[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3-Axis CNC Inspiration?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: cnc.jpg (22KB, 569x295px) Image search: [Google]
cnc.jpg
22KB, 569x295px
At work we just got a 3-axis CNC machine. I'm just making some flat parts on it now, but, I'd like to get creative. What are good places to get inspired or get new ideas?

Also any tips for new CNC operators/programmers? I just got trained and I'm a bit scared. Seems like a lot going on.
>>
>>952818
There aint shit going on.
Get some software, draw some shit, cut some shit, sell some shit.

What is attached to it?
Mill, plasma, laser, fiber, o2?
>>
>>952823
I have Alphacam and getting the hang of that. It's a bit overwhelming with all the different bits and such. What bit to use where.

I was thinking of trying to do some mitre joints on it with a onion skin on the bottom. So then I could make a box by just folding up the sides (using PVC as the material).

I'm mostly cutting HDPE, PVC and plywood.

>What is attached to it?
Oh sorry, it's a router. Actually pic in the OP is basically the machine. It's a 12x5 table (145x61").
>>
Sorry if I'm hijacking a bit, but figured there's no need to make a separate CNC thread.

Was thinking of graduating from simple electronics/uC DIY into something more physical.
Figured getting myself a CNC would be a good stepping stone into making other stuff.

Anyone could point me in the right direction for good DIY CNC resources? Google seems to give me some dubious hits.
And how much would I be looking at? I'm fine DIY'ing mostly everything, though I've never done anything similar.
>>
>>953960
No worries m8, I wish there was more CNC activity here :/

No suggestions as I've never done a DIY one but there does seem to be a large hobbyist community
>>
>>953960
You can maybe build a cnc for £1000, that will do a meter by a meter, depending on what you are putting on it?
Country you in?
To buy them preemade you pay a lot more, like 5, 6 times more.

I have a good contact in the UK
>>
>>953974
Used to see a lot more CNC threads and a CNC general. But I wasn't interested in it at the time so didn't bother reading up.

>>953975
>Country
Lithuania. The country where asking for seemingly simple basic materials will get you weird stares at hardware stores.

Not really interested in premades. Both because of the price and fun factor.

£1000 is a lot more than I'm prepared to spend on right now unfortunately, since I'm not planning on making income with it. Not immediately at least.
Guessing the positioning and work motors are over half of the total cost?
>>
>>954064
Yes most of the cost is the motors, sever, computers, bearings/rails and then there's just the frame.
I just cant be arsed with the building of one and setting up the software, blar blar.
I think I told him "just bring it to my house and show me how it works." 1400x900mm cutting area for £4000 that's including the plasma, water bed and software.
He said if I can't get the plasma to do engraving he will show me how to set up a router.
>>
123make - free

sketchchair - free

Both designed to work with cnc routers
>>
>>954252
Forgot opendesk
>>
>>954235
Not looking for anything that fancy. Just something that can handle wood, maybe plastics. And PCBs. Definately PCBs.
Aluminum would be a bonus but I'm not even sure I'd be able to get sheets here anyway.

So, anyone got a good resource for diy cnc?
>>
What kind of MDF do you guys use for spoilboard?

My manufacturer states 35 - 40 lb/ft^3 density, but I can only find 32 or like 45. Trupan Ultralight is 32 and I heard its a good brand, but, it is 3 under the minimum.

How does the density affect the spoilboard performance?
>>
>>954408

The harder, the better, really. You don't want your spoilboard to be soft because it has a tendency to compress slightly and throw your tolerances off.

That being said, if you're using an MDF spoilboard, odds are good you're not doing anything where that matters. For 2D routing work, you could use damp newspaper and it would still come out fine.

Minus the soggy wood, of course.
>>
>>954433
Thanks, I'm going to try the Trupan Ultralight. I have such big vacuum pumps don't think the extra porosity will matter and it is pretty close to the 35 spec.
>>
Anyone run a muffler on their vacuum pump? Would that lower the performance of the vacuum pump at all?
>>
Guess cnc is out of fashion in /diy/. Would still appreciate someone dropping some good resources on diy cnc. Google results aren't particularly useful.
>>
>>956556
Do you want ideas or an actual kinda instruct-able?
I have seen dxf files that you can just cut out and bolt together.
>>
>>956556
>>956740
It's to early in the morning to care, and it's caturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGYKe11JUVo

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCDIYCNCMachineTypes.htm

http://www.lirtex.com/robotics/diy-cnc-machine

https://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx/

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Three-Axis-CNC-Machine-Cheaply-and-/

You can buy pretty much most things from shops, I've never done it because I can't stand precision and building, and electrics. That's why i'm paying for one.
>>
>>956740
I want knowledge. Dos and don'ts, materials, motor choices, build types.
And most importantly the drive assemblies (or what you call them) since I've never done any of that.
Basically more of a textbook resource than a 'how to build'.

