[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guitar wiring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (416KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
416KB, 1500x1500px
When I first installed this '62 fender AVRI neck pickup in my hss telecaster, the neck and middle were out of phase, so I switched the black and white wires (cloth in photo) and the phase was fine. The problem I have now is that the notch position (neck/mid) isn't noise cancelling like I need it to be. In addition, when I touch the neck pickup, there is a really loud buzz sound. Is this because of how 62 teles were wired/polarity difference? Is there a grounding issue? How can I make it behave like the stock neck pickup?
>>
>>971533

You lost noise canceling because you brought the neck and middle into the same phase.

Noise canceling works by having each pickup, 180 degrees phase shifted from the other. How do you expect to cancel out hum and noise with no phase shift between the pickups?
>>
>>971634
Maybe phase is the wrong term? I mean like a strat's neck and middle pickup having reverse polarity so they cancel each other out removing hum when combined. At first when I combined neck and mid they had a very trebly tiny sound a la peter green's out of phase
>>
>>971652

I'm confused on what you want.

To get noise canceling, the pickups have to be opposite polarity from one another (180 degree phase shift). Configured this way, anything in common will be canceled out, including 60 Hz line frequency buzzing. Overall output is usually lower when you have the pickups wired this way, and the tone is altered.

The only other way to get noise canceling is to use stacked humbuckers (they look like single coils) in place of your single coils, put a big loop pickup in the control cavity to cancel out only 60 Hz noise, or take apart the middle or neck pickup, and flip the magnet over while still keeping them reverse wired.
>>
>>973009
its not "only" wired 180 ouf of phaze, that would cancel out the strings as well.

the magnets need to be revesed on one pickup,
so the pickups don't cancel each other out.
any hum picked up will cancel out because its induced in the coils directly, regardless of magnet orientation.
>>
>>971634
This is right.
>>973034
This is wrong

If you want noise canceling reverse phase if you don't do whatever the fuck you want.

If you don't know these things maybe you should take your guitar to a music store and have them replace your pickups.
>>
File: 1439923180568.gif (3MB, 450x251px) Image search: [Google]
1439923180568.gif
3MB, 450x251px
>>971533
You're overthinking this.
>>
>>973153

Is this guy just retarded or does he do it on purpose?
>>
>>973212
He has a masters in microelectronics and works as a design engineer for a marine equipment company.
>>
>>973056
I'm >>973034, not op.

You are wrong.
reversing the phase without reversing the polarity will make the strings also cancel out.
in practice i assume most pairs of pickups have reversed polarity to eachother so this shouldn't be an issue for OP.

however, dont tell me I'm wrong when its you who has a lackluster understanding of induction.
2 identical coils in anti-parallel will cancer out, that's physics and electronics 101.

By reversing the magnets on one, you again shift the phase 180, but only the current induced by the strings. NOT the EMI.
hence EMI/humm cancels out, and strings dont.
>>
>>973239

Any one can get a degree and have little knowledge of practical uses. I see this shit all the time at the machine shop. Guy wants a shaft, real tight tolerance on a part that does nothing, but loose as hell tolerances on the bearing journals.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.