[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How could you make your own inflatable mattress, cushions, etc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

How could you make your own inflatable mattress, cushions, etc and have them last a long time with actual use?

Make a styrofoam mold and surround it with carbon fiber and PVA? Would unstarched fiberglass be better? Use gasoline to remove the styrofoam?

There has to be an easy way to do it.
>>
>>918919
It'd be easier to make a non-inflatable one.
>>
>>918938

I was looking at boat plans, and I was thinking very sturdy, long lasting inflatable mattresses would be just the ticket. Lightweight and very multipurpose. You could use it as a raft in the water, a bed in the ship, emergency lifesavers, and whatever pillows, cushions, and mattresses were left would be a slight deterrent against sinking... lol

A method to make ridiculously strong and long lasting inflatable items would be very useful in marine applications.

Plus, the industry NEEDS a way to make inflatable products stronger and more durable. I've never seen an inflatable thing last longer than a week or two with regular use. Not even mattresses.

So, how could it be done?
>>
>>918919
Unfortunately, making it sturdier also means increasing cost or increasing weight. Making it stronger is easy, you just make it thicker with the same materials or you use completely different materials that are far stronger yet far more expensive.

Nano materials are probably the next big thing for this type of use.
>>
File: Capture.png (296KB, 498x654px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
296KB, 498x654px
>>918948
>Plus, the industry NEEDS a way to make inflatable products stronger and more durable. I've never seen an inflatable thing last longer than a week or two with regular use. Not even mattresses.

Stop buying the cheapest shit on the market then you broke motherfucker. I have a 3 meter zodiac sitting in my backyard that is 12 years old, the only time it sprung a leak is when one of my dickhead friends caught a fishing hook into it. Same can be said for my Coleman air mattress. 6 years old, used at least three times a year, no leaks as of yet.

> So, how could it be done?
It's already been done.

Also, wtf captcha
>>
>>918954

Oh so you've used an air mattress like 18 times and it hasn't failed? What if you used it every day for a year?

Inflatable objects just aren't durable at all, dude
>>
>>919141
They do make durable air mattresses but they're not cheap.

Look for one with much thicker vinyl and double welded seams. Then set them on a clean platform with a small amount of cushion.
>>
Want durable? Use appropriate foam, not a pneumatic bladder.

Alternate option, buy commercial tractor or large ag equipment inner tubes then cut and vulcanize that material into the shape you desire. That's too much work so no one bothers but it will be plenty tough. If you check with a tire shop they may have some large used tubes you can get cheap.

The only reason to want an inflatable mattress is to deflate it for transport then inflate it onsite. I don't find that solution efficient so like millions of people over thousands of years, I sleep in a hammock. No pressure points, minimal footprint, easy to clean, very light weight, and when I go camping or travelling I can sleep as I do at home. I use a Texsport steel hammock stand at home but hammocks are a very DIY hobby and hammock forums can get you started. Dirt fucking cheap if you like.

All designs are tradeoffs. A lightweight, flexible air mattress won't be of thick or tough material. A heavyweight version negates many advantages of inflation.
>>
>>919198

If it's twice as heavy but lasts ten times longer, it's a better investment even if it costs five times as much.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.