[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who has the best outlets?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 62

File: electrical outlets.jpg (101KB, 571x636px) Image search: [Google]
electrical outlets.jpg
101KB, 571x636px
>>
US or Straya

Flat metal prongs are supererior from a manufacturing and implementation point of view, plus the ubiquitous ground prong is very important, plus devices that are phase-sensitive need to have the hot and cold prongs matched correctly.

All this other shit is just an identity crisis of countries who got electricity later and wanted to be unique.
>>
I agree.
The NA or cunts take it.

>The top right smiley one makes me happy though.
What yuropoor country is that? Sweden?
>>
>>966646
>red flag
>sweden

its Switzerland.

I'd say from the picture, the Italian one is the simplest and looks the cleanest.

Japan looks fucking retarded like they've got zero electric codes at all. and all the EU ones make me angry. the china/aussie ones look fucking stupid.
>>
>>966650
100% retarded: the post

that is some heroic trollery goodfriend
>>
I've lived in two regions, Asia and Australia and used several American plugs, and I just from a user standpoint (I don't know much about electronics so I can't share my preference on grounding techniques and all that) that Australian is superior for having the plug hold solidly into the power point, even when there are just two prongs and the larger bottom one is missing, they hold in to power points securly and takes a real tug to get them free. Where as every american plug I've used just falls the fuck out all the time (though they have only been the slim two pronged kind) and the Asian plugs (which in this case are like the Japanese ones on the picture) have done the same. Not to mention the plugs themselves are much thinner metal and bend way too easily where as it would take a real hit to bend an Australian plug
>>
>>966646
Denmark
>>
>>966651
I laughed so hard, I farted.
>>
Why are the American plugs upside-down?
>>
I'm a serious believer of the any way is the right way of connecting my device to the wall philosophy and as such from all I've seen/used/worked on I choose the EU outlet, and >>966671
Try to get a hold of a a EU outlet, you'll be amazed how fuck hard it is to unplug does fuckers sometimes (depends of the quality of said outlet, EU made with solid brass or Chinese knockoff made of some stamped bullshit that tries to look like brass)
>>
>>966690
Yeah the recessed ones look pretty solid.
>>
>>966650
that's denmark you fucking idiot, switzerland is in the bottom right with brazil.
>>
File: G_plug.png (68KB, 550x281px) Image search: [Google]
G_plug.png
68KB, 550x281px
I've used British, Australian and American ones before and from what I've used I'd say British > Australian > American
I've only used the ungrounded US ones so I don't know if it makes a difference, but they seem extremely flimsy and come out too easily like >>966671 said. The Aus ones are better in that regard, although my favourite is the UK one as it's sturdier than the Aus plug, and the cable lies flat against the wall which seems better if you have to put furniture in front of a socket. If you push the furniture against it it won't do any damage to the cable.

As well as that there are a few safety features on the UK plug which don't seem to be on the other two. For example, the holes for the live and neutral are covered by shutters which are actuated by the longer ground pin to prevent kids sticking things into them. As well as that the live and neutral pins are jacketed so if you only push the plug in just enough to make a connection, there's no exposed metal on those pins. Google images shows that some Aus plugs have that, but it doesn't look like any of the US plugs do.
There's probably more to plug design than that, but I'm not an electrician so I'm only going by what I've seen from looking at the plugs.
>>
>>966671
That happens with worn out sockets. I've lived in a lot of rentals that have cheap sockets that have seen a lot of use and that happens. A new outlet holds the plugs very well. A good quality outlet will hold well for decades with regular use. I've seen shitty $.89 outlets from Home Depot start dropping plugs in only a few years.
>>
>>966697
3-pin grounded US plugs could survive an ice age.
>>
>>966697
UK is God tier. The only one I would say is better is from one of the Scandihoovian countries which allowed for 3 phase connection as well as single phase.

I was UK, now I'm Aus and the sockets over here are only marginally better than the US crap. They even have 2 different ones for 10A and 15A!
>>
>>966697
Ausfag here again, yeah the cord sticking straight out is a pain, there are some plugs that have the cable parallel to the outlet (So it can be done) but they are in the vast minority and the standard is perpendicular which sucks for as you said, putting furniture against the wall. I submit to our UK owners.
>>
>>966697
>cable lies flat against the wall
This can be done with nearly any style of plug, I have some US ones like that
>>
>>966725
It can be done but isn't because in a lot of cases companies just use whatever the standard is to save on having to design their own plug.
>>
>>966639
I really like the idea of recessed sockets. Easy to plug in without looking, less chance of exposed metal, harder for the plug to fall out, plug doesnt stick out as far from the wall. They dont look as neat as flat sockets though. The ideal socket would also have a switch, have earth on top and flat prongs.

I would pick France's recess, UK's pattern nd Australias switch
>>
Australia makes the most sense and they are like rock hard.. Cannot reverse the polarity too
>>
>>The Great British plug has a fuse in it.

An *unnecessary* fuse. 220v works just fine in the rest of the world without it. What's up with you, britfag?
>>
>>966755
In principal you are really stupid, the fuse allows a thinner wire to be used in low power appliances.

I guess you americans wouldn't know what a thin cable looks like because of your measly 120v
>>
It's quite clearly the UK plug. Clear polarity by design and live terminal protection by a longer earth pin that releases an internal guard.

The others are crap.

>>966755
>unnecessary

An extra fail safe in an electrical circuit is never unnecessary.
>>
File: pleb68148.jpg (26KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
pleb68148.jpg
26KB, 400x462px
>>966755
> Disconnect all cables and pull the gear in question out of wherever its mounted.
> Fossick around for it's fusehole.
> Possibly need to pull lids to find the fucker.
> Not just unplugging the thing and changing the fuse on the spot.
> Shit ensures system is disconnected from AC before works commence.

Why do you want to die Yan-kun?
>>
>>966760

Or you could just flick the breaker on the power bar or breaker panel... Chances are if the device blows it's internal fuse it's probably fucked and is going to need repair anyways.
>>
File: plugs.jpg (203KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
plugs.jpg
203KB, 1920x1080px
Swiss master race.380v 3 phase in every house, standard plugs fit 3 phase socket to get 240v, plugs are strong and recessed sockets avoid getting shocked like with crap U.S. blades.
>>
>>966671
>>966697
>Australian is superior for having the plug hold solidly into the power point
>The Aus ones are better in that regard
I believe this is why a flat blade was used. You can get more surface area onto a flat surface than you can rounded pin. I have some euroshit hardware that has the rounded pin AC plugs that feel more flimsy than bladed pins, but the domestically installed round pin sockets might be sturdier.

My only beef with ausfag sockets is that they are cunts to get in if you cannot directly see the socket. It's a bitch to blindly orient the plug because the pins are angled; You kind of need to use your fingers to line up in the holes and I have, just once, been bitten when the active pin connected while my finger was on it. I find it easiest to try and line up the earth pin first (and I have seen sockets with a concave dimple around the earth, maybe for this reason) but two pin plugs are still a bitch because angled blades. I would call Japanese and two pin North American as the most superior because the pins are parallel, and bladed. Shit will hold firm and is easy as fuck to insert under most circumstances.

Meanwhile, why the fuck is pic related not a thing? Superior blade strength with an earth pin, symmetrical, therefore reversible, shit would be cash as fuck.

>>966761
In my experience (light/sound/staging) fuse blows mainly happen because a transient occurs on the system that temporarily overloads the fuse. Slo-blows are used to counter this but I have seen plenty of gear where fast blows have been used instead of slow. Considering most desk rigs have a central point where everything plugs in (generally close to the operator) it would be trivial to replace a socket fuse as opposed to getting in behind the kit and digging for its fuse socket.

Broadly, mains fuse in plug = +1 safety modifier as mentioned. Every homebrew AC project that uses a salvaged cord is now fused for starters.
>>
File: dowant.jpg (28KB, 546x828px) Image search: [Google]
dowant.jpg
28KB, 546x828px
>>966765
> forgetting pic related
>>
So just dropping by this thread and made me wondering...

Are the soldiers getting deployed to different countries (e.g. killing cockroaches in syria) aware of those variety of holes?
Were they briefed? Or was it like "holy shit my charger/cigarette lighter/phone/gps" wont plugin!

just wonderin
>>
why care?
>>
I'm British, so I'm naturally going to say BS1363 sockets are the best.

I'm okay with Shuko as well, but for the love of God France needs to stop with it's fucking retarded external earth pin. I've had to literally push plugs & adaptors into the French style sockets with the force of one thousand suns when I've stayed in hotels in France & Belgium.
>>
>>966639
Denmark looks happy just to be recognized.
>>
As someone who has travelled around the world:

>spanish plugs are a complete waste of materials
>british outlets are the best in overall quality and have individual fuses (plugs are as retarded waste as spanish ones tho)
>AU plugs lock in place
>IT plugs are simple yet good
>BR/CH plugs are the best in terms of safety and resource efficiency
>>
>>966770
If their stupid enough to not know that different countries have different plugs/sockets then I don't think I'd trust them with a gun.
>>
>>966796
>if their

fuck, if they're*
>>
>>966765
>symmetrical, therefore reversible, shit would be cash as fuck.
>reversible
Anon, AC isn't reversible, which is why all these sockets go to such effort to stop you reversing them.

