[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Woodworking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

What should i use for legs on a wood table? I have made a couple of table tops before, but i never had to worry about having to make legs.

the legs dont have to be made of wood, i was thinking about using some small metal pipe to give the tables a modern rustic look

meanwhile can we get some cool woodworking ideas going? i need some ideas for a auction i am in.
>>
>>968493
what is the point of this thread?
>>
>>968494
woodworking?
>>
>>969289
that is the point of this thread?
>>
>>969295
yes.
>>
>>968493
wood
>>
>>968493

So what constitutes making a table top that you cannot use a drop of your intelligence to make some legs?

That is the funny thing about America. You guys get jobs that are so specifically specialized that when you get out in a field that is practically the same but with minor difference you fuckers shut down.

>omg I have to use 1 1/2 inch screws instead of 2 inch how could I ever do this without instruction, legal counsel and retraining.
>>
>>969309
>legal counsel and retraining.
good thing our insurance will cover that, hehe america 1 britbongs 0
>>
File: 20151118_184718.jpg (2MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20151118_184718.jpg
2MB, 2988x5312px
Been drinkin and thinkin and just loosened enough to divulge this million dollar plan I've been chewing on for a bit.

Its pretty damn simple and I cut the pieces all by me eyeball.
>>
>>969342
i'm not sure i get it. it's a clauk made out of wedge-shaped pieces of wood? tell me more.
>>
>>969310

You are just as bad as the britbongs.

America 0
Britbongs 0

Kek, jokes on you faggot.
>>
>>969342
So whats the million dollar plan?
>>
File: clock_beauty2.jpg (32KB, 475x498px) Image search: [Google]
clock_beauty2.jpg
32KB, 475x498px
>>969342
Thats cool bro, i have this million dollar idea also!!!

HUURRRRRRRRRRR
>>
File: clocksworth.jpg (45KB, 379x433px) Image search: [Google]
clocksworth.jpg
45KB, 379x433px
>>969365
no need to be mean to anon
>>
>>969347
>You are just as bad as the britbongs.
how so?
>>
>>969346
yes yes.

and those wedges are representative of of time by way of the angle and distance of each piece.

The distance of a single piece of wood is measured as one hour or 5 minutes or five seconds depending on which hand is doing the measurin.

If you had this in your hands to play with for a bit, you wood discover many more idiosyncrasies and nuances.
>>
>>969362
>>969362
if we can get all these earthfags off the linear numeric system of measurin time, and hook em on spacial recognition, then perhaps the process of thinking fer yerself will catch on in a meaningful way and world peace may ensue.
>>
>>969342
YOU HAVE LASER EYEBALLS?
>>
File: hi_five.png (3KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five.png
3KB, 493x402px
>>969409
>wood discover
noice

and I see. that's pretty cool! you shoulda posted a better pic, wasn't very flattering
>>
>>968493
>What should i use for legs on a wood table?
hang the table from the ceiling with chains
>>
>>969425
that this is fucking ugly.
also fuck eating dinner on a swing set. that's not classy. that's pure chav.
>>
>>969425
That is trendy bullshit. You know what's stood the test of time? Fucking legs. Every generation comes up with this bullshit "new" ideas. They're not new. They're new to you because you haven't seen them before. You haven't seen them before because they're impractical and have been abandoned. Wash, rinse repeat for millenia.
>>
>>969425
>asshole grabs the back of your chair and pulls it really far back and lets go
>>
Got a retarded question.
Is edge grain more dense or resistance to wear, dings, chips, etc compared to face grain?
I want to make a table top and I have 5 pine boards.. should i cut them into 1.5" strips and laminate them together edge grain up? Or just have them face grain side up?
The boards are all without knots and have pretty straight grain.
>>
>>969631
dont be too hard. that design is shit. but this has stood the test of time. every so often someone does come up with something new that works. the last big innovation i furniture design was Bauhaus.
>>
>>969944
Face grain is easier to work with (sanding, etc)
Edge grain is used for bread boards.

Edge grain can be very pretty but doing a table with it is just a hell of a lot more work. If your grain is really straight and pretty, then why not highlight that?

One thing to think of is that your table-top is going to expand/shrink in 2 directions on the horizontal plane. So you're going to have to allow for that when you fasten to the base. A normal table will expand/shrink upwards and one direction in the horizontal plane.
>>
>>969991
>>969944
face grain, edge grain, end grain. get your terms right.
End grain is used for heavy wear applications, like flooring tiles or buttcher blocks, but you can't get a smooth finish from it. scratches tend to go between the wood fibers, which often "heal" back together. It's also not as strong, so needs to be much thicker than a flat board for the same ability to not crack in half.
edge grain, the side of the board, is more dimensionally stable because it is is in the same direction as the grain, and tends to be boring because there is not grain on it. it is slightly easier to carve etc. because there is usually not a grain pattern to chip out. not really tougher.

Face grain has the attractive patterns etc. Is it a plain sawn board or quarter sawn?

Ideally, for the least amount of warping chance, the glue up should be all riftsawn or quarter sawn grain, with the grain pattern looking like stripes. flat sawn tends to look like ovals on the face, which can be more attractive, but that means that the end grain on the board will be smiley face and not stripes, meaning it will tend to cup. you can minimize this some by glueing boards facing opposite ways, so the cupping of one tends to cancel the cupping of the other. Generally boards cup by the 'smile' flattening out.
Many places suggest getting much wider boards than you need and using just the edges for glue ups. eg a 12" wide board you get a 4" wide from each edge and a ~3" wide piece of scrap (because 12" boards are less than 12", and saw kerfs)

>>969991
This is the failure point for most diy tables. wood can expand something like 20% of volume across the panel. growth in the direction of the grain is almost nonexistent, and growth across the edge grain (usually the thickness of the board) generally is much more modest, more like 5% change.
so don't just screw the table onto the frame, you need to cut slots to let the screws move, or drill a much bigger hole and use a screw with a washer etc.
>>
I am interested in woodworking but I don't need any tables or chair or anything. I'd like to make either an electric guitar or an all-wood crossbow. Which of these is easier and would either of them be reasonable first projects?
>>
>>969428
>>969631
>>969719

You all need to calm down and take it for what it's worth. Getting your jimmies rustled over a fucking swing table set isn't something I would consider to be worth it. Learn to imagination and don't project your own expectations like that.

Swing Table Set would be fun as hell with the right group of people at the right occasion. Don't believe me, ask a kid; they'd have a fucking blast you can be sure of it.
>>
>>970340
no
>>
>>968493
Legs.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.