[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Walking Dead - Eugene’s Shop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 17

For those who might not be aware, this is a tv series about the zombie apocalypse and one of the characters plans to set up an ammo manufactory and to that end, plans to renovate the small shop shown in the following pics.
>>
File: S06E14-00003.jpg (209KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
S06E14-00003.jpg
209KB, 1280x738px
>>965503

My question; what’s the boxy machine in between the radial arm drill, the suspended cauldron and the bridgeport; a planer or a sheet metal brake or what?
>>
File: S06E14-00004.jpg (199KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
S06E14-00004.jpg
199KB, 1280x738px
>>965505
>>
>>965505
seems like a brake
>>
>>965505
so all they needed was the cauldron. something they could have just fabbed out of a car bonnet and suspended using scrap steel. to pour lead. could have just drilled out a mold for the slugs or cast a mold using existing slugs.
>>
File: 1423443041358.gif (274KB, 250x142px) Image search: [Google]
1423443041358.gif
274KB, 250x142px
>>965600

Bullet molds shouldn’t be too hard to find but if not and they had to make them, they’d need to be reamed as a drill wouldn’t hold a tight enough tolerance but that shouldn’t be an issue, as there’s probably plenty of tooling in the shop.

Can’t see them actually using that huge ass cauldron to melt lead but that's Hollywood and I’d guess the shop is going to be for general manufacturing and repair, in addition to making ammo.

But primers and powder are going to be the bottleneck in production.
>>
What are the odds all that old machine shop shit is 3 phase... even if not where would they get power anyway to use the machinery?
>>
>>965633
there has been discussion in the past that primers could be made out of the stuff that makes car airbags go bang.. I'd guess that's where they would take that. Powder, that's a whole different ballgame. they might take an adventure to some army/navy base and pick up large munitions like artillery shells and tank shells, and just use the power from those.

alternatively they could be making black powder cap and ball kinda stuff. as you can make caps with unstable powders such as flash powders. and black powder would be pretty simple aside from finding sulfur.
>>
File: Wheel_of_Pain.jpg (28KB, 425x336px) Image search: [Google]
Wheel_of_Pain.jpg
28KB, 425x336px
>>965633
>they had the trucks and capacity to move steel girders and corrugated iron to build fence
>they wont move the equipment
>they'd rather use the machine shop which is completely unsecured and makes a fuckton of noise

>havn't used earth moving equipment that they have just up the road to dig trench or agriculture
>fucking using a hand hoe instead of an earth mover

no idea why pipe rifles or pneumatic rifles havnt become a thing yet. not as good as military grade automatic rifles but would sure make a massive difference in terms of available firepower during a seige. also they havn't even started cutting down trees around the perimeter. first rule of a fort is do not have the treeline right next to your defensive barrier.

what makes me so super mad though is that they have that guy building a motorbike for no reason and it being a really unhelpful vehicle when he could have been making a mad max zombie plow, they're not collecting vehicles and scrapping them for parts or refurbing cars so that they're reliable instead of lol, oh well it's broken throw it away now and walk on foot. and they had that bitch making stupid owl sculptures instead of using her welding skills to build something useful. most of the residents are just sitting on their porches all day doing fucking nothing and eating precious food. even if they are shit fighters, there's no reason they can't be performing useful work.
>>965644
hand crank or generator the motors might be 3 phase but no rules saying you cant just disconnect those and have someone turning a giant wheel.
>>
>>965650
on principle of your first go around about tractors. one could find a tractor park it outside the building and fashion sorta a flat belt pulley system and connect it to the tractor. now it'd have to be sorta an older tractor that has one of the wheels to run the belt off of. but not that long ago, factories ran a lot of machines off of like a main pulley system.. was really cool. everything from lathes to mills, to sewing machines. that was up until electric motors could be produced cheap enough.

also the trees give some advantage in their case. as to of not of getting found out about. i'd say cut the trees far back enough tho to say if one was cut down and dropped onto the walls they couldn't use them to scale them. but cut them like waist high, so cars can't just freely drive through the trees either. I say their gate is what lacks the most protection. despite being guarded. one kill dozer could just rekt the whole place.
>>
>>965658
well the tank at the prison will wreck any place. it was fairly retarded.
>>
>>965660
well. you didn't even need a tank to drive through a chain link fence. a honda civic would of done that.
>>
File: catch fence.jpg (60KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
catch fence.jpg
60KB, 800x400px
>>965663
Chain-link fences can be surprisingly strong, provided their supports/posts are strong enough. They're basically steel nets.
>>
>>965650
>what makes me so super mad though is that they have that guy building a motorbike for no reason and it being a really unhelpful vehicle

At least 10 episodes have done the tree in the middle of the road plot and it still makes you mad?
>>
>>965684
to be fair, that would be a serious problem after years of no maintence
>>
File: r655549_4648257.jpg (34KB, 340x255px) Image search: [Google]
r655549_4648257.jpg
34KB, 340x255px
>>965684
they still dont have any high clearance vehicles which would make road repairs super easy and shit like a fallen tree not even an issue.
>>
File: reloading.jpg (513KB, 1024x1004px) Image search: [Google]
reloading.jpg
513KB, 1024x1004px
>>965646
> primers could be made out of the stuff that makes car airbags go bang

Seems like that would be harder to acquire then actual primers.

