[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chainmail belt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (579KB, 1500x1412px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
579KB, 1500x1412px
I want to make myself a chainmail belt but I have a few questions.
What kind of chain should I use so that they are strong enough to hold up to regular use but also rust resistant enough to not make a mess

How do I close the chain links so there's nothing that will snag on or scratch clothes or skin

What chain pattern should I use

Where's a good place to get chain?

Also general chainmail discussion thread
>>
File: FA5QHH5HJKC2HV2.LARGE.jpg (83KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
FA5QHH5HJKC2HV2.LARGE.jpg
83KB, 768x1024px
Hey there a lot of videos on on different weaves that you can use for your application. Since this belt will stretch a bit as you move, you don't want the links popping open so you would have to solder closed each and every link. A work around for that would be to add in a few rows of rubber o- rings instead of metal jump rings. Also its really easy to make jump rings so I would make them myself.
>>
>>970531
To be honest I'm really new at making chainmail so I don't know what jump rings are and I don't have the tools to solder the rings.

Know any possible work arounds or is the solder tool a must?
>>
>>970529
But why?
>>
>>970531
Also I want the chains to look uniform in size and shape, and I don't think I can make them that well on my own.

Any idea of what kind of metal or coating I should get so they don't rust?
>>
>>970583
It looks cool and if beaded I could beat the living hell out of someone with it
>>
>>970585
You wont be able to unhook and use a belt as a weapon.

>Man approaches anon in alley, armed with a gun of light size
>Anon sees this threat and begins to unbuckle his belt.
>Anon is shot for not complying.

Come on man, really
>>
>>970586
>implying I plan on using it for that purpose

No the only times I use a belt to beat someone is when I use the soft side of an old leather belt to beat my kids

I want a chain belt because it would look cool
>>
>>970529
belts are for keeping your pants up anon, not puling them down.
>>
>>970610
It'll match your hot topic chain wallet really well, and your arm-sleeve tattoos!
>>
File: Grandpa.gif (222KB, 220x176px) Image search: [Google]
Grandpa.gif
222KB, 220x176px
>>970586
>>
>>970529
There was a chainmail contest a few years back on Maille Artisans website you'd be interested in. The contest was for a chainmail belt.

The winner used stainless steel in a modifies elfweave pattern. In elfweave the rings that connect between the 1in1 chains are going through just the 1in1 chains. The winner had the connector rings also going through each other. This resulted in them raised slighlty. They had a strap of half persian that the belt tail went through and held it tight against the rest of the belt. This made the raised rings lock together locking the belt
>>
>>970582
Jumps rings are the metal rings that you use to make chain maille, making jump rings is easy you just coil wire around a rod and cut through the rings, all the rings come out uniform and the same size. You wont find ready made chain maille since its made by hand, if you do find it. it will be like some outrageous price like 12$ a square inch
>>
>>970584

I would use aluminum since it will be light weight and wont rust, you could also use galvanized wire and copper, as well as stainless steel
>>
File: 538-belt-august272010-4-1.jpg (75KB, 800x257px) Image search: [Google]
538-belt-august272010-4-1.jpg
75KB, 800x257px
You will probably want to use stainless steel because it is the cleanest metal you're going to get without breaking the bank. If you have a huge budget and want the piece to be about 1/2 the weight you can go with titanium instead. Aluminum will work if you need something really cheap but it will start to rub off grey powder after a few weeks.

Most sheet or band weaves will work fine, but for a first project I would recommend one of the European weaves. You pic uses Euro 6-1 which is the same weave I used for my first belt. I used the opposite grain though because the rings catch less on your belt loops that way.

The best way to prevent seam snags is to practice your closures and to make sure the rings you use have clean cuts. If you order rings premade they should be fine, and if you end up using stainless or titanium you definitely want to order them premade. Aluminum is easy to coil and cut yourself but that would require making a jig to crank the wire and learning proper cutting technique. Whatever metal you use, the standard source for most chain mail projects is theringlord.com.

>>970531
Unless you make an extremely thin weave with extremely thin wire you're not going to bend the rings too badly through normal use. A few rows of E6-1 in 14 gauge, 7/16" could probably support the average person's bodyweight. There's no need for rubber rings on a piece with an adjustable buckle.

>>970582
Jump rings are just rings, basically. It implies that they can open too, as opposed to a solid rubber ring or something,

>>970584
Galvanization is an anti-rust coating but it will rub off during use of the belt and the steel beneath will rust.

>>970925
Elfweave is probably beyond a first-timer. ALso instead of trying to descibe all that just post the pic. Also you might have the wrong site because the winners of that MA contest used dragonscale and J4-1 respectively.

>>970929
theringlord.com sells wire, premade coils, premade rings, and premade mail sheets.
>>
>>970925
PIc,?
>>
File: 538-j8_2_cube_belt_by_brassanvi.jpg (99KB, 520x585px) Image search: [Google]
538-j8_2_cube_belt_by_brassanvi.jpg
99KB, 520x585px
>>970931
>Also you might have the wrong site because the winners of that MA contest used dragonscale and J4-1 respectively.
the other winner
>>
File: a (1).png (101KB, 1585x1527px) Image search: [Google]
a (1).png
101KB, 1585x1527px
>>970931

I wasnt worried about them bending as much about stretching open the rings on the last row, which is why o-rings are used in such aplications, maille belts have them , and maile shirts have some along the ribs. Of course you can get everything pre- made, but isnt this a diy forum you buy fag
>>
File: Mobius Flail.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Mobius Flail.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>970935
I have never seen a maille belt with rubber rings. It'd be utterly pointless. I have made several maille belts and none of the rings have ever opened even slightly-- not even the aluminum ones.

And maille fabric isn't the final product nor is it useful for this particular project. I was just mentioning it because that one anon suggested that it was ridiculously expensive which it is not.

Trust me, I know a great deal about this medium.
>>
File: Moorish Rose.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Moorish Rose.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
Here are the weaves I'd recommend starting with. They're not the most exciting but they're easy to learn and make.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=7

http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=9

http://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=1154

Pic unrelated, it's an exciting weave that is difficult to learn.
>>
>>970529
if you're in the US or Canada, consider ordering from the ring lord. It's cheaper and quality.
theringlord.com
>>
>>970610
>I want a chain belt because it would look cool
No matter how you make it, it's going to look like a women's belt.
>>
File: secret code.png (4KB, 610x107px) Image search: [Google]
secret code.png
4KB, 610x107px
>>971645
>implying these look like women's belts
>>970931
>>970933
>>
>>971645

...where the fuck do you live that women regularly dress like this?

I like to know places I should avoid.
>>
File: E4-1 Unbalanced.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
E4-1 Unbalanced.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
OP died
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.