[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My sewer vent and cleanout failed inspection. The notice just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: attached fix.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
attached fix.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
My sewer vent and cleanout failed inspection. The notice just says "Raise vent & properly cap cleanout" with an extra page attached showing a diagram of how to attach extensions to broken pipes.

I would just do that and forget about it, but my vent and cleanout are both flush with a sidewalk.

Anyone deal with this before?
>>
File: actual vent & co.jpg (948KB, 2912x1471px) Image search: [Google]
actual vent & co.jpg
948KB, 2912x1471px
>>960208
Here's the little buggers. From what I have found so far, they don't want rainwater going into the vent and putting strain on the sanitary sewer system. The cleanout in the diagram appears to need to be 3-4" above ground for whatever reason, but the cap itself also seems off. That bolt sticks up from sidewalk about an inch.
>>
>>960211
>>960208
Ive never seen these before. What country are you in?
>>
>>960423
US. Thanks for responding!

That makes two of us. We usually have these on the roof, but this is ground level. I've seen some posts about people having these in their yard and later having sewer issues, no one mentions it poking through their side walk.

I'm hard up for ideas at this point.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Got a pic with the cover off. I hoped there would be threading, but it's smooth. Does a coupling exist to attach to this?
>>
You will most likely have to abandon the existing vent and cleanout and construct a new one elsewhere - lawn? I doubt very much that you will be able to get anything to fit on that.

If the sewer is deep, this is gonna mean $$$
>>
Could you not just do the repair like they said, raise the thing up high, but with screwable components?

Then when it passes you just take them off again
>>
>>960561
This is a zoning issue or something with your local city. You need to call sewer and water about this bullshit. The sidewalk is public property and maintained by the city. It should have been moved when they put the sidewalk in but they half assed it. Get a property lawyer.
>>
>>960211
What do you have going on with the cleanout? It looks like you have a rubberized plug where you need a threaded one
>>
>>960871
gonna have to agree

I don't know why they would have put a sidewalk around an existing vent....they should have either shifted the sidewalk or moved the pipes

either way the city is likely going to be involved; personally, I think they should be the ones to pay for it....if it wasn't or no longer up to code, they need to be responsible for that
>>
>>960937
I'd jam a four foot piece of PVC into the fucker and cap it off with an old umbrella and duct tape.

Then in order to tell you that you have to take it down, they'd have to admit that they own the sidewalk and that the cleanout is now on their property and their problem.
>>
>>960211
is this around a pool? Having those stick up sounds dangerous around a pool
>>
>>960937
>>961016
>>961540
Unfortunately the sidewalk is in the back yard, right next to the house.

>>961574
There was a pool right next to the sidewalk, but it was filled in a few years ago. I definitely cringe imagining having that wing nut lodging in my foot while using the pool.
>>
>>961013
Yeah its a cheap shitty plastic cap with rubber gasket. When trying to unscrew it to see if there were threads, the remaining with snapped off and now the whole threaded rod or whatever it is rotates and makes the cap losses but it does not come off.
>>
>>961864
so the sidewalk is a private one or a city one?
>>
>>961864
oh shit, didn't even notice the wingnut, just saw the pool cover anchor. So they put a pool in, plumbing and all, and didn't think to move those pipes while they had a massive hole dug already?
>>
>>961870
It's private. The Township has an easement to allow them authority to look out for their utilities, but apparently they have a "vaselineasment" to hold me accountable.
>>
>>961876
I think it was because of a really tight fit. The yard is small, and after looking at some old Google Earth pics, it looks like the pool covered the entire back yard. The side walk is flush with the house and the edge of the pool.
>>
File: image.jpg (700KB, 1373x1833px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
700KB, 1373x1833px
>>961885
To the left is a concrete patio. The 2 French doors were added on later, so there would probably not have been a reason to have a sidewalk when the vent was installed (1952). I think it was an afterthought when the pool was put in (1987).
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 768x768px
>sidewalk
>sidewalk
>sidewalk
>sidewalk

>>961892
>side walk

Inb4 concrete patio
>>
>>960208
looks like the cleanout should be easy, although you may need to drill it out or something re the cracked bolt?
The vent though, you have to bump out.

I am tempted to suggest a niggerrig solution of epoxying then caulking a 3-4in long section of coupling or pipe to the top of the existing cover.

Alternatively, go the other way, ignore the current setup and just glue a pipe with a flange in the hole in the center. as long as it's watertight and you don't mind the puddle, meh.
>>
>>961881
well that makes things a little easier

verses digging down and linking a new pipe, I'd use a masonry saw or a grinder with a wet blade to cut around them, chisel it out, then link the extension like the original pic shows
>>
>>960208
City will claim right of way were your vents are in public property and will be your problem.
But in reality like other comments stated they have assed it. Before the sidewalk was put there or their not fluent in English.

They should had moved the drain and vent. Go to your local public works in person not over phone and speak to the big head in charge of the whole public works. And say you failed inspection because of the drain and vent been flushed.
>>
>>962063
Simple becareful city can come back and bitch that you have now created a trip hazard in the sidewalk. Hence am guessing that's why it's flushed to begin with.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.