>>956741
Thanks, though I'm looking more of a knowledge base than simple step by step instructions.
>>
>>956925
They are pretty much best you are going to get, I have done a lot of research and a £3000 build for 1400x900 cut area is fucking good.

It depends what you want to do with it?
What do you want to cut, make?

If you are going to use a laser or plasma cutter, then don't use wood, also you need speed so pinion is better than ball screw, but you get better detail with ball screw down to 0.001 detail if you going to be engraving wood, metal.

Ball screw will be the cheaper option.

Now decide what you want to use it for and we will advise. MDF or perspex will be the cheapest build meterial and you can find dxf files with blueprints, but you need a cnc to cut them out, or a company will charge you maybe £50 if you surply your own wood/plastic. When it comes to motors, fuck knows, server, fuck knows; I hate electronics.
>>
>>956929
>what you want to use it for
Will use it for other projects that need any kind of precision cutouts or just decorations.
Mostly wood, some plastic. Aluminum would be nice but not my goal and probably wouldn't bother with it anyway.
Definitely engraving.

>laser or plasma cutter
No laser or plasma. Not until I know exactly what I'm doing and why.

>0.001 detail
Won't the flex from the frame be a bigger issue than raw positioning at that point?

>Ball screw will be the cheaper option.
Cheaper options are preferable.

>need a cnc to cut them out
Finding a CNC might be an issue around here. Most companies don't like dealing with small private orders. If I fail finding anything, considering just half assing the build and then using it to cut more proper parts to rebuild it.

> I hate electronics.
Electronics part isn't bothering me outside of what motors are good enough for what.

Almost all of these DIY printers use a dremel or similar. One would think using something more industrial would be more efficient and possibly cheaper.
>>
>>956981
If you look/google hard enough you will find a company that will cut out what you want for a reasonable price.
If you have tools, mainly a jigsaw and you know how to use it, you could just print out paper templates and cut them out from wood/plastic.

Wood
Ball screw / bearings
motors
server
shit laptop with mach3
A GOOD router, this should be the most expensive thing, a good cuter with a good piece and keep it sharp.

Good luck, https://buildyourcnc.com/default.aspx/
you can get it all here, let us know how it goes.

Country you in?
>>
>>956984
>server
Server? Not sure what you mean.

>shit laptop with mach3
Advantage over using a microcontroller or raspberry? Or am I missing something?
Says laptops aren't supported for interfacing via the parallel port without an "external motion device" whatever that is (stepper controller I assume).

>A GOOD router
No idea how to pick one.

>Country you in?
Lithuania. So shipping anything from outside EU is going to be problematic and pricey.

>let us know how it goes
Will do, though it will be a while since I'm swamped with work and studies right now. Plenty of time to do my planning and ordering though.
>>
>>956981
flex in the frame should be fairly minimal if you're cutting wood and plastic, may become an issue with ally. one of the advantages of ballscrews over pinions in terms of accuracy is their very low backlash (unless you have some sort of master/slave arrangement)
>>
>>956984
>Ball screw
By the way, did you mean an actual ball screw or just a cheap threaded rod?
Because for the former, I wouldn't call the price low.
>>
>>957073
Yeah sorry, threaded rod. A lot cheaper than racks and pinions.

>>956997
Server - I don't know what I mean computer-server-motors is this not how it works? Fuck knows.

shit laptop - You need something with a screen to run mach3, again electronics aint my thing, but mach3 can run on 3.1 with a gig of ram, all you need is a usb going to "the server". This is how my guy explained it while showing me his setup.

Router - Black and Decker, silverline, dewalt, trend, good names basicly not a router that costs £20, bare in mind you have to fit it to you cnc and the different tool bits you will want/need. I dont know to much about this as I plan to only cut and engrave metal, and i've seen metal engraved with a plasma cutter if you get the setting right.

Lithuania - Don't come to England you euro land hugging scum.
But seriously, stay the fuck away.

Life is not short, unless you die young.
>>
>>957256
>Server - I don't know what I mean computer-server-motors is this not how it works? Fuck knows.
>all you need is a usb going to "the server"
Oh, the controller.

>Don't come to England
Thanks for the invite. I'll make sure to take your job while at it.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.