One pin swings from +220v to -220v*; the other stays near zero the whole time. You don't want to be swapping that, especially on devices that have bare metal stucking out, such as chargers, stereos, and similar.

*inb4 "the peak voltage is 311v": I know the peak voltage is 311v.
>>
>>966639
Why would a country created in the middle of the twentieth century make its own unique plug?
>>
>>966801
The power network started in the 1920s.
>>
>>966802
For some reason I forgot that zionism was a thing pre holocaust.
>>
>>966755
>An *unnecessary* fuse

I'm sorry you're too stupid to understand the safety features of BS1363. I'll try to help:

1. The fuse/breaker in the consumer unit protects the circuit. It is fused to the maximum current for the entire circuit, which in a standard UK mains ring is about 32A.
2. Each BS1363 plug is capabable of delivering a maximum of 13A. At 230V that's around 3kW. The fuse in the plug therefore protects the flexible power cord that is plugged into the socket. The fuse is sized appropriately for the size of the wires within the cable.
3. If the device has a fuse, the fuse in the device is there to protect the device. It is sized appropriately to protect the device.

So at each step you down-fuse to only the appropriate rating. This means that if you plug in say, a 100W laptop power supply:

1. The circuit is fused to 32A
2. The cable between the socket (13A) & the device (0.5A) is fused to 3A
3. The device is fused to 0.5A

If you didn't have the fuse at the plug you'd either need all cables capable of carrying 13A max. (which would mean everything had big bulky cables) or you run the risk of the cable catching fire.

See? It's all very sensible.
>>
The UK plug is by far the most solidly built.

Although that's not entirely a good thing if you don't wear shoes indoors. Stepping on lego is nothing compared to those fuckers.
>>
UK has been proven several times to be the best, if it won't kill you first being left upside down.
>>
>>966639
Allegedly british ones are the safest but the difference is minimal anyway.
>>
File: american_plug.jpg (77KB, 499x548px) Image search: [Google]
american_plug.jpg
77KB, 499x548px
>>
I use primarily type G English and since we get lots of American electronics a lot of type B.

If the item is dual voltage I always cut off the type B and throw on a type G plug.

The only thing type B has over type G is that it is smaller type G is better at everything else.

>le leggo meme

After 28 years of using type G I have rarely stepped on them and when I do it really doesn't hurt all that much because my feet aren't made of rose petals
>>
>>966840
75% of those on disability allowance in the UK suffer from foot injures caused by upside plugs.

The only know cure is a £150 a week, gallons hot cups of tea and plenty of day time TV. If it wasn't for the Polish we'd all be speaking German.
>>
>>966929
I don't get it.
>I even looked at mine, they are fine.
>>
>>966958
>I don't get it.

Because people just yank them out of the wall all the time by the cord. Often at angles.

> mfw every single vacuum I've owned looked like that

Except the shop vac. I don't move very often.
>>
>>966929
Most new vacuums are 3-pronged here unless you buy a really cheap one.
>>
File: 22933_1_9a7946[1].jpg (19KB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
22933_1_9a7946[1].jpg
19KB, 400x299px
>>966966
Burgerland is 2 prong. My Craftsman wet/dry detachable motor to use a leaf blower one is only two prongs. I would have thought 3 for sure being wet/dry.
>>
>>966966
>Most new vacuums are 3-pronged here unless you buy a really cheap one.

Burgerland Dyson is also 2 prong.
>>
File: schuko4.jpg (40KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
schuko4.jpg
40KB, 800x596px
>>
>>966811
>If you didn't have the fuse at the plug you'd either need all cables capable of carrying 13A max. (which would mean everything had big bulky cables) or you run the risk of the cable catching fire.

Is that why no other country in the world have fused plugs, and cables no thicker than UK cables? Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
Italy.
It is a bit of a pain in the ass if the plugged stuff is heavy (old phones chargers, like 3310's), but otherwise it is pretty much perfect.
>>
Is the US really the only country using GFCI's by building code?

I saw Australian and British plugs i think on GIS.

Its pretty cool that you can fit 4 US plugs, 4 USB chargers, with GFCI protection, and ambient light illumination near the plug in a space smaller than 5 inches squared.
>>
>>967000
And I forgot the pic.
>>
>>966982
That's why other countries have more electrical fires.
>>
File: DanishOutlet.jpg (43KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
DanishOutlet.jpg
43KB, 300x300px
>>966639
Danish outlet is happy outlet
>>
>>966811
>See? It's all very sensible.

For fuse manufacturers.

Actually, it's not a bad system. I'd eliminate the device fuse and rely on the plug fuse as long as the cord is fixed to the device. For removable cords, I'd put a non replaceable fuse link in the plug (separate device fuse) and in the event of a cord fault, just throw the cord away and get a new one. Don't want frayed cords nigger-rigged.
>>
File: 20131213165940.jpg (94KB, 1200x987px) Image search: [Google]
20131213165940.jpg
94KB, 1200x987px
>>966639
Most of them got some fatal flaws.
The best in that picture are british and EU (with ground pin not schuko one), however brits are a bit crazy with switches on every outlet.

The best plug/socket combos are IEC 60320 .
They all have small, nice form factor, they plug securily and don't fall out esily.
Picture relevant.
>>
File: plug.jpg (2KB, 111x98px) Image search: [Google]
plug.jpg
2KB, 111x98px
>>967005
>>
File: AusOutlet.png (21KB, 587x587px) Image search: [Google]
AusOutlet.png
21KB, 587x587px
>>967025 (This thread)
>>
>>966642
Nah that's fucking retarded having the 2 non earth prongs at the top. You drop a penny and it lands between those prongs and that's a good reason why its bad.

UK plugs solve this problem and have the same benefits.
>>
>>967012

>switches on every outlet.

I myself prefer it. You can leave things plugged in and then not have to pull out the plug and drop it on the floor because the object is stationary.

The cost of a type G plug and outlet is almost nothing
>>
>>966958
I'm guessing its because it was kicked sideways while in the socket?
>>
File: grrrr.jpg (9KB, 228x228px) Image search: [Google]
grrrr.jpg
9KB, 228x228px
>>967005

Is something funny son? Angry receptacles ftw.
>>
>>966929
Oh I get it, the beaner maids can't figure out electricity.
>>
>>966982
>and cables no thicker than UK cables
try again
>>
>>967050
they look like thinking chinamen to me
>>
>>967001
>protection device per socket
normal people have current imbalance detectors at the consumer unit either covering multiple circuits or on a per circuit basis.
I can't imagine having a breaker on every single socket.
>>
File: receptacles-duplex-120-volt2.jpg (19KB, 257x360px) Image search: [Google]
receptacles-duplex-120-volt2.jpg
19KB, 257x360px
>>967050
>>
File: usb-receptacle.jpg (77KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
usb-receptacle.jpg
77KB, 1000x1000px
>>
>>967062

They complain about a simple switch on every socket yet they have breakers on each socket,
>>
>>966979
This and you know it.
>>
>>967046
Vacuum cleaner reaches end of cord and unplugs itself.
>>
>>967042
>You drop a penny
literally impossible for a uk plug to be loose enough to fit a penny down there because the sockets hold the plugs so well.
if you pull it out a little it will fall out pretty quick
>>
Brazilian industries never made some sort of "gentlemen' agreement or any formal thing to make standard plugs, the thing is I lived for my whole life with 5000000000 bagazilions of adapters in my home. Now people had the briliant idea to take a swiss plug that doesn't fit any of the previous plugs. Thanks obama.
>>
>>967085
Ah, by the way. The swiss and brazilian are not the same. We down here use the IEC 60906-1 and the swiss use SEV 1011.
>>
>>966639
I like the Brazilian/ Swiss one just by looking at it. It looks stout and unlikely to pull out of socket but IRL Brazil has a wide array of plugs, voltages, ect. They probably have the most dangerous wiring in the world.

India/ Paki makes me feel unsafe just looking at it.

Eurostuk/ Russian is crappy but every euro appliance I've ever used had the most sturdy prongs I'd ever tried to bend. Holy shit.

Italy is pretty shit, but I never even handled anything that was supposed to plug into one.

I'm an electrician for the US Navy, btw.
>>
Ausfag here.

Do other countries really not have a switch on their sockets?

