[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a mechanical gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_6346.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6346.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I have build many mechanical guns in my early life, all of them with LEGOs and so far they all have worked wonderfully, the only problems I experienced were caused by rubber bands breaking or the shock of the mechanism slowly loosening the pieces.
I want to know what Materials are the best and what should I expect for this project.
Since I have only made complicated builds in LEGO I may be following a similar building system for now.
>>
The image I uploaded is a 1:20 build in balsa wood to show the general looks I am looking for
>>
Steel is best.
Rifled barrel really helps.
>>
>>933168
Steel is my dream goal, however I would prefer something cheaper and easier to work with for the prototypes.
Also, do you think that a Rifled barrel will help for a subsonic projectile? This protect may be just a glorified crossow
>>
>>933178
Then make a crossbow
>>
>>933178
Yes. The slower a round goes the more rifling it needs to stay ballistic (to a point of course).
>>
>>933168
Steel for the moving parts is a thing that I should consider from the beginning, spetially the internals of the trigger
>>
>>933178
For subsonic projectiles you really need to go high caliber to maintain armor penetration. The VKS is an example of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VKS_sniper_rifle
>>
>>933179
For what I am seeing that is the only viable option, since keeping the string internal will have a great price in power. Now the only important issue I need to resolve is to balance Power and the manual loading mechanism.
>To put this project simple: Pump-Action Crossbow.
>>
File: Un_F Sample.png (16KB, 899x832px) Image search: [Google]
Un_F Sample.png
16KB, 899x832px
Here is a very raw diagram of the internals of the crossbow. Some comments on the trigger mechanism are welcome
>>
>>933260
is that a FAMAS?
>>
>>933146

If I was you, I'd just hit up ebay for some .22 LR parts and start cooking with canola
>>
>>933288
I was more into the STa-52
>>
FUCK

YES

HELLGHAN SUPREME
>>
>>933480
I remember playing Kill Zone with my cousin, I would be a dick to him and always select Hellghan for me and ISA for him, I said that it was all by chance. Poor soul, his first time playing videogames.

>And for the build
Anyone know how to make the bow low profile? There are ways to make a crossbow look nice, but it is easier if the bow is low profile to begin with
>>
>>933146
What you using for ammo?
Buy a plastic tube as a barrel, cut the top open to avoid air pressure.
>>
>>933739
I am not worried about air pressure, there will be a small cut along the barrel to let the bow string go trough it. And for ammo, I could use wooden sticks, .7 to 1 cm thick and 4 to 5 cm feels alright to me, I could also use ink or anesthetic cartridges
>>
File: Un_F Sample2.png (30KB, 1052x832px) Image search: [Google]
Un_F Sample2.png
30KB, 1052x832px
Here are more details
>>
Your MSpaint schematics are really unintuitive to understand. Any chance you're going to show us sketchup screenshots, or whatever CAD program you're using?
>>
>>933805
Hahahahaha
No, maybe later, once I get the proportions right
>>
>>933749
Oooh glue matchstick heads to the back of the ammo for some special effects.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.