[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portable Shed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

Hey so I'm thinking about building a portable shed (basically just putting wheels on it to avoid taxes) and was wondering about trying to do a thin concrete floor. I was going to go for a 2"-4" layer but didn't know if that sounded like a bad idea or if there may be any unknown complications in trying. In case it make a difference I was going to do a 6'X8' floor. Thanks in advance.
>>
Id be concerned with the weight on the casters if you actually intend to roll it around.
>>
What's wrong with timber?
>>
You could tile it i think.like the floor in some enclosed trailers.it would give you the same benefit without all the weight.
>>
>>950740
Bad idea. Concrete wil crack. Use Wood. Also you need a dampstop to prevent moist from the underside.
>>
You could tile it i think.like the floor in some enclosed trailers.it would give you the same benefit without all the weight and provide aesthetic options.
>>
I wanted concrete for the durability.
>>
>>950755
Youd make it less durable by adding extra weight on the floor joists.Just use wood dude.works for billions of tool sheds.
>>
>>950749
Second this. You're talking over 1100 lbs. for a 4" 6x8 floor. Be ready for some engineering if you actually intend it to move without towing it. Wheels will have to be retractable, etc. PT 2x material with a painted steel chassis would work better.
>>
>>950783
Wow, sorry! Off by a factor of 2, over 2200 lbs for 4" 6x8 floor. Long day...
>>
File: concretedeckblock.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
concretedeckblock.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
Yeah a "thin" concrete floor will end up with more cracks than a Brooklyn street corner, anything reasonable will weigh literally a ton. If you intend to just have this as storage in your backyard and not try to haul it all over the country then just build it on a level gravel pad and some 4x4 PT skids, as your pic shows. Same thing i did for my 10'X12' shed and its still considered "non-permanent" for tax reasons. Anything without a concrete foundation or piers works, i think even these dumbass deck blocks would work as non-permanent structure, but i wouldn't be positive (pic related)
>>
And just to add, those prebuilt shed kits they have set up in big box store parking lots are a fucking rip off if you have the ability to frame a simple floor, wall and gable roof without it collapsing. I built a comparable shed with material from the same store and it cost around $400 dollars less, and had 2x6 floor joists and rafters vs. 2x4 everything, and plywood subfloor, and roof decking vs OSB. Slap some T-111 siding and paint that shit barn red with white trim or sheath it and vinyl siding.
>>
>>950740
Where do you live that you pay taxes on a shed?
>>
>>952324
Not OP but in Pa most townships will add any permanent structure larger than 8x10 to the improvement section of your tax assessment.
>>
>>952324
check your LOCAL codes
>>
>>951999
Somewhat related:

Those sheds sitting there can be helpful for people who can't entirely grok the way structures are put together. They are minimally watched and you can freely poke around, measure things, take pictures of the way the roof is built, etc.
>>
>>952488

Yeah, I'd agree with that being their only use, just make sure to tell the sales guy to fuck off when he tries to sell you one. Take the design, trim, roof style, size, anything you want, then you can copy it and build it beefier for cheaper with a simple book on framing and a couple hours worth of Youtube videos.
>>
>>950755
You can epoxy over plywood.. Hell throw some fiberglass fibers in and give yourself a super strong epoxy finish.
>>
>>952946
> You can epoxy over plywood..

Fun fact: many parts of fiberglass boats are exactly that. Fiber glass over plywood. Stringers, transom, deck, etc.
>>
>>950740
>don't want to pay tax on shed
>add wheel
>have to register, insure, tax and have shed inspected for road-worthiness.
will it even fit in your garage op?
>>
>>952947
I use to repair and maintain boats... Lol I know. Ive seen some shit.. Hence my mentioning of the way.

Holy shit someone pays "9,000" to redeck their boats topside with 'marine grade paint' when all it is. Is two part epoxy some size sorted beach sand. And pigment. Makes me cringe.. Same shit they would use indoors for your homes and stuff. The boat world is such a shit place only for elites with too much money. Fucking 2 grand for a 30 year old 50hp motor. Because 'boats' lmao
>>
>>950755
>I wanted concrete for the durability.
It doesn't work like you think it works. Use timber.
>>
>>950740
>if you want it to be portable and sturdy and don't need to move it regularly I suggest an empty cargo container
Buy an empty 20 ft. container and use it as the "base". Old containers cost several hundred bucks and the new ones few thousand. You can DIY your own shelves and workbenches there and build better floors/walls and sloped roof. As long as you don't fuck with the base you can lift it up with a truck with a side lift meant for cargo containers.

>if you want something which has its own wheels and meant to be towed by a vehicle
Well, regulations and laws step in. You can make one yourself but without spending top dollar to get it inspected and approved by officials you may get fined and/or jailed if you actually tow it with a vehicle on public streets and highways.
>>
>>952957

I spent a couple years on the water as well.

Everything is x3 price because "MUREEN GRADE".

I myself had no issue with cost as I repaired everything myself until it came to spare parts for the steering and engines. Then came the yamaha tax.

Them Enduro engines are nice tho.
>>
File: PICT7497[1].jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
PICT7497[1].jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>>952957
I made a custom laminate of oak on fiberglass on plywood on more fiber glass on steel.

I was not ammused
>>
>>954403
How fast is she?
>>
>>950755
It would break should it ever buckle, concrete only has compressive strength.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 500x375px
What about using Ferrocement it holds up well for boats.
>>
>>952949
>>have to register, insure, tax and have shed inspected for road-worthiness.
>will it even fit in your garage op?

If it never leaves the property, none of that is an issue. And insurance? Road inspection? What shitty state do you live in?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.