Do you unplug everything when not in use or just turn it off at the device?
>>
>>967104

In north america we turn off the device or unplug it if it's something like a iron or vacuum. Most devices stay plugged in 24/7 and have a on/off switch. Moving parts in a receptacle doesn't make much sense to me, high currents and worn out switch contacts are a bad combination.
>>
File: image_20822.jpg (69KB, 1200x899px) Image search: [Google]
image_20822.jpg
69KB, 1200x899px
>>967104
burgerlandfag here. il lived in aus for about 5 years. not all aus sockets have a switch famalam, but yes a lot/most of them do. back here in burgerlünd our sockets generally do not have switches. we either unplug or just shut off the device... or we just use a power strip which has a switch i guess
>>
>>967104
Half the ones in my house have a circuit breaker that's only good as a switch. All the times I short circuit something with my multi-meter the mains breaker trips anyways.

Oh some have a USB port I don't trust on it too, idk.
>>
File: P8XdaFZ.jpg (549KB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
P8XdaFZ.jpg
549KB, 4160x2340px
>>967084
I think a UK plug could be loose enough, but the fact that the earth pin is on top of the UK pin, it would deflect any pennies. not so for US and AUS, the penny would just sit and burn out
>>
>>967111
Yeah the only one in my house without a switch is for the fridge

>>967112
A USB port in the wall outlet or on a powerboard? I've only ever seen them on power boards and don't particularly trust them either.

>>967110
I've never had a problem with worn out switches and always turn it off at the wall. That's just because my dad was a terrible stinge and didn't want to pay for 'vampire draw'
>>
File: power2u_outlet_gfci.jpg (15KB, 400x251px) Image search: [Google]
power2u_outlet_gfci.jpg
15KB, 400x251px
>>967116
Yeah two USB ports on the regular two-socket grounded wall outlet like in the pic but it has two buttons for the breaker and comes with a LED light to let you know it's circuit breaker is closed.

Probably cost the landlord $60.
>>
>>967114
Good thing too, since I regularly press pennies to the wall and let them drop.
>>
File: 54647456.jpg (4KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
54647456.jpg
4KB, 480x640px
>>967114

Some North American receptacles are mounted ground pin up to prevent this.
>>
>>967128
You arent alone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresting/comments/2ydtey/a_dime_fell_off_of_my_dresser_and_landed_directly/

:^)
>>
File: supra_lorad_uk_plug_new_1_.jpg (34KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
supra_lorad_uk_plug_new_1_.jpg
34KB, 700x700px
>>967132
That's good, they should all be like that. The UK sockets also have a "sock" on the live/neutral pins so even if you were enable anti-gravity and poke a penny upwards it still wouldn't short.

I wonder what they use in space now that I mention it.
>>
>>967132
This.
When people first see it, the dumbass nignog janitors always say fuck man you mounted it upside down, and I always got to say fuck man I do it like this to try and help prevent you retard janitors to not fuck shit up.
>But they use suicide whips and nigger-rigged double-female cords instead of just swapping the fucking ends so they have 2 legit extension cords, so fuck.
>>
>>967139
>suicide whips
what's this?
>double-female cords
in what situation would they be using these tho?
>>
>>967136
All plugs should should have the "sock" there. I've had my thumb slip and touch the neutral more than once. Fucking sucks, especially in confined and dark areas.
>>
>>967136
And yet they still wont put them in bathrooms.
>>
>>967141
A suicide whip is any cord with two male plugs on it. People make them when they are nigger rigging their generators I to their house wiring. Or when they are retarded
>>
>>966969
>>Craftsman
There's your problem.

I have a $30 Home Depot Shopvac and mine is 3 prong.
>>
File: 61580-tr-1[1].jpg (138KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
61580-tr-1[1].jpg
138KB, 1600x1600px
>>966697

NEMA 5-15r receptacles come the same way now actually. They can be a pain with unbonded equipment.
>>
>>967062
>>967074

It's a GFCI. They're only used for outdoor receptacles, or ones without a certain distance of a sink/tub. The difference between a GFCI receptacle and GFI breaker is a couple hundred dollars.
>>
>>967171
Mine work with ungrounded stuff fine. You have to push both shutters at the same time, not ground first.
>>
>>966639
Australian plugs are designed specifically so you can't connect the terminals by shoving something into them, that's why they are angled like that
the plugs are also really deep and narrow

also most have switches on them, as a safety feature ans also I think to stop power wastage when nothing is plugged in

I like the indented European plugs, they help prevent the plugs from bending or falling out
not sure if you would have to cut into the plaster to install them though, or if they would have a higher profile that AU/china plugs
>>
Australian socket outlets are the best.
People crapping on about how british plugs are fused, so what? You can protect the appliance? Most Australian appliances have fuse or thermal cutout/other over current device integrated within the appliance to minimize the risk, typically mandatory. The appliance cable isn't protected? Generally speaking either the RCD or the MCB protecting the circuit supplying the socket outlet will operate if a fault occurs on the appliance lead.

Shutters? Australia goes one better with auto switched socket outlets. Electricity is only applied to the device once the plug is fully inserted done by an internal mechanism. Conventional shutter socket outlets are also available that are operated by the earth pin.

Single phase flat pin socket outlets are available in 10, 15 or 20A. 10 15 or 20A plugs can go into a 20A socket but 15 and 20 cant go into 10 respectively and so on.

It is now mandatory for all Australian plugs to have the insulated selves on the active and neutral pins to prevent thin conductive objects coming into contact with improperly inserted plugs.
Additional protection is done by a integrated sleeve around the socket which makes it recessed and makes that type of fault almost impossible, this is typically seen on extension sockets.

Australian flat pin socket and plugs are also available in IP56/66 which are also compatible with normal domestic outlets but loose the IP protection. The IP56/66 socket/plugs when properly used make unintentional disconnection almost impossible.
>>
>>967085
>Huehue's can't even agree on something as simple as what plug to use.

All the other third world countries managed it.
>>
>>967002
I think your citation got lost on the way. Could you repost it?

>>967056
As you wish: UK machines and appliances have no thinner cabling than identical machines and appliances in other countries. Clear enough for you?
>>
File: Dandy drone.jpg (37KB, 225x156px) Image search: [Google]
Dandy drone.jpg
37KB, 225x156px
>>967318
EE on this country is retarded. They are working on some advanced shit and on next room you have big business men talking about how inovative using SENSORS on low tension networks is. (Today if I don't know.. A electric cable is cut/damaged in your hood here the company won't know unless someone calls.). I was actually on this room while this people explained to a bunch of freshmen how they were being "inovative" by actually implementing things that should've been done 30 years ago. And a building a way they are working with super-capacitors, tiny wheeny little peeny experimental electronic components that need big money because china only prints them in bulk (Analog but their aplications are nice), AIs and satelites. If and when I graduate I'm making money and moving to the US. Atleast the governmet there doesn't steal 10% of your salary.
>>
>>967345
And the retarded, bootlickers re-inventing the wheel get more funds than the rest.
>>
>>967345
it wasnt just invented 40 years ago. it's an international standard now. there's a whole set of IEEE standards for networking powerlines so they can be switched remotely and a number of cool stuff.

it's still innovative though if they've just installed a wifi router and last week they were using typewriters.
>>
>>967139
>fuck man you mounted it upside down

Well then, you'll just have to take all your power tools and extension cords back and trade them in for ones with the ground pin up.
>>
>>967134
Carpenter friend of mine was on a job where some guy measured along wall with a steel tape. Measuring tape slipped and went right down between plug and receptacle. Big bang.
>>
>>966639
China and Australia. You can't reverse polarity with those.
>>
>>967479
>polarity
>alternate current
>>
>>967480
Are you retarded or trolling?

If, like you suggest, each pole carried half a phase, the poles would be interchangeable, but all your stuff where the neutral is bonded to earth would be on fire, and all the stuff where it's bonded to the case would electrocute you.

