[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can /diy/ recommend a good space heater? /adv/ is worthless.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

File: Untitled.jpg (154KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
154KB, 1280x720px
can /diy/ recommend a good space heater?

/adv/ is worthless.
>>
Lmgtfy
>>
Dearborn
>>
>>942768
>heater too close to bed
>wire protection guard removed from heater

I have one of those. But, I'd never use it in an unventilated space.
>>
>Duraflame 5,200-BTU Infrared Quartz Cabinet Electric Space Heater with Thermostat

I got one of these from blowes on sale a few months ago. I'm saving a few hundo a month on gas and only spending about 15 extra bucks on electric from the summer but still saving about a hundred on that as well.
>>
File: 611768089093lg.jpg (12KB, 276x276px) Image search: [Google]
611768089093lg.jpg
12KB, 276x276px
>>942784
It's pretty sexy looking too.
>>
>>942784

How often do you run it?
>>
>>942784
How... Dafuq natural gas where I live is dirt cheap compared to electricity...
>>
>>942789
All night and most of the day. It auto shuts off when it gets too hot or when it reaches your set temperature. It's got a little remote too for when I get too hot in the middle of the night.
>>
>>942795
My house is drafty as fuck so heating up just the bedroom with the heater and the majority of the rest of the house with my gas fireplace while leaving rooms I never go into closed works quite well.
>>
>>942799

what country do you live in?
>>
>>942801
Burgerland
>>
>>942804

midwest?
>>
>>942784

I'm going to take your word and get one.

Better not be rusing me
>>
>>942808
Nevada but in the mountains so it's bretty cold and snowy up here most months.

>>942810
There's one for about a hundred bucks that works just as well but heats up a smaller space depending on what you need/budget if you can't find the first one on sale.
>>
>>942812
>There's one for about a hundred bucks that works just as well but heats up a smaller space depending on what you need/budget if you can't find the first one on sale.

Is it this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Duraflame-1500-Watt-Electric-Infrared-Quartz-Heater-with-Drawer-Cherry-10HET6493-C221/204308425
>>
>>942814
Nah it's

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Duraflame-5-200-BTU-Infrared-Quartz-Cabinet-Electric-Space-Heater-with-Thermostat/999918322

Couldn't find the same one on the home depot site.
>>
>>942799
try fixing your house
>>
>Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
>>
>>944338

LOL
>>
File: image.jpg (119KB, 702x1053px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119KB, 702x1053px
>>942784
>>942785
>>942810
>>942814
>>942817
That price is WAY too high. Here's a +5000 BTU heater as well from Walmart for $35. I use it in my 20'x15' insulated garage while I'm working and it keeps me nice and warm.
>>
>>944515
>forgot link

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-Electric-Tower-Quartz-Heater-Sun-Like-Radiant-Heat-SQH310-WM1-115/21668956
>>
File: IMG_20160210_141542200.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160210_141542200.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
Hello /diy/, this is the only heat source in my new house. what knob i have to turn to controllo it? if i turn too much they fucking come away
>>
>>944553
*control
fucking phone
>>
Don't my neighbor's house burned down because of one, they lost their 5 month old child and dog. My neighbor, her husband and their other two kids had to be treated for burns and inhaling smoke. Literally the house was turned to nothing, then sold behind their backs by the owner and built over
>>
Get an extra blanket on your bed, a hoodie to wear around the house plus some nice slippers.
>>
>>944571
Or you could just not be a fuckwit and put flammable materials next to an ignition source.

Put it on a table where it's not going to be knocked over, don't put it on carpet or close to your bed linen, FFS.

