I would earn would be through craft sales (welding, leathercraft, carpentry, ect) and whatever other online businesses I could manage. If I needed to put in some part time work somewhere I would. Stock investing is another option adsuming it doesnt crash (lol!)

Solar would take care of most of my energy needs, along with a cell service data plan for internet.
>>
>>986112
Anon,you're not holding a mortgage/ paying rent, just land taxes and other minor expanses. -So it more than balances it out to cheaper.
>>
File: 9210343_orig.jpg (89KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
9210343_orig.jpg
89KB, 600x800px
>>983268
>Where is the shower?

The toilet is the shower
>>
>>986296
How does that sink work? You have to unplug the shower hose every day?
>>
I found a 40×80×16 steel building with slab, doors/windows, and insulation done for 88k.

Problem is it was only on 1/4 acres and the entire fucking thing was covered in rust. The guy must have been using it as storage and completely ignored the need to seal it.

I dont even want to know what it would take to remove all of the rust, let alone if there is any leaks. Id probably have to reskin the entire thing.
>>
File: ScreenHunter_64 Jan. 01 19.09.jpg (274KB, 1362x768px) Image search: [Google]
ScreenHunter_64 Jan. 01 19.09.jpg
274KB, 1362x768px
I am living in a container home, adding on fun stuff. 5 acres of fruit and streams, 14 min from perfect waves. I paid $2 per 10 sq ft of land. property tax is $20 per year. Did I mention I moved to Costa Rica.. Have fun up there suckers:)
>>
>>986296
wait what is this for real?
>>
File: n6nibkFcmz1re0c97o1_500.gif (2MB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
n6nibkFcmz1re0c97o1_500.gif
2MB, 500x350px
>>986584
Man, Toilet showers are magical.
>>
>>986577
Pics?
>>
>>986582
Que Bueno amigo, como es la vida..
>>
>>982840
THIS.

Trailers give you a lot of flexibility. They also require less regulation.
>>
>>986296
>>986584
That's the way they do in Korea.
>>
>>987025
And on any decently-sized boat...
>>
File: 1459810208795.jpg (36KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1459810208795.jpg
36KB, 400x386px
>>982708
THE RAIN HAS BEEN THE FUCKING BEST, DUDE.

DFW REPORTING, THUNDERSTORMS ROCK ME TO SLEEP ALL MONTH BBY.
>>
>>987760
Another one. H-town reporting in . Love this weather.
>>
/r/
>>
>>986582
Noice post more. How 10k saving hold me there?
>>
>>980647
How about a used camper? For $2-5000 you could get a decent used camper that already has heat/ac, kitchen, plumbing etc.. Then when you build a permanant house you can resell it or keep it as a camper or a guest house.
>>
>>986308
looks like it. Seems like just cheapassery, there's plenty of room there for more plumbing
>>
>>980647
i really like these but i don't care much for being stuck in one place all the time
I also noticed that the prices are sometimes insanly for little space (mostly due to peoples customization though)
So i decided to buy an old travel trailer then renovate it to be custom to what I want. Can't decide if i want a more modern used one, air stream, or vintage (usually these are fiber glass for the really cool vintage ones)
Pre-reno I see myself getting into a used early 2000s model for under 10 grand
>>
yo don't fuckin buy pre build man get a chainsaw mill and split the logs yourself shits super easy. I buildt a house last summer, it's a 2 story 12x12 that's just fuckin right with a nice heated out house yo. I live in bum fuck alaska btw
>>
>>983796

Not the OP but you've clearly never been to Texas.
>>
>>986112
>It seems to me "cheap living", "off-grid houses", and "tiny houses", are really about being a hermit living away from society.

Yeah, that's the point.
>>
>>982270

Don´t give the government any ideas.
>>
>>982840

This.

Trailers are the most cost-effective living quarters.

Double wide trailers can be had for 8-15,000 for trailers 5-10 years old. You will have to do more maintenance in the long term, but you'll have an asset that you can sell for more than you paid in 10 years.

My mother owns a few trailer parks and a good friend of mine makes his living flipping trailers. His motto is: "double wide means double my money."
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.