This should suggest to you that the hot "alternates" between positive and negative, and the neutral stays at zero.
>>
>>967479
The only one on there that you can reverse is the Europlug. Every other one is polarised by different-sized pins, or mandatory ground pins.
>>
>>967484
Yes, you're right. But in my country neutral and earth should not be bonded anywhere after distribution panel, so we don't care about polarity.
>>
>>967341
>UK machines and appliances have no thinner cabling than identical machines and appliances in other countries

Now who's the one making uncited claims?
>>
>>967132
>Some North American receptacles are mounted ground pin up to prevent this.
In the US this is how you know if you're hiring a competent electrician or not. If he mounts it the other way you send him home.
>>
>>967532

>tfw I know this but I have no idea how to wire a house.
>>
>>967526
The one who claimed UK appliances have thinner cables, you idiot.
>>
>>966691
They are. And are actually even safer than the US/Britbong/Aussie variants in that they connect the earth pin first, grounding the device before making any contact with the live or neutral.
Plugging in is maybe a bit more difficult, but you could hang a few kilos from the cable before the plug yanks out of the socket. And I'd say that the cable would give first.
>>
>>967000
No, GFCI (or RCDs as we like to call them) are mandatory in EU, but the're on the breaker side protecting several circuits at once. Cheaper and more robust, the sockets don't need to be changed, etc. etc. The new codes are more strict and require RCDs for all user-operable outlets, and 30mA residual current max.
>>
US plugs suck because they were designed by Thomas Fucking Edison himself. He had to invent the plug on his own with no one else's work to improve upon.
>>
>>967561
>And are actually even safer than the US/Britbong/Aussie variants in that they connect the earth pin first

Nope. BS1363 (UK) plugs have a longer earth pin so that it's always connected before the phase & neutral.
>>
File: never.jpg (107KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
never.jpg
107KB, 400x400px
>>967377
WAIT! There is more! Brazil isn't for beginners!
>127v AND 220v on the SAME nation
>new plug system makes 10A and 20A plugs that can't fit eachother (a sane decision)
BUT
>new plug system still alows 127v to go into a 220v or vice versa
>building several powerplants (hydro, solar and eolic)
>WITHOUT CONECTING THEM TO THE GRID

If you aren't stupid, or you don't pretend to be stupid or bad there is no future here.
>>
>>967575
To take this further the earth pin opens shutters on the live pins, making it impossible to connect the live pins before the earth, even if you cut the earth pin short with a hacksaw, it will either connect earth first or not connect at all.
>>
>>967556
We don't. Cable diameter is specified by load and requirements. Eg 2.5mm, solid, braided, artic, armoured, silicone ...
>>
>>966687
so they can look angry when someone makes a post like yours....
>>
This shit always makes me laugh, UK plugs are fused and rated to 13A how the fuck is ganging extension leads going to overload them? Unless they are cheap China leads that fail to meet specified rating or have been nigger-rigged
>>
>>966770
most of those soldiers would be deployed to a US built base which would just be built and wired in the US standard... on leave in that country then yeah they might need an adapter but most likely some other soldier would remind them that "hey your normal crap won't work with the weird as shit wiring here" ...
>>
>>966811
>>See? It's all very sensible.

till you step on an unplugged one in the dark...

seriously though I feel like 230V is overkill for running normal day to day shit. out of curiosity, whats the reasoning behind it?
>>
>>966966
no exposed metal, no earth pin required.
>>
>>966979
What are the downsides of those schuko EU plugs?
>>
>>967556
The ratio of final circuit cross sectional area and load current to that of the device flex can be much larger.
What kind of current are eu radials?
>>
>>967613
They're huge and there's no way to differentiate line and neutral.
>>
>>967594
If you have a look for it there are a few reports published by testing authorities where supermarket and shed 4 way strips are stress tested. Most of them discolour or melt long before they hit 13A. Even scarier when you consider a typical fuse curve
>>
>>967594
>UK plugs are fused and rated to 13A
UK plugs are rated to god-knows-what, and fused to 13A, 5A or 3A, depending on the flex.

If you gang extension leads and then overload the root one, well the root one has a fuse in its plug too. If the leads are all BS-compliant, you can't overload them without blowing a fuse somewhere.
>>
>>967042

Where do you live where this is a problem?
>>
>>967655

>BS compliant

You see they forget this shit. BS, the most tedious standard, is also the most fail safe standard.

These folks go and pick up 4 gang extension leads from the paki market that have the most identical plug and socket setup which really and truly adheres to no standard and wonder why their house is blazing up like a Jamaican with a fresh crop.
>>
>>967660

Type G fag here.

I have never dropped anything or seen anyone drop anything near a plug.

I think Americans have some sort of fettish for throwing pennies and dimes or whatever they call them so they real issues over there.
>>
File: 2025RCWE.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
2025RCWE.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
>>967001
ausfag sparky here. we have rcd outlets too. we dont put them on every socket because thats retarded and expensive. Instead we protect the circuits at the board with rcds.

The only time we need an rcd outlet is when its in a cardiac room, where Very low trip current is needed, or when its needs to be reset like instantly
>>
>>967787
But they cost like $2 more than regular receptacles. Also, you can daisy-chain the GFCI from a single outlet for a whole room.
>>
>>967663
This. Quality over quantity, to be honest my entertainment center runs off two 4 gang extensions to a 6gang rack pdu, though they are all fused on plugs to 10A and the pdu is gfci / surge protected. The biggest load is probably the TV and my pc, the rest is old games consoles.
>>
File: DKplug.jpg (7KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
DKplug.jpg
7KB, 265x265px
Pro IT plug from denmark
>>
>>967598
>I feel like 230V is overkill for running normal day to day shit.

Having used things like electric kettles & clothes irons in both the US & UK, 230V makes a lot of sense for day to day use.

>out of curiosity, whats the reasoning behind it?

Higher voltages are more efficient (less power loss over the same distances), and you can get the same power for half the amperage. So a UK plug can get just under 3kW from a socket (13A @ 230V) using 2.5mm cables, but to get the same power from a socket with a 110V system you'd need double the amperage (~27A @110V) and pretty much double the size cables to carry that load.

You could use even higher voltages and get more power/use thinner cables, but obviously as the voltage increases so does the potential danger, so 230V is about the right balance of efficiency against potential danger that makes sense.
>>
>>966650
>its Switzerland.
please post country so i can ridicule your cunt's education system
>>
File: product_3964.jpg (136KB, 524x600px) Image search: [Google]
product_3964.jpg
136KB, 524x600px
>>966639
US one is the best, imho
>keyed
>compact
>has grounding
the UK one is fucking retardedly bulky, ana every time i see it reminds me of the local industrial 3 phase standard plug in here (pic related).
It's probably good if you plug your lathe, but it's retarded for phone charger or hair dryer.
and Japan and Russia, what the fuck? Are you just asking for trouble or YOLO?
>>
File: vagina-diagram-3.jpg (69KB, 603x434px) Image search: [Google]
vagina-diagram-3.jpg
69KB, 603x434px
Women have the best outlets.
>>
>>967840
more of a receiver than an outlet
>>
>>967841
more things come out of it then go in.
>>
>>966650
Japanese outlets are just american ones with lower voltage. The grounding is a debate that probably can be extended to all plugs.
>>
File: tax.jpg (63KB, 508x696px) Image search: [Google]
tax.jpg
63KB, 508x696px
>>967345
>Atleast the governmet there doesn't steal 10% of your salary.
yeah they steal more. that's not including state/local, social security, etc.
>>
>>966979
The best.
Best and strongest contact with a socket.
>>966639
Some of them looks like 3-phase sockets. Disturbing.
>>
>>967810

>Hey kid im thirsty
>how about you share that drink with me
>>
>>967345
>A electric cable is cut/damaged in your hood here the company won't know unless someone calls
Just wow, terrible.
Here you can't find any power/distribution lines without relays.
All network is joined in circles. If some cable got damaged, relays do the job in seconds and connects users from other side.
I love my job.
>>
>>967665
it was a fuckin europoor who said the great american plug could be felled by a penny.
>>
>>967630
Could you repeat that in plain English?
>>
>>967643
Heh. In Norway it is actually live1 and live2, 110V on each, 220V when added together. No idea how it works, sparky mate tried to explain to me, told me only we and Albania uses this system. Perk is that if you touch one live and something connected to ground, you only get half shocked. Not sure what downsides there are, and I've never come across a foreign appliance that didn't work here.
>>
>>966650
>>966646
Fuck how can amerifats be so fucking damn stupid?
>>
>>966702
the reason for the two different plugs for 10 and 15 amp is so that it is physically impossible to plug a device that draws 15 amps into a circuit with 10 amp wiring
>>
File: governmit.jpg (2MB, 3500x2595px) Image search: [Google]
governmit.jpg
2MB, 3500x2595px
>>967925
I'm not talking about taxes. Private workers literally have 8% of their money taken by the government because they are deemed to dumb to handle their own finances and are put into a account that is technically yours but you can only take money from it if the government allows. It's called FGTS and it's a paternalist bullshit from the dictatorship. Then there is IRS and consumption taxes (50%) on every product. Plus taxes for owning land and vehicles. (You pay them every year and are suposed to be used in infraestructure maintenance and improvement [but aren't]).
>"hey I'm a good guy, let me handle your money in case you get fired and save up for your pensions"
>"But it's my money right?"
>only if you need it : ^ )
People here literally work 5 months just to pay taxes.
[/de_railing_rant]
>>967949
The high tension lines connecting plants, states, substations etc are all in the norm. Low tension is a mess tough.
>>
>>968069
...okay, but why bother with 10A wiring? Why not just wire everything for 15A?

