[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Give me a legitimate reason as to why you don't own a Bandsaw.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

File: 501199_xl.jpg (27KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
501199_xl.jpg
27KB, 1000x1000px
Give me a legitimate reason as to why you don't own a Bandsaw. Upright or engineering flat bed.
>>
File: 1369359761327.jpg (25KB, 221x221px) Image search: [Google]
1369359761327.jpg
25KB, 221x221px
big saws scare me
>>
File: 505215_xl.jpg (118KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
505215_xl.jpg
118KB, 1500x1500px
For your reference. Engineering Bandsaw.
>>
>>979522
Bc too poor and when I do get money I buy alcohol to numb my neet pain
>>
>>979522

money
space
I would go for a drill press before a bandsaw
>>
>>979534
Pretty much this
>>
>>979534
Well I own both on limited space and limited money but let me say, get a Bandsaw before a drill press. Honestly. Drill presses are great for accuracy but beyond that a hand drill Is just as good.
>>
>>979534
same here
>>
>>979540
>Drill presses are great for accuracy

don't underestimate the importance of being able to drill a hole at a perfect angle; not to mention using forstner and plug cutting bits in a hand drill is hard to impossible

that usual 3/8 shank limitation can be a pain too
>>
I dont need a band saw
>>
Space, relative lack of use, and access to multiple band saws elsewhere. My welders, mill, lathe, cutter grinder etc are more valuable for what I do.

Much love for my porta-band though!
>>
>>979548
never had a problem using forstner bits in a hand drill. just man up and put those wanking muscles to good use. you've been training your whole life for this moment.
>>
>>979548
I've never felt limited using hand drills with forstner bits in all honesty
>>
>>979522
Apartment fag ;_;. I don't even have power tools
>>
>>979567
>>979570
even with larger ones?
a more powerful drill might help

I had to drill a ridiculous amount of peg holes while making several shelf units and I really wish I had a drill press for that
>>
File: ae235 (1).jpg (35KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
ae235 (1).jpg
35KB, 330x330px
>>979596
I've used 60mm forstner bits in hardwood with no problem using my makita dph481.
>>
>>979522

I bought a cheap Ryobi from home depot and I love it
>>
>>979522
Hoping I'll get my dad's when he downsizes his house. Also I just rent a townhouse for now so that's way too much to try to move
>>
>>979596
I have one of those Giant ancient stainless steel shell craftsman drills pic related not exactly it, but close enough..

craziest thing I used it for was in making a wooden sword replica.. had a very thick hilt (think about 8 inches from bottom to top) and drilled a 2 inch diameter hole about 6 inches into it that I then glued, and bolted the handle to... didn't have any real problems with it binding. make sure you have a good grip.

also sword was a replica buster sword for a friend made out of half inch thick 5 ply oak, and the hilt was made out of 2 2x8 blocks cut to size and screwed to the blade... weaboo as fuck, but fun.. whole thing with the 3 foot handle was about 9 feet long... had to lose the scale for the handle to have enough leverage to lift and swing the blade...(sue me I was fucking 14)
>>
File: shop-half-in-drill[1].jpg (106KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
shop-half-in-drill[1].jpg
106KB, 600x450px
>>979821
aah fuck. pic related
>>
>>979540
>get a Bandsaw before a drill press

I disagree
A drill press is so much more useful for every day things
I use my drill much ten times more than my bandsaw
>>
>>979826

Such as?
>>
>>979534
If you get a cheap drill press make sure the depth gauge isn't plastic. I made a bad purchase, you can drill almost a 1CM deeper than you set it just by putting a little too much pressure on it.
>>
>>979836
Believe it or not, the only time I ever use my bandsaw is to cut metal. I dont do much metalwork at all and tend to just use an angle grinder or a hacksaw.

I guess I made an nice handle for a push stick on it once, but it spent more time on my belt sander than it did on the band saw. It was unnecessary as I could have used a pull saw instead.
It wont even do intricate cuts as well as a scroll saw which you can get for dirt cheap.

And to compare its limited use to a fucking drill press?
The sheer amount of things where punching accurate square holes, with accurate depth control far outweighs anything that I would ever use a bandsaw for.

I would assume most people are in the same boat I am.
>>
File: 20160418_004421.jpg (165KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
20160418_004421.jpg
165KB, 600x800px
>>979522
But I do...a Grizzly G0555P

I plan on getting a metal cutting bandsaw eventually as well.
>>
>>980277
usually the reason a woodworker would use a bandsaw is for cutting rough lumber to size before it goes into the jointer/planer to make it surfaced lumber

or you have access to logs you cut into lumber, though you'd probably want two band saws, one vertical for cutting the lumber down to a rough size and one horizontal for cutting the logs down into blanks to make pieces easier to work with

i'm far too lazy for that, so i'd just buy surfaced lumber from one of my local lumberyards, but they carry all sorts of exotic stuff so it's not fair to say they aren't needed
>>
>>980730
oh and they are great for cutting down stock to make thicker veneers or inlays
>>
>>980732
>>980730
Anyone at that level of woodworking, going to have a pretty nice drill press
>>
>>980734
yea, and now a days probably a 3x router mill

i wasn't even saying to get a drill press before a bandsaw, just pointing out they do have uses that the average hobbyist might not need if they have access to a halfway decent lumberyard
>>
>>980730
I use my Bandsaw for far more than just cutting up rough timber.