Bonus points for getting one with tip over and over heat protection.
>>
Mine bitcoin or some shit. Cheaper heating essentially.
>>
>>944630
Fuck off kike
>>
>>944516

>Good
>Wal-mart

pick only one
>>
>>942768
Get a big dog, Mastiff or a Malamute is a good choice, body temperature of about 101.5, will keep you warm all night, and will protect your house and stuff, great early warning device as well
Get a really fat girlfriend, all that insulation will keep the bed warm at night, fat people radiate heat, plus she can cook, clean, provide friendship and sex, if your lucky she will even have a good job and pay the bills
Do what I did, two Malamutes and a fat chick, warm all night long
>>
File: image.jpg (436KB, 1242x1656px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
436KB, 1242x1656px
>>944902
Yep keeps me nice and warm, pic related.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>944902
>>944919
Here's my garage with the insulated doors. That 5000 BTU heater can warm my whole garage to just about room temperature, pretty comfortable. If you want a room this size to heat up more you'd need two, but same goes for those +$100 heaters those other guys posted since they were also only 5000 BTU. Expensive doesn't always mean better. Those are just fancy looking, but at the end of the day 5000 BTU is 5000 BTU.
>>
>>944922

There's more to it than just BTU output. When it comes to emery efficiency and reliability, they are all not equal
>>
File: dl380g5_front_to.jpg (77KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dl380g5_front_to.jpg
77KB, 800x600px
I just use one of these running F@H
nice and toasty
>>
>>945428

piss off
>>
i just bought one of those dyna-glo propane powered torpedo heaters, a 70k-125k BTU model for $160 on craigslist.

it consumes 16lbs of propane (a 20 lb propane tank) in about 4 hours on the low setting, it heats my draft shitty garage to like 50 degrees in half an hour and keeps it there as long as i need it to.

if you have an insulated garage you can get away with just a 5000 or 7500 watt electric heater which puts out between 17,000 and 23,000 BTUs, but they need 240v 20amp or 30amp circuits which require special wiring
>>
>>946794
>realizing this thread is more about pussy shit under 10,000 btu
nevermind then carry on
>>
>>946792
He isn't joking though. Electronics dissipate all of the energy that they use as heat. If you are considering electric heating, you might as well do something useful with the electricity and get the same amount of heat. The only bad thing is the space requirements.
>>
I frequently use a 15,000 btu radiant propane heater in closed garage/cabin. I wouldn't sleep with it burning, but after 10ish hours of working in the spaces I don't feel dizzy. Lasts a long time on a 20lbs tank, like 24+ hours on low and maybe 16 on high.
They do have a sensor that will shut them off if low O2 is detected (thus preventing CO buildup) so maybe you can sleep with it? You'd have to trust that the sensor is working properly.
>>
>>946907
Unfortunately you got it wrong. CO is so dangerous because it sticks to haemoglobin 250 times more efficiently than O2. So even a relatively low amount of CO is fatal. Even in normoxic conditions, meaning approximately 21% oxygen. CO is lethal even in hyperoxic conditions like scuba diving, as the partial pressure of CO rises and it competes O2 from haemoglobin and kills you.
Note that hypoxia gives no warning! The need to breathe is triggered by CO2 buildup, so low oxygen just makes you faint (and later die) without warning.

But if there is enough oxygen for the flame to consume then it will burn to CO2. If you burn your warmer in an enclosed place consider a device that alerts of high levels of CO.
>>
>>946913
The oxygen depletion sensor shuts off the heater before the oxygen level in the room is low enough for the heater to generate dangerous amounts of CO. Assuming there is no damage or malfunction to the heater.
>>
>>944338
LOL heres my favorite Meme joke ever
>>
I can't remember why, but I've wanted to collect antique space heaters for a while and hook them all up to one on switch. Like a big red lever you see in movies.
>>
>>944737
>being safe is being jewish
What the fuck?
>>
>>944628
This, I went a winter with no heat.
Some days a fairly steady 15-20 degrees all day long. I bought an insulated dickies coverall and ended up never wearing it because it was too hot.
Having a girlfriend close, and dog at the foot of the bed helps too.
>>
>>944628
> Having a girlfriend close, and dog at the foot of the bed helps too.

Why did you say the same thing twice?
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.