In b4 "too hard". That's literally what almost every country in Europe does.
>>
>>968107
so it's social security
>>
File: 316740.jpg (114KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
316740.jpg
114KB, 800x450px
>>967028
>>
File: you dishonor famiry.jpg (23KB, 318x279px) Image search: [Google]
you dishonor famiry.jpg
23KB, 318x279px
>>968159
>>
>>966763
>3-phase in every house
Why? The fuck are you doing in your house that you need (or would want) two extra phases?
>>
>>967132
>>967532
This is bullshit. The ground goes on the bottom for 90% of outlets in America. They will flip one ground on top to show that it's switched. Most electricians I know will even call this the "lamp outlet" because it's the one you plug a floor lamp into. And if you're dumb enough to put a penny between a plug and the wall you deserved to get shocked.
>>
>>966979
Absolutly this. Best Plug in the World, strong, save and well engineered. Can handle 250V at 16 Amps. US - Plugs are just Toys.
>>
File: 1640813_700x700.jpg (103KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1640813_700x700.jpg
103KB, 700x700px
>>968217
US 220 volt plugs are rated to 230 volts and 50 amps. That's 11.5 kW.

Are other countries even trying to industrialize? I bet you can't even run a plasma welder off the mains in your house!
>>
>>968216
I have only seen ground on the bottom of a US receptacle in households and offices, any type of industrial sites, or places with actual physical work being done, has had ground oriented on the top
>>
>>968216

Most new houses have the ground on the bottom because "muh decor". A lot of old houses have the ground on the bottom, mounted sideways, or the receptacle is just dangling mid air zero fucks style. It's the oldschool way I guess.
>>
File: very fast dog.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
very fast dog.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>968219
>50 A
>>
>>968219
Fucking this.

>>968326
I was referring to homes because that was kind of the basis of the thread. But still, most newer industrial sites I've been to (maybe a dozen) have the ground prong on bottom for 120V outlets and turn-lock plugs for everything 240.
I'd be curious to see what the NEC says about it.
>>
>>968219
>needing two different plugs wired into your house.

I can run a plasma welder from the UK house mains.
No rewiring needed.
>>
>>968211
3phase is great for anything with a motor in it and you can pull a shit ton of power for stoves and ovens. All the clothes washers,dryers, ovens and stoves I've seen here are 380v 3ph.
>>
in italy we have these 2 kind on almost 99% of the paces not the one in the op pic
>>
>>968219
Nigger literally everyone has 3-phase coming into their house in the civilised world. I can get 17,25 kW out of my shitty residential supply without having to wire my electrical system through my copper plumbing to handle the current.
>>
>>966642
>having sockets where the plug may fall out
>other countries having identity crisis for using best socket.
so funny

>>966699
Euro sockets don't wear out to the point a plug falls out. Also the recessing makes sure you won't get electrocuted at that end, so they're safer than muripoor sockets. European plugs are largely compatible with a wide variety of European sockets, which is not possible with other standards. Also the pins on the plug are not likely to bend at all. The sockets don't require expensive mechanics build in them like the UK ones, or switches or fuses which belong to devices instead of sockets, keeping the shit where it belongs instead of putting every safety feature in the sockets. Also they're able to draw 16A with a standard plug, at 230v that is a whopping 3680VA possible to be delivered to a single device with one socket. those points are making them the best sockets.

>>966800
You're especially retarded, I don't know any device which can make use of the difference between line and neutral, at least in Europe any metal device must be earthed, but you must be really huge retard if you think you can connect that earth, or exposed metal to neutral, both the line and neutral must be completely isolated form any bare metal.

>>966948
>If it wasn't for the Polish
Polish can be held accountable for nothing at all in history, your county had just no role at all in WW2. You might mean if it wasn't for the Russians, or Hitlers mistake to actually go there (but when he did poles where nothing of a resistance). Russians are way more respected in any way than poles in Europe for sure, your country is just known for taking too much credit when doing nothing good or mentionable at all.

>>967613
No single thing wrong with them, except weak people whining that they fit too well into their sockets.

>>967643
There's no reason to differentiate line and neutral you idiot. Earth is for metal outsides, and line and neutral should be isolated.
>>
>>968557
Classic child 4chan response = its all about WW2.
>Not getting the immigrant reference.
>Not getting the abuse of disability allowance reference.
>>
>>968557
>both the line and neutral must be completely isolated form any bare metal.
You've never seen any AV device, have you?

It's not possible to build a perfect-physics-land isolating power supply, so getting the neutral the right way round makes a huge difference to what potential your signal ground floats at.

Which in turn leads to HDMI cables that don't electrocute the user.
>>
>>967816
>Russia, what the fuck? Are you just asking for trouble or YOLO?
Most of the old houses here don't have anything to ground to aside from maybe ye ole rusty plumbing. New houses are required to have proper grounding though, so we use Schuko outlets where it makes sense. Another trouble comes from euro plugs having pins too large to fit into most soviet-era outlets and if you manage to force one in it won't hold its intended plugs properly anymore.
>>
>>966948
>If it wasn't for the Polish we'd all be speaking German.

If it wasn't for the Russians, Europe would all be speaking German. If it wasn't for the USA, you'd all be speaking Russian.
>>
File: Dywizjon_303_4.jpg (155KB, 614x436px) Image search: [Google]
Dywizjon_303_4.jpg
155KB, 614x436px
>>968765
Some doesn't know their War 2 history.

>Another fine product of the Hollywood educational system.

The USSR and the USA didn't join the war until 1941. The Battle of Britain however was over by October 1940.
>>
>>968137
desu i don't know the reasoning, but i can only assume its either a safety thing (lower current) or a cost thing (cheaper cables)
>>
>>967844
Disgusting.
>>
>>966639
>Who has the best outlets?
Nobody. Every design was implemented because it works and they all have the same functionality.

Except Russian and Japanese.
Holy fuck no grounding anywhere.
Get your shit together.
>>
File: areyouatofu.png (864KB, 745x691px) Image search: [Google]
areyouatofu.png
864KB, 745x691px
>>967643

>he's never seen a small schuko

>differentiate line and neutral
>>
>>966639
'Murrica. Not even joking.
>>
File: pigoutlet.jpg (51KB, 580x370px) Image search: [Google]
pigoutlet.jpg
51KB, 580x370px
>>
>>967814
>American education
>>
>>968557
>There's no reason to differentiate line and neutral you idiot.
Yeah there is: if you switch the neutral, you haven't actually switched anything, the cable is still live, and a good path to ground can develop several kilowatts.

This is why one is called "live", one is called "neutral", and we draw a distinction between the two.
>>
>>968593
I have seen AV devices but mine are not complete shit. They should use a transformer with a center winding to create that signal ground you're talking about. Never have I seen a device that connected signal ground to socket neutral and it's only a good idea to do so when you want your devices or heart to fail very soon. also:
>It's not possible to build a perfect-physics-land isolating power supply, so getting the neutral the right way round makes a huge difference to what potential your signal ground floats at.
This makes no sense at all and you've proven that you're retarded. Neutral is for flowing back current from line, nothing else.

>>968581
go away, you're retarded

>>969027
You probably have a neckbeard, and you're probably too autistic to actually read what I meant. Of course the distinction is there and I never said there is no difference, but it should just not be mis-used in electrical devices by connecting any kind of ground to the neutral.
>>
>>968581
oh and your 'references' suck, just sayin
>>
>>969068
>They should use a transformer with a center winding
And you plan to tie that center-winding to a reference voltage how exactly?

You can't use the earth because there isn't one.

I guess you could use the user when they touch the signal ground.
>>
>>969078
>And you plan to tie that center-winding to a reference voltage how exactly?

You don't fucking know anything about electronics do you? You don't have to reference against anything, that center ground IS the reference. and when isolated you can connect as much reference ground together as you want without any problem. Look up a fucking schematic diagram for an amplifier or something, and not that tdaxxx or lmxxx shit, but just a good old transistor amp with a linear psu, cause you have a lot to learn it seems. Also: I hate people who talk shit without knowing their shit, so learn something if you wish to continue your bullcrap.
>>
>>966650
I hope you're not american because if you are you're just reinforcing the stereotype that we have no fucking idea where anything else is besides good ole 'murrica on a globe.
>>
>>969081
>You don't have to reference against anything, that center ground IS the reference
Sure, and that's fine so long as no potential external to the system ever comes along, like --oh, wait-- the whole point of the discussion: the user who's at earth-ground.
>>
>>966639
Swiss
>>
>>969094
>that's fine so long as no potential external to the system ever comes along
You're just making up shit, no that is no fucking problem at all. You're stupid because you don't understand there is no path to anywhere when an user at any potential would touch a reference or signal that is not connected to one of the power lines. It would be a problem if the reference was connected to the neutral or phase as the neutral is never exactly at earth level and would impose a current to earth via capacitance between the phase and neutral, if you have no earth you should connect your internal reference to nothing. I'm almost certain that it's even forbidden as it would impose great danger if any touchable metal part of a device is connected to any part of the plug except earth.

I recommend everyone to ignore the stupid shit you make up as I'm gonna do.
>>
>>969404
You guys are both not making great points.
Neutral is bonded to earth at the meter/disconnect, and apparently only at the transformer in some countries?