> pick up large munitions like artillery shells and tank shells, and just use the power from those.

There are all kinda different gun powders with all kinda different burn rates (and thus pressure ranges) and using the wrong one can blow up a firearm. Randomly using artillery powders with completely unknown burn rates is a recipe for disaster.

> alternatively they could be making black powder

This is do-able and usable in bolt-action and lever-action firearms but you can’t use black powder in gas operated firearms, (such as ARs and AKs) as it’ll immediately clog the shit out of the gas system.
>>
File: Home Machine Shop.png (3MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Home Machine Shop.png
3MB, 1440x1080px
>>965650
> they wont move the equipment

I’d say it’s a bigger hassle and less efficient to move all the machines and tooling to Alexandria (setting it all up where?) then to fortify the town / shop and keep everything where it is.

> no idea why pipe rifles or pneumatic rifles havnt become a thing yet.

They’re roughly 3.5 years into the zombiepocalypse, so there will still be literally tons of guns and ammo all over the place, it just needs to be scrounged up.

But I could maybe see making pneumatic artillery to take out any vehicles attacking the town.

> what makes me so super mad though is that they have that guy building a motorbike for no reason

A motorcycle is far more fuel efficient then a car or truck and they’re useful for scouting, though I’d suggest bicycles would have become a prime scrounging item.
>>
>>965821

>JET everywhere

better be a steep discount for that
>>
File: chainlink fencing.jpg (253KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
chainlink fencing.jpg
253KB, 900x600px
>>965676
> Chain-link fences can be surprisingly strong, provided their supports/posts are strong enough. They're basically steel nets.

Indeed, the idea that a zombie horde could knock down even a generic suburban backyard chainlink fence is ridiculous, as regardless of how many there might be, they force they can put against the fence isn’t cumulative; only the first couple rows of zombies are pushing against it, the ones in the back are just milling around doing nothing.
>>
>>965822

For a home hobbyist set-up, Chinese stuff is fine but if one is actually planning on going into business, a real bridgeport and other machines are required.
>>
>>965825
gas tight metal to metal seals for example.
>>
Can I chill with you guys when this shit actually happens?
>>
File: miniature Bridgeport mill.jpg (103KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
miniature Bridgeport mill.jpg
103KB, 800x600px
>>965831

Back in the day when I did machining for several years, I only used American made Bridgeport bridgeports, so I’m not familiar with JET brand tools but I don’t think they’re so shitty that one couldn’t use it to make a steam engine and such? We’re not talking Fisher-Price here.
>>
>>965833

I think most cucks on here would die. not a good idea.
>>
>>965835
its probably more to do with needing more maintenance. when chinks make shit according to spec they are like the devils ironic wish fulfillment. any cost cutting measures they can make they will hide. bearings, cast quality ect.
>>
File: 51c0b1dfce395fd874000000.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
51c0b1dfce395fd874000000.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
>>965833
>Can I chill with you guys when this shit actually happens?

If you've got useful skills and aren't a retard, then... maybe.
>>
>>965816
Iirc, cannon powder (basically all large munitions) is pretty slow powder, slower than rifle, and WAY slower than pistol powder. It might be possible to work up a load that wouldn't wreck small arms, but it would be a very small, weak one. Now on the other hand, if they HAD a cannon...
>>
If the people in the Walking Dead were smart, they would raid a library to figure out what the fuck to do if the fucking apocalypse happens.
>>
File: Primers.png (409KB, 616x804px) Image search: [Google]
Primers.png
409KB, 616x804px
For all your post-apocalyptic ammunition production needs(or just your own edification) I recommend Ammunition Making by George Frost.

It has really great sections on primers and bullet/case drawing. BUT the section on powders is frankly shit if you wanted to make them yourself.
>>
>>965844

>using gloves with a rotating machine
>>
A spanish man wants to be black https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZkkVqRAlKE&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>965505
>>
>>965676
>>
>>967670
I thought it was a good look for her...Fatty.
>>
>>965824
Actually myth busters did a thing on this.
It was like maybe 40-50 ppl if that can down a huge ass gate / wall.

You forget a large mass in motion can bend / break shit easy AF
>>
>>965825
>a real bridgeport
You do know that not even bridgeport makes manual milling machines anymore, right?
they just make the heads; the rest is contracted out to a Taiwan company.... like, where Jet is made....

The first-world metalworking industry kinda abandoned building NEW manual mills and lathes roughly 20 - 30 years ago.
For a hobbyist, if you want full-size manual machines you only have two choices now: used (possibly worn/damaged) and new-from-China (or thereabouts).
>>
>>965833
Id plan on shooting myself so you can have my gun after
>>
Some things to note:
Most the tools needed for reloaded can be found commonly in hunting stores and shit, and you might get lucky and get them. Plus in the episode with rick, michonne, and carl they go back to their old town and meet that black dude from the first season he had a reloading setup in his little on top bungalow.