Curvatures, lettering, rough shaping, cutting awkward forms.

Most of the rough timber I get I cut on the table saw before I plan for closer accuracy there for less waste when planing.
>>
>>979522
Because a hacksaw is just as versatile, and I don't cut big stuff often enough to justify a bandsaw taking up floorspace in my shop.
>>
>>979522
I live out of a backpack and a duffel bag. If you can fit more than a dremel and soldering iron in there let me know.
>>
>>979540
>>979534
>>979826
>>979548
In my personal experience:
Bench sander > Bandsaw > Drill press in terms of usage.
>>
>>979522
GIRLFRIEND WHINGING
>>
>>980835
Lol. It's really not. If you can't justify it due to inedquate space or requirement, that's your reasoning. Not 'a hack saw is just as versatile', because it's not. Cut capacity alone.

'A screwdriver is just as versatile as an impact wrench'.
>>
File: 1293790715044.jpg (35KB, 540x480px) Image search: [Google]
1293790715044.jpg
35KB, 540x480px
>>979522
>Give me a legitimate reason as to why you don't own a Bandsaw. Upright or engineering flat bed.
pic related: TFW he bought a band saw that only goes one way

I have a metal-cutting saw that is a horizontal/hydraulic feed, but you can flip it vertical and attach a little table to use it manually.
I mostly use it manually, because I mostly cut smaller/thinner metal with it.

The main thing I regret about it is that it uses an odd length of blade (85" IIRC). It is rather small and 115v so it doesn't have a blade welder on it.
There is lots of places that will weld blades to order so getting odd blade lengths made for you isn't a problem--but I never get blades on sale. They only put the pre-welded ones on sale. :|
>>
File: 700356_xl.jpg (128KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
700356_xl.jpg
128KB, 1500x1500px
>>979522
I bought this version last month. I love it.
>>
Other tools, priorities, and general large purchases fall higher on the list. Router, Mig/Tig/Stick welder, gun safe, and a few other short and long term purchases in mind. Have a water heater that needs replaced in the near future and an A/C unit showing its age. Any purchase over $100 is highly scrutinized on whether I really need it before the other items.

Bandsaw is on the mental list just below drill press and table saw.
>>
>>979522
But, I do own a bandsaw. I got it for $20 at a yardsale. I tink it is Black & Decker or something lol

>>979548
>3/8 shank limitation

Change the chuck.
>>
>>979522
I live in a condo
>>
Good memories.

Long ago in HS shop class we had a spot welder bolted onto the side of our giant bandsaw because the blade would break once a day. Wasn't really dangerous, but it scared the shit outta some people.
>>
Comparing the usefulness of a drill press and a bandsaw is silly, since they don't really fill the same purpose.

The real comparison is between a table saw, a miter saw, a skill saw, and a bandsaw. My impression of the pros and cons are:

Table Saw
PROS:
- Versatility: can be used to cut boards, rip, and crosscut (with a sled). It can be used for many types of joinery.
- Precision
- Very Fast
CONS:
- Most dangerous
- Expensive
- Takes up a lot of space
- Loud

Miter Saw
PROS:
- Best at crosscutting
- Fairly Precise
- Very fast
- Relatively Cheap
- Fairly Small
CONS:
- Very limited on the width and depth of pieces
- Not very versatile
- Makes a mess of sawdust
- Loud

Skill Saw
PROS:
- Cheap
- No real limitation on width or length, only depth
- Very small
CONS:
- Lots of measuring and clamping for every cut. So pretty slow
- Not known for precision
- Creates a storm of sawdust
- Loud

Band Saw
PROS:
- Can cut curves
- Can be used for ripping and crosscutting
- Quiet, so quiet you can use it at night without waking up the neighbors
- Less sawdust, and it doesn't get as airborne
CONS:
- Very limited cutting dimensions
- Cutting is slow
>>
>>981206
>The real comparison is between a table saw, a miter saw, a skill saw, and a bandsaw. My impression of the pros and cons are:

They each have their own job. Use the right tool for the right task.

And it's a circular saw, btw.
>>
>>981502
>They each have their own job. Use the right tool for the right task.

While it's great to have the money and space to have every type of saw, their functions do overlap. A skill saw is not the ideal tool for cutting 2x4's, but it can do it.
>>
File: skilsaw.jpg (283KB, 1539x776px) Image search: [Google]
skilsaw.jpg
283KB, 1539x776px
>>981845
> A skill saw is not the ideal tool for cutting 2x4's

Im sure youll find a saw in their lineup that would cut a 2x4
>>
>>979565
/threads
>>
>>981861
There are four circular saws in that picture, but none of them are a skill saw.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.