Anon isn't getting 50kv DC to his house, so he definitely has hot/line and neutral. If he thinks he doesn't, he's full of shit. US and other 120v countries need to have balanced split phase power so they can have a couple 240v appliances going from hot1 to hot2. You still have neutral and ground there though (depending on application or if it's a legacy socket)

Chassis ground is chassis ground. If you need to ground your signal/antenna/whatever to chassis ground, that's fine and you can expect your plug to be grounded if it has a ground plug.
If the case became energized it would trip the breaker quickly enough to not do anything exciting unless you had some probes stuck in your fingers. You can use a ground icon in your schematic and have a ground plane in a double insulated box and that makes sense and no one is going to give a shit.

Line and neutral are still the only thing used for moving pixies around.
>>
England does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEfP1OKKz_Q
>>
>>969477
>Neutral is bonded to earth at the meter/disconnect
This may or may not be true but its certainly not guaranteed and certainly should not be relied upon.
In the UK typically a buried service will have neutral and earth at the same potential at the cut out while an overhead service will quite sensibly require an earth rod because of things like lightning strikes
Either way its an implementation detail and nothing any device should ever rely on. Neutral is a live conductor and should be treated with the same respect as any line conductor
>>
>>969536
It's not 'relied' upon it's just done that way and is necessary for safety. It's so necessary I really can't believe you don't get neutral/earth bonded at prem, and if you don't then you must at least get an independent earth conductor and get that bonded at premises.

Sticking an 8 foot long copper rod in the earth is not actually going to be good enough to trip a breaker. There's 10-100k ohms resistance between that ground rod and neutral or live.

If you bond it to neutral, which is fine because neutral is going to be within a couple volts of it anyway, then you can setup your ground and neutral bars and everything is great because now it's less than 25 ohms to ground and that's plenty trip even if you take into account the resistance of your service drop and the resistance of your furthest outlet.
>>
File: Sex, electricity power outlet 2.jpg (46KB, 500x783px) Image search: [Google]
Sex, electricity power outlet 2.jpg
46KB, 500x783px
>>966639

Why is this even a question?
>>
>>969027
double pole is pretty standard, yo
>>
>>969574
It's done differently depending on the circumstances.
Most common is tn-s where earth is connected to the transformer secondary, tn-c-s is connection at the customer cutout.
tt supply means you connect directly to earth at the installation which usually means earth rod.
You don't just bang a rod in and hope for the best, of course there is a schedule of tests to ensure suitable impedance of not just the fault path but also the impedance of the soil to make sure people standing near it don't get a shock.

Then again this is usually used in rural farm supplies and farmers don't usually give a shit if its safe or not but there's not really a classification for no earth
>>
>>966970
Because Dyson is cheap, overpriced, consumerist tier garbage that belongs on /g/
>>
>>967005
Danes confirmed for baby killers
>>
>>968431

>not having glorious gas stoves.

I'll give you the electric ovens, but gas stoves are things of beauty.
>>
>>968219
>not 240V

laughing_australians.jpg
>>
>>969999
our plugs are actually 250v if you measure it with a multimeter not 240 :P
>>
File: IMG_20160330_082929.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160330_082929.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>969599
>>
>>967042
It is code in some localities to install US plugs with the ground up. Just about every commerical space has them that way.

>>967046
No, it's generally retards yanking the cord to unplug the device since they can't be bothered to walk across the room.
>>
File: 1.jpg (5KB, 640x317px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
5KB, 640x317px
Nema 14 is best connector.
>>
File: 1.jpg (24KB, 500x487px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
24KB, 500x487px
>>970264
And picture fucked it's self... Lets try again with a nema 14-50
>>
>>970271
>stove plug
I prefer Nema L*-** connectors. Screw everyone else's plugs, these ones do not pull out.
>>
>>968137
It is literally the same wiring. The only difference is the face plate on the socket.

It is just a safety thing so you dont put three welders on the same circuit.
>>
File: 1458789373762.jpg (131KB, 571x636px) Image search: [Google]
1458789373762.jpg
131KB, 571x636px
>>966639
>>
>>970476
>It is just a safety thing so you dont put three welders on the same circuit.

So fuse the circuit so it trips before it's over-current?
>>
The new br or SA one.

Schuko is also great but a little bigger.

UK only needs a fuse because they have a retard circuit.
It's basically a plug for downies.
inb4 muh copper shortages. Basically lost WW2 because the rest of Europe had money for copper.
>>
>>970518
The Swiss/Br is international standard / new design.
It's the best.
Strong as a Schuko but needs a lot less materials and is smaller.

UK plug is off by default since it's designed for a ring circuit which is stupid.
>>
>>969529
Idiot is acting like britbongs are the only ones with those features.
Guess what, they're not.

And fuses inside your plug aren't needed for countries with a radial circuit.
>>
File: 1458758435025.jpg (28KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1458758435025.jpg
28KB, 601x508px
>>972074
>You can get a shuttered US outlet.
>US outlets are not fused, but should fail safely if nothing else is wrong.
>US circuits have breakers or fuses or GFCI or AFCI on them depending on what code is.
>You CAN get a fused US plug if you want to, but no one bothers.

I am more sad that I can't plug a welder into a normal outlet, or that I don't need to install a plug manually into any new device I buy.

I totally love US outlets and they are totally adequate, really.
>>
>muh fuses
Britbongs btfo desu.

Their plug is shit, it only causes injuries because people stand on them and some get infected afterwards.

Meanwhile a lot of other plugs have the exact same safety features but aren't risky to step on.
>>
>>972621
They're switched at the wall, why unplugthem.
>>
>>972624
So britbongs can no longer feel special about their infected feet
>>
>>972621
>risky to step on

If you leave your plugs just laying all over the floor you probably deserve it.
>>
>>972629
I agree that those people deserve it.
But you have to factor in stupid people when discussing plugs.
>>
>>972621
thanks for bumping thread
is nice thread
>>
>>972621
you are missing the wood for the trees anon
there is no point having fuses in a plug when the breaker and the wire in the wall can only handle a measly amount of current in the first place.

uk socket circuits carry >3-4x the power of us circuits typically. the fuse protects the appliance cable from this mighty force.
>>
>>972730
I know.
But some Britfags don't know why they're the only ones with a fuse in their plug.

I think it signifies who won and who lost WW2.
Rest of Europe had enough copper for a proper radial cricuit.
UK had to settle with a ring circuit
>>
>>972739
>had to settle
i still use fused plugs in my radial circuits anon.
because they are beefy as fuck.
>>
>>972742
But you choose for it because you're cool.

Britain has to use it because their wiring is stupid.
>>
>>972744
but i am British
>>
>>972745
Then congrats on not having a ring circuit
>>
>>972746
its becoming fairly common actually
not just with newbuilds either
>>
>>969894

>Turn on flame, heat right away
>Turn off flame, heat gone immediately (other than residual heat on pot and on grill)

Electric coil now

>Turn on heat, wait for coil to heat up
>Turn off heat, better remove your pot from that coil or enjoy scraping that stew off the bottom of your pot
>>
File: rf30032007049.jpg (16KB, 230x215px) Image search: [Google]
rf30032007049.jpg
16KB, 230x215px
This specific derivative of 'murican outlets should be the standard in here because they're good, sturdy and they're compatible with the appliances we already had, but nooo, had to make a new standard that no one else besides the swiss uses
>>
File: 1459815982710.jpg (11KB, 230x215px) Image search: [Google]
1459815982710.jpg
11KB, 230x215px
>>972902
pic related amirite
>>
>>968048

What amuses me every time they say yuropoor, is the thought they owe almost 19 trillion in debt and apparently most of their gold reserves are unaccounted for... every day you see Americans online begging for money to pay medical bills, you never see that in Europoor land :)
>>
>>967114
I cannot believe that this is a real problem. Even if it was, and people were fuckin losing pennies raining out of their pockets as they slid along walls, Aus plugs just actually plug into the wall, so the pins aren't exposed (because why would they be?)
>>
>>972924
They also fail to see the difference between a $19 trillion deficit vs a $12 trillion collective deficit of 28 countries.

But they always have to be right, just look at their devotion in this thread to a shitty plug because it's theirs.
>>
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=%77%68%65%72%65%20%63%61%6e%20%49%20%64%6f%77%6e%6c%6f%61%64%20%63%68%69%6c%64%20%70%6f%72%6e%20%61%6e%64%20%68%6f%77%20%63%61%6e%20%49%20%6b%69%6c%6c%20%74%68%65%20%70%72%65%73%69%64%65%6e%74
>>
>>973061
>https://
>defeated yourself
>>
>>973061
>youexpectmetoclickonthatshit.exe
>>
>>966755
UK is 240V m8
>>
>>973089
that's what they want you to think. what voltage do you measure at the wall? do you think it doesnt vary with line losses.

you're pretty much just working with 220V for practical reasons. americans use 220V, china uses 220V,
>>
>>973092
Measured 241, get rekt
>>
>>973092
So by your logic the measurement at the wall for the usa would be 181V going by similar loss here in the uk.
>>
>>973100
wow australia is shit. we get about 230V
>>
>>966639
Canadian here, I think North America's outlet design is one of the worst.