Now after the specific shit you need is found heres some concepts to think about.
1. lead for bullet casting? I would say wherever takes xrays usually has a lot of lead around either in beds, vests, or disposable foils, otherwise old car wheel weights
2.casings. Besides picking up old spent brass they should raid any military installation with a range, or old gunshop ranges or public shooting areas
3. primers. Their fucked unless they walking dead magic them. Even if say you found primers out and about the fact its over such a long period of time exposed to nature in whatever store means there probably gonna go bad, especially with southern humidity
4. same with powder, unless they make muskets

If they make muskets i would just send that shit to the hill people for more food and let them get chopped up a bit by the saviors
>>
>>969520
>1. lead for bullet casting? I would say wherever takes xrays usually has a lot of lead around either in beds, vests, or disposable foils, otherwise old car wheel weights

Fishing weights. They're everywhere.
>>
>>969627

They don't even need bullets. Considering every episode they walk around with pocket knives dispatching undead in t-shirts, I'd first point them towards the technology of long pointy sticks and long sleeved flannel. Seriously, da fuck is with that?
>>
>>968977
love that episode!
>>
>>969641
the hilltop folks had a blacksmith/forge operating already...
>>
>>968977
mythbusters also had an episode where Adam made a suit of "armor" out of Rubbermaid plastic garbage cans. cut them up then stitched the pieces together (kinda like ancient japanese armor)
never understood why they would not have made something like this to wear to avoid getting bitten or scratched. of course won't protect against bullets from other human bad guys. if they had more police/SWAT armor vests & helmets etc like Glenn had at the prison, that would be good also.
>>
File: under here.jpg (275KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
under here.jpg
275KB, 1024x768px
just hide under the dumpster
>>
>primers
What about percussion caps from toy guns?
>>
>>969683
I've seen them tear a mans arm clean off. somehow they are impossibly strong like chimps. even if they cant bite they can tear you apart
>>
>>969683
Pieces or rubber tires (from cars, motorcycles,atvs, small tractors, etc.) would be good too.
If you could find something to actually cut them out to the right size and shape pieces and be able to fasten it all together.
>>
>>965658
Modern tractors have power take-off shafts. Same principal but much better.
>>
>>970142
>Modern tractors have power take-off shafts. Same principal but much better.

PTOs are as old as engines.
>>
File: 1378157333702.jpg (499KB, 1412x2308px) Image search: [Google]
1378157333702.jpg
499KB, 1412x2308px
>>969520
Actually, you can reuse primers, but you have to improvise the charge, which is tricky.
>>
>>965650
Yea, show is fucking retarded. We know.

They kill hundreds of not zombies and then like 3 will kill a character.
>>
>>965503
God, everything I ever hear about this tv show makes me glad I stopped watching after only 3 episodes.

>>968977
>myth busters

Yet another shit show.
>>
>>971829
>mythbusters
>shit
Fuck you.
>>
>>971861
Mythbusters is shit. Most of the shit they say can't be done, can be done. Most of the shit they say can be done, can only be done very specifically. Most of the time they are just monkeys running around banging on shit they literally have no concept of they feel pleased when they, "bust the myth".

Only fucking plebs watch that shit continually to feel better about themselves being stupid.
>>
>>971950
>Most of the shit they say can't be done, can be done.
>Most of the shit
>Most
really?
>>
>>971950
Oh shit you're legitimately retarded. Sorry friendo.

>The only things that bothered me when I watched it was when they proved drafting behind a big rig drastically improved fuel economy but called it busted because it was "too dangerous", and when they said the third rail pissacution was impossible due to the piss stream turning into droplets instead of a stream, when their sample piss stream was a sober guy. Everyone knows when you're drunk off of beer you try to murder the urinal/toilet by blasting it with piss.

Show was extremely good, and while not 100% accurate, I challenge you to find one that does something similar.
>>
They need to make pipe bombs.

No more aiming for the head.

Also they need to learn to drive stick.
>>
>>970123
Yes they are strong but have very weak skulls
>>
>>965505
its a mechanical press so what ever dies you have it will cut, bend, punch, crimp but is limited to thinner gauge sheet metal for some things
>>
>>972795
Out of all the bullshit on the show, Darryl not knowing how to drive stick pissed me off the most.
>>
>>973147
I know right?
>comes from poor as fuck Appalachia
>can ride old manual motorbike
>can build entire bike from scratch
>only ever learnt to drive his mums prius
>>
>>965503
Making bullets before making explosives. Lol.

Why aren't they focusing on making armor for their vehicles?

If they made armored vehicles from which they could use a simple method of launching explosives, they would have no problems.

Sharp objects for the zombies. Armored vehicles and explosives for enemies.. and that's about all they need.

If they get that down, then surely they can just relocate an ammunications factory and relocate their base there?
>>
>>965821
>series takes place in 'murica
>no one in the series has ever mentioned a reloading rig

That reeks of bad writing
>>
>>973206
>reloading rig
yeah it's pretty ridiculous that they didnt get the idea to raid any firing range which would certainly have one. even survivors raiding the place for ammo wouldnt just hang around for a few days reloading ammo. apparently they need a whole machine shop when a stocked firing range would keep them set for years.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.