[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello fellas, I built this "workbench" today from a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 11

File: Untitled1.jpg (576KB, 1465x973px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.jpg
576KB, 1465x973px
Hello fellas, I built this "workbench" today from a couple pallets and liked the result, but it's kinda flimsy and I'm thinking of ways to reinforce it (It doesn't need to be pretty). I'm not into woodworking, that's why it may look amateurish.

Any advice or tips?
>>
File: 1452483046226.jpg (584KB, 1465x973px) Image search: [Google]
1452483046226.jpg
584KB, 1465x973px
>>928293
Cross bracing anon. Strap of timber across the side, one on the back (drawn on the front for clarity), this should sort you out for now.
>>
File: 1452483046226.jpg (589KB, 1465x973px) Image search: [Google]
1452483046226.jpg
589KB, 1465x973px
>>928293
You need to brace as pictured to remove wobble.

I don't know how you're going to do that with pallets you're going to have to get creative. My table is made from 2x4's so design and bracing is super simple.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (580KB, 1465x973px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
580KB, 1465x973px
>>928296
My plan was to use 2x4's, but everything in my country is very expensive and I was not willing to pay a lot of money for a simple workbench.

I have already nailed a board on the lower side (pic related), but ill try your suggestion. Thanks.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (69KB, 1037x710px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
69KB, 1037x710px
>>928296
Also you need to understand the principle behind bulk modulus. You always orient material so that the thickest part is in line with the predicted forces.
>>
>>928294
this will be more stable than >>928296, especially if you anchor as depicted. The second image does nothing to stop the legs flexing around, while the first will lock the leg at ground level. Or just do both I guess, but I'd be cross bracing alone.
>>
File: IMG_2819.jpg (480KB, 1704x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2819.jpg
480KB, 1704x1278px
>>928299
Cross bracing only works if it's a full cross or if you have a closed square or rectangle, and his legs are open at the bottom lengthwise.

My design works if you do it right, my work/computer table is built this way and it's solid as fuck.
>>
>>928301
cute lamp

is that a semi-stripped factory made thing or is it diy-ed out of whatever you had at hand?
>>
>>928316
Factory made with the shade missing. The glare is annoying as hell, but I'm too stubborn to do anything about it.
>>
>>928297
>simple work bench
>I don't want to pay for it

Why not just work on the floor then? A work bench isn't just a simple, smoke em if you got em type thing. It's the focal point of your work, why wouldn't you want to at least have something half decent?
>>
>>928338
I didn't say it's useless, it's the opposite of that. It's a very simple build though and I don't see why anyone shouldn't be able make a very decent one for almost free.

As I mentioned, stuff where I live (Brazil) is very expensive and I would rather spend money on tools and other things I can't make myself.
>>
>>928298
Oh, and grain.

Pieces where the grain goes "===========" are strong, pieces where the grain goes "||||||||||||||||||||||||||||" are bendy and snappy.
>>
>>928297
Also add a board across the bottom of the back of it. keeping the legs a set spacing apart will help with stability.
I think the main problem is it is hard to firmly attach end grain to side grain. Adding some short cross braces or even just blocks of wood to the corners so you can attach into the side grain from both directions will help quite a bit.
Screws are better than nails because they will snug up the wood, although toenailing can work for a while, nails will always work their way out.
and given the stresses that most workbenches have put on them, ideally you want the joints to be mechanically strong, relying on the wood rather than the strength of (really fairly tiny comparatively) small pieces of metal and the wood they will cut themselves free from over time.
>>
why the fuck don't people ever do 20 minutes of reading and looking at time tested designs before fabricating a crude table from 2x4's?

making a basic jointing jig is within anyone's capabilities.

just... do it right. god. its not that hard.

op, you should have literally just purchased a full stack of plywood, and put it down on the floor, to use as a desk. no assembly required.
>>
>>928850
Can you read? Or at least identify a 2x4? Those are boards salvaged from pallets and thats the simplest and most effective way I found to use the material I had in hand. Of course, if I had a couple more boards at the time the design would have been different and sturdier, but I didn't have.
>>
>>928876
Still could of designed it better, even with just pallets.
>>
>>928954
Im all ears
>>
File: help1.png (1MB, 878x629px) Image search: [Google]
help1.png
1MB, 878x629px
This is an advice from a product designer (so you know, I don't do the math, I just make 'em pretty).
I'd reinforce it like this.
Hope it helps.

Well done upcycling stuff, cheers to that.
Though wood is biodegradable, plastic isn't. I'm not in a hate relationship with plastic.
>>
>>928294
That is useful when its a cross. Fixing one diagonal leaving the other, I'm afraid doesn't serve much. What do you think?
>>
>>928296
That looks very good.
I'd fix those board on the outside of the table work plate (idk how you call it)
>>
>>929100
Not that guy, but a single diagonal brace on each side will be sufficient to provide rigidity to the unit. Triangles, my good man, do not deform within their plane.
>>
File: help2.png (900KB, 777x508px) Image search: [Google]
help2.png
900KB, 777x508px
>>929116
But you only fix one triangle at a time, I'm afraid.
>>
File: 20160106_215937.jpg (4MB, 5046x2839px) Image search: [Google]
20160106_215937.jpg
4MB, 5046x2839px
>>928293
Try my design. I can send you plans if you email me. I have like $30 in materials in it...

Jeffro1265 gmail
>>
>>929305
Good work!!!
>>
>>929305
Now that's a cozy shop.
>>
File: 20151228_200332-1.jpg (3MB, 2981x1677px) Image search: [Google]
20151228_200332-1.jpg
3MB, 2981x1677px
>>929316
Thanks. It's a work in progress yet. We just moved into this place. Here is a before pic
>>
>Workbench
>Pallets
Is your whole shop in a shipping container? Or I miss the most DIY thread of the year?
>>
>>929305
How can a garage be so clean? I've spent around 20-30 hours cleaning my garage and it is still a disaster.
>>
>>929299
I have no idea what you're saying here. I can read the words, but they don't make sense to me. Sorry.
>>
>>929561
That's because it's my basement.
>>
>>929561

I don't see how one can be so incapable.

That is 3 working days. There is probably an issue with your process or you really and truly just need to git gud
>>
>>929561
my garage is a disaster as well but I'm in a rented property so I'm not putting any money into it, floors is unleveled flags and there's major structural damp.

It really needs damp proofing and a radiator and dehumidifier installing to keep all the tools from rusting but cant really afford anything like that so im currently using my attic to store tools and the basement as a workbench/work area.

when i move out of this place i want a proper garage and proper work space, my house will be /DIY/ as fuck
>>
>>929604
The trick is to remove everything. As quickly as possible. Then put stuff back in that you want. Then trash whats left over.
>>
File: triangles.png (6KB, 311x214px) Image search: [Google]
triangles.png
6KB, 311x214px
>>929567
he's saying that you will not end up with two triangles, you will end up with a triangle and an angle
pic
>>
>>930029
Try to avoid the "resources paradox" ("when I get that thing, i'll be able to do that other thing"), I used to do it all the time. I have around 15 m2 of work space in my shop with uneven floors, rotten walls that can't hold a screw, shitty electrical and shitty plumbing. I used to hate that fucking place, but when first tried to improve it I was easier than i thought and there's nothing better than to do something well and see you're making progress.
>>
>>928760
I love this response.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.