>flat, easily bendable prongs on the plugs
>no fuses on the outlets or in the plugs
>no switches on the outlets
>99% of outlets are installed in an incorrect orientation (ground should be at the top for support, not the bottom)
>no shrouding on the plugs' prongs
>cheapass extension cords and splitters often exclude ground connections, leading idiots to remove the ground plugs from their devices
>no shutters on the outlets

Now, I know a lot of these things could easily be solved with safer outlet designs that retain full compatibility, but I still think flat metal prongs were a terrible idea.
>>
>>973106
>So by your logic

He literally measured it.

Either way, both of you need to fuck off and read the actual definition before you both make bigger fools of yourselves.
>>
>>972906
Thats one angry outlet.
>>
>>973100
It depends on a lot of factors.
How hard are the factories running and how much energy do other households use.

It's normal that voltage fluctuates during the day
>>
File: 1459815982710.jpg (11KB, 230x215px) Image search: [Google]
1459815982710.jpg
11KB, 230x215px
>>973142
we all have bad days m8
>>
>>973113
>no fuses on the outlets or in the plugs
>no switches on the outlets
why would you want this? I'd rather change one central fuse than a thousand fuses for everything I own.
>>
>>973092
Voltage at my cut out is a comfy and constant 249V. I can just see the substation from the attic window.
UK voltage was 240 but harmonised to 230+-6% or some shit so we could pretend to be euro voltage but not have to actually change anything
>>
>>969586
Was gonna make this to post it here, but you got me covered, Anon. Thanks. :-)
>>
Denmark looks the happiest
>>
>>973210
UK here, never had to change a house fuse, never had to change a plug fuse.

Why do American fuses keep blowing?
>>
>>973301
>Why do American fuses keep blowing?

We don't unless it a very old house. We have circuit breakers.
>>
>>973152
I'm bored and pretentious so here I go

There is no heavy industry in this town, so there is little load on our grid.

Our substation (oil filled substation transformer) feeds a couple streets and all lighting in the area.

It's a green space so there's plenty of street lighting.

Currently voltage is 247

All residential sub stations are 3 phase and each house is connected in alternating phases to spread load (all houses are wired up for 3 but one is used)

The eu 230v was a compromise as the continent is on 220 and UK on 240. 230 isn't a standard but a conformity measure. To make sure all devices work on both 220 and 240.

Official Uk mains tolerance is +10/-6% at 230v. All power stations are old and have not really been harmonised and new ones are scarce because all governments up to now believe nuclear is bad and still won't build any.
>>
>>972924
>>973060
Not American, but I still couldn't resist. Who has military bases in who's country again? Large deficit or not, they fucking own Europe's asshole.
>>
>>973301
We haven't used fuses regularly since the the 40's. In 30 years I've lived in 5 different places and I've had a circuit breaker trip 3 times. Every time due to equipment failure, not a problem with the wiring in the home itself. IE working as intended.

'Fixing' a tripped circuit breaker consists of 3 steps:

1. Open circuit breaker panel door
2. Flip tripped circuit breaker back to on position
3. Close circuit breaker panel door
>>
>>966639 Your mother
>>
>>973113
>what is a TR receptacle, mandatory in all new houses in Canada
>>
>>973113

Meh it's safe enough. 120 volts is nothing and barely hurts if you get shocked, If a rabbit or cat can take it then you should be able to too. Stop being a electricity-pussy.

Overloading cheap extension cords to the point of getting hot is a little sketchy though but you could do that in any country.
>>
>>973473
That's an inlet, anon.
>>
>>973571
>Overloading cheap extension cords to the point of getting hot is a little sketchy though but you could do that in any country.

Well, no, because (as we established earlier), in the UK every plug is mandated to have a fuse in it, and the fuse inside the extension's plug blows should you overload it.

inb4 "the fuse protects the wire not the device": an extension lead is a wire, not a device.
>>
>>973612
Find me a single outlet fused extension cord.
What ever you plug into the cord will have a fuse so most manufacturers omit the fuse in extension cords.
>>
>>973695

The fuse is in the plug, which is part of the extension chord.
>>
Italian plug is the best in term of space optimization. Being small means it can be implemented even in small spots. Uk plug are designed in a stupid-safe way. In the end they're bulky and heavy. I think German plug also are great. More sturdy but not so bulky as UK ones.
>>
File: _wsb_172x162_Steckdose+2.jpg (66KB, 172x162px) Image search: [Google]
_wsb_172x162_Steckdose+2.jpg
66KB, 172x162px
>>966639
Swiss plugs mostly look like this, not that retarded singleplug shit.
>>
>>973695
>Find me a single outlet fused extension cord.
literally all of them
>most omit the fuse
not if they want to sell them in the uk they don't
>>
>>973729
Went on amazon.co.uk. First two single outlet cords ( one outdoor and one indoor) don't have fuses.
>>
>>973850
post link
>>
Wow even diy has a meme thred
>>
>>969999
Respectable quads
>>
>>968776

Go ahead and try to wage your war without American money and see how long you last.

Pretty sad that you are only around because your colonies (and yes I am including Australia and Canada) bailed you out.
>>
File: 1459996032852.jpg (206KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1459996032852.jpg
206KB, 768x1024px
>>
german : Security, stability and plug in the two way
>>
>>966763
>3 Phases on every house
>They have to put a coil for every single fucking washing machine, Fridge, or major appliance in order not to pay 50% on the electricity bill due to shit instalations

You can't make these things up
>>
I like the Swiss/Brazilian the most.

Small plugs, very pratical.
>>
>>973987
Spoken like true cannon fodder.
>>
I came here to spout
>muh german euro master electrics

but seriously, the swiss 3ph plug looks really sexy.

Also wtf Italy, why you gotta go be all design all the time, fuck.

There's an advantage to the euro design with the ground poles on the side thoe, if the appliance has a round plug it has to have a ground plug to fit the wall. It also has to be completely inserted into the outlet to get power.

Impossible to electrocute with knives and forks (although nails work)
>>
>>973855
You post link with a cord that is fused.
>>
>>974442
Fused in the plug
Pic related
>>
>>974450
Nowhere in that item's description is the word fuse mentioned. Only thing even related is what the cord it's self can handle.
>>
>>974456
You have no idea about our plugs do you
>>
>>974456
See that green thing in the plug? It's indicative of a fuse. If the fuse pops, that's probably where you swap it. A fused cord is a second layer of safety to prevent overheating, and to be frank, overheating multiplier cords is a pretty big problem when you load tv + oven + fan + charge laptop on the same single line. At least if your house a shit.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>974456
Every single plug in the uk is fused. If it isn't it cant be sold here.

Even the shitty eu compliant moulded plugs have fuses in them.
>>
>>974456
>http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metre-Mains-Power-Extension-Lead/dp/B005GNM88I
>Fitted with 13amp fused plug for instant use
its the first thing mentioned
>>
>>973724
>>973724
>9 conductors
holy fuck why?
>>
>>974554
Aw dude you ain't seen nothin.
>>
>>974554
That's three 3 conductor plugs, instead of one 3 conductor plug.
>>
>>966811
why is it than any time a british person explains something as "sensible" they could put a german engineer to sleep?
>>
>>967812
no I get that you draw less amperage at higher voltages for the same watt rating... but why did they go with this in the first place? other than electric kettles and apparently kickass irons... do you really have that many everyday items that have a high enough wattage requirement to justify 230V as a standard? over here on this side of the pond we have 2 phase 240 for high use stuff like electric dryers, stoves, and such... on a day to day basis the only appliance I can think of offhand that draws a fair bit of amperage at 110 is a keurig coffee maker... and that does indeed have a thicker cord... but really the rest all seems pretty normal... things like a 60w lamp aren't gonna draw a lot more amps at 11v vs 230? at least not enough to require uprating the cord?
>>
>>968027
bigger flats let through more zaps...
>>
>>974554
Considering the single one has three, it's safe to assume that's three separate ones.
>>
>>974233
Somebody's a cheeky fucker.
>>
File: oldschool.jpg (351KB, 1422x1160px) Image search: [Google]
oldschool.jpg
351KB, 1422x1160px
>>967810
>EDB
Nice, whenever I see plugs labeled that in Norway i instantly know the building is from the 70-80s.
>>
>>974576
Well you answered your own question already:

Kettles
Toasters
Electric ovens
Tumble dryers
Vacuum cleaners
Hair dryers
Washing machines
Steam irons

Those are all common items that are used daily and benefit from a higher voltage. In the US you have to run outlets especially for some of those appliances, or use less powerful appliances. In 230V countries we just...plug them in.
>>
>>974758
>EDB

Every Day Barry?
>>
>>974792
Only washing machines and dryers nowadays.
>>
>>974796
Well, I've never seen a residential washer that needs a 2+ HP motor so you can probably get by with 110v. Unless its a stackable washer/dryer unit that only uses one power cord.

You did leave stove/over off though and those still need 220v.

>>974792
>Vacuum cleaners
>Hair dryers

Wut? Unless you need to set your head on fire or suck the color out of your carpet I don't see why you would need to send more then 110v/15 amps to either of these.
>>
>>974793
Elektronisk Data Behandling
>>
>>974822
It's not the motor that needs the power, it's the heating element.

That being said most dryers are 110v at like 30A or more if they're not 220v
>>
>>974792
thats kindof what I'm getting at... you don't need a special outlet for any of those in the US.. they plug into a regular 110V wall socket other than the tumble dryer and oven... and even then it's only the electric style ones.. gas dryers and ovens run off regular 110V. also not like your gonna move a stove or dryer around so most houses have a 220/240V connection for it already set up....

I do appliance repair btw and I know they make 230V washing machines but over here almost every washer your gonna run into is run off of 110... only ever run into a 220V washer on the very occasional bosch.. see maybe 1 a year if that...

I've never noticed any lag or wait time using a toaster or coffee maker... granted I haven't used an iron in ages.. but I don't think theirs all that much difference in the time it takes one of ours to heat up vs one of yours... and again yes they draw more amps.. but not enough to justify uprating the chord... so why bother with the higher voltage in the first place?
>>
>>974822
>>974873
to expand on what this anon is saying... some european model washers like asko's meile and a few bosch's (the actual european ones not the made for U.S. market ones) have only a cold water hookup and use a built in heating element to heat all the water.. technically this is more efficient than lossing heat from the hot water through pipes to the unit... (although in my opinion your hot water heaters gonna have to heat the damn water anyway so all the efficiency calculations on these ignore the fact that no ones gonna turn that off)

they don't have a giant motor, but they do tend to have a pretty big heating element... the elements are starting to be more common on US units but since they start with hotter water (from the dedicated hot water connection) it needs a less beefy heater because it's just gotta boost the temp a bit....

also fwiw most us machines (at least for frontload washers) use either a 3 phase motor with a wound rotor, or a direct drive 3 phase motor with a permanent magnet rotor and a wound stator... both use an inverter board to rectify the 110V 1 phase into 3 phase and vary the frequency to control speed and spin direction....
>>
>>974907
>gas dryer
That sounds safe.
>>
>>974920
>>gas dryer
>That sounds safe.

They are. And they are very efficient.
>>
>>974907
From experience, a 100v electric kettle takes ~5 minutes from cold to boil, where a 230v kettle will do it in ~2 minutes (for the same volume of water and starting temperature E.g. tepid)

Likewise a 110v steam iron is a pathetic thing that barely produces more than a wisp of steam, where a 230v steam iron will strip the wallpaper from your walls if you use it in a small room with the door closed.
>>
>>974925
>that kerning

Hnnnnnggggggg
>>
>>968998
> Third-World avoidant communication style
>>
File: P(T) de Tomada.jpg (68KB, 735x472px) Image search: [Google]
P(T) de Tomada.jpg
68KB, 735x472px
>>967102
>>967102
> IRL Brazil has a wide array of plugs, voltages...

Gov't long struggle for implementing the Swiss thing here may result in that being just yet another type of outlet among so many. Such politic caused mocking, strong criticism (from both experts and common people) and even protests.

Also, that central hole is merely decorative since residential grid lacks earthing, and industry tries to evade producing three-prongs appliances because they know most outlets are still those older 2-holes types so it will hurt sales badly.
>>
>>974926
apparently the only reason the US and Britain have different electrical systems is that they wanted great electric tea kettles and well pressed clothes vs the US who got by with casual wear and drip coffee makers...

I wonder what the actual historical reasons are that led to each countries decisions...
>>
>>974980
Shit as it is, at least it's a standard. Future people will be thankful.
>>
>>974576
>2 phase 240
Split phase. Two phase is a thing, and what you have in your house is not it
>>
>>974918
I was referring to dryers in the US.
I can see how that could have easily been misunderstood since I was being autistically vague in my post at the time.
>>
File: Tomada Brasileira.jpg (35KB, 185x250px) Image search: [Google]
Tomada Brasileira.jpg
35KB, 185x250px
>>975066

Yet another "standard", both people and industry don't want to adhere.

That's why 3/4 of Brazilian outlets are still 2-pronged (pic related). Besides, our TRULY actual standard

> Is compatible with US, Japan and EU standards.
> Gleam in the dark to avoid people accidentally put their fingers inside holes at sleep time. Gleaming switchers also allow people to turn bedroom/bathroom lights quickly in at such time.

And there's that standard >>972902
if you really need to plug a 3-pronged appliance imported from US or EU.

Not to mention Brazilian standard (IEC60906-1, that no other country follows in spite of IEC pleads) isn't compatible with Swiss one (SEV1011): distance among holes are different.
>>
>>975133
Okay, I don't know in what dimension you are living but the industry had to adhere. Civil construction started (forced to) using the standard plug long before it went mainstream. Every appliance made or imported has to use the 3 schlong shlicker or the two pronged one.
It's a shit outlet but it's better than no standard, and stop defending the industry because they never made a standard one in a gentlemen's agreement or something of the like because they didn't cared either. Government didn't cared and that's why it took 20 years.

t. engineer, t. engineer with an architect dad who has to work with this stupid shit.
>>
reading about this on wikipedia

>In the UK, electric tools and portable lighting at construction sites are required to be fed from a centre-tapped system with only 55 V between live conductors and the earth. This system is used with 110 V equipment and therefore no neutral conductor is needed. The intention is to reduce the electrocution hazard that may exist when using electrical equipment at a wet or outdoor construction site. Portable isolating transformers that transform single-phase 230 V to this 110 V system are a common piece of construction equipment. Generator sets used for construction sites are equipped to supply it directly

wut? britfags plz explain
>>
>>975146

> I don't know in what dimension you are living but the industry had to adhere.
Industry "had to" adhere, but maybe it "has not to" adhere. President Dilma is trying to impose that fake-Swiss standard since her first tenure but her tenure is about to end as impeachment process is running right now. Under a new government we can go back to our TRULY actual standard (the 2-pronged one) since we don't really abandoned it.
>>
>>974980

Sign translation (from pic related): "This shit alone were enough by itself to justify an [President Dilma Rousseff] impeachment."

The red star compounding a word is the Partido dos Trabalhadores (Labor Party, Rousseff's Party) logo.
>>
>>966687
Nah this anon speak the truth. NEC is clear about this. It's not anger. Literally, 98% of US plug are wired upside down with the ground on the bottom, but fuckin niggers will cut you if you install one correctly.
>>
>>975009
>I wonder what the actual historical reasons are that led to each countries decisions...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity#History_of_voltage_and_frequency
>>
>>975157
>britfags plz explain

It's right there:

>The intention is to reduce the electrocution hazard that may exist when using electrical equipment at a wet or outdoor construction site.
>>
>>966697
If you step on it you die
>>
>>975493
>What is a GFCI
>>
>>966697
>come out too easily
That's not a flaw it's a feature.
I'd want the plug to come out if someone tripped over it because they were somewhere they shouldn't have been rather than drag (for me) several thousands of dollars of equipment to the ground.
Some autist did this to a lighting rig for a set-studio style shoot I was doing once. Cables were taped down so they didn't come out. Lost 3k in strobes and a few K in lenses too. The area was supposed to be restricted.

The grounded plugs tend to hold better however.
>>
>>975538
>GFCI on a construction site where tools may be used outside in wet conditions.
>GFCI relies on a common ground
>Outside
>Wet conditions

Sure, what is GFCI?
>>
>>975597
Really?
>>
>>975694
Really, yes. You need to think about how GFCI works a little more and how power is supplied on a worksite; you can't rely on there being a low impedance earth, for a start.
>>
>>975947
You obviously do not know how a gfci functions. It is code in north America to use gfcis on job sites because a current imbalance of 5ma (which is less than it takes to kill you) will trip the reset on the device. If the ground doesn't have a low enough impedance to flow 5ma, you aren't going to get hurt, if it does, the gfci trips
>>
>>972924
>debt

implying that will ever stop us from anything. im living fine, so i can careless how much in debt we are. America operates like the mafia, we collect what we are owned and tell countries that we owe shit to, to fuck off. would be way easier just to nuke the countries were in debt to, than pay.
>>
File: Frencstraulitish soclet.jpg (59KB, 570x368px) Image search: [Google]
Frencstraulitish soclet.jpg
59KB, 570x368px
>>966743
> I would pick France's recess, UK's pattern nd Australias switch

Hell no.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.