[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY sensory deprivation tanks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (49KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 636x358px
Sup 'chaners
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the states.

I want to ask about building a cost effective float tank. I'm talking about more than just a plastic tub, but something with temp control for water and good air while sealing out light.

I have a small budget, so it doesn't have to be ghetto-craft, but I'm hoping to build something sound proof. So what do you say DIY? Anyone one here ever try this?
>>
Farm supplies have suitable tubs and spa suppliers have the rest.

Hit the catalogs and type up a build sheet. Don't forget Ebay because a lot of gear goes cheap there.
>>
File: image.jpg (294KB, 2009x1115px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
294KB, 2009x1115px
I was looking to start with a tub like this, wrapped in insulation foam on the outside, but I really don't know anything about wiring a heating unit for a pool of water, or reappropriating a proper water pump for it. Any pointers?
>>
>>733423
Aren't these the corpse containers FEMA uses?
>>
>>733423
>>733375
Surround the perimeter with small aquarium heaters? You fill it with water that is already warm, and then only need to prevent it from getting cool.
>>
>>733438
... in fact, a large aquarium could probably do the whole thing. Heaters, filters, circulation, the works. The only trick is to keep the human occupant from kicking the equipment around, since they are much bigger than a fish.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 483x447px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 483x447px
>>733438
Some guys who later made a float tank kickstarter had a DIY one that he covered in insulation bubble wrap to maintain the temp. The idea is that your body adjusts to the temp, which holds the same, and the Epsom salt in the water keeps you floating, and then you're only aware of your heartbeat and breathing. So water purity and temp are important.
>>
>>733441
Has anyone considered something with a human standing upright?
>>
>>733375
Does this really only work when in water? Why not just construct the most elastically-cushy hammock in the universe?
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 308x296px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 308x296px
>>733444
You'd be experiencing the sense of touch, not weightlessness.
>>733443
I've seen some made like that and I'm skeptical about how that would help you with everything I've mentioned above. Some early pic prototypes for the standup tank.
>>
>>733443
It's difficult to breathe if you're standing in water for long time.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 500x376px
>>733443
It might have worked for Luke Skywalker on Hoth, but this looks less fun than relaxing, laying in salt water.
>>
File: easy.jpg (390KB, 1930x1336px) Image search: [Google]
easy.jpg
390KB, 1930x1336px
this contraption presumably is for fapping
>>
>>733473
Meditation, my friend.
>>
you an get polyethylene agricultural tanks that are big enough, and aren't expensive. $1000-$1500 or so.
you'd need them maybe 4 x 8 feet, and deep enough that you could have ~18 inches of salt water and still have room to climb in and out. so, maybe 3-4 feet tall?
the tanks are enclosed but they have an access hatch. or you could cut a bigger door if you wanted. you would be cutting holes for the heater and filter anyway.

you would need hundreds of watts to keep the thing warm at least. forget the aquarium heaters, each of them is like 10 or 15 watts.

also it ends up heavy. the tank has 800+ lbs of water in it, and then you mix in another 1500-2000 lbs of salt.

being soundproof is not that critical, since your ears are underwater anyway. and if you can afford to play with projects like this you probably have a house that is generally quiet to begin with.
>>
>>733440
Whatever you used when abducting them would probably do the trick.
>>
>>733375
Have you tried like, sitting down and not giving a fuck?
It's a lot cheaper than all this fancy shit you're on about.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (72KB, 1000x564px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
72KB, 1000x564px
I'm severely claustrophobic because I was stuck at an elevator for like an hour when I was 6.

The idea of this makes me shiver.

Anyone got any ideas how to effectively deal with this? All I read on the net is bla bla get an expensive therapy bla bla professionals.
>>
>>733577
Stick yerself in a small space and fucking deal with it?
Just my two cents.
>>
>>733577
Exposure therapy, which you can do on your own for free. The key is to go about it gradually.
>>
File: Caving Is Fun.jpg (2MB, 3136x2184px) Image search: [Google]
Caving Is Fun.jpg
2MB, 3136x2184px
>>733577
>All I read on the net is bla bla get an expensive therapy bla bla professionals.

That's pretty much it. Were you thinking you could do some sort of dance in the woods and cure yourself?
>>
File: HELP.png (216KB, 655x349px) Image search: [Google]
HELP.png
216KB, 655x349px
>>733577
>Anyone got any ideas how to effectively deal with this?
This is an emergency escape plan...just in case.
>>
>>733568
>>733584
>>733605
>>733640
>4chan, full of useful advice.
>>733577
>I'm severely claustrophobic because I was stuck at an elevator for like an hour
Have you tried hypnosis?
It worked on my parents.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 413x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 413x358px
So I need to find a tank that can hold 10 inches of water, and a heating element to keep the water at a perfect 94 degrees: skin temperature. Any ideas hat sort of heating element I should search for?
>>
>>733818
I'm just throwing ideas out there but maybe something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AHB-Electric-EASY-HEAT-Water-Pipe-Freeze-Proof-Heated-Cable-Tape-PICK-SIZE-/141271958833?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item20e4770531

and then this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-All-Purpose-STC-1000-Digital-Temperature-Control-Controller-with-Sensor-110V-/281368781200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4182e2e190
>>
how do you not fall asleep
>>
>>733818
Protip: Find a hot tub for free on CL and use the heater and pump from that. Just clean them first...

As was said before look at agricultural supplied for a suitable tank. You can find these for free sometimes in rural areas from farmers. Again, wash it first.

I'd also build an enclosure for the tank. Simplest would be a 2x4 and plywood enclosure. Then you can also surround it with polystyrene insulation to keep heating costs down.

Finally for a roof, simply attach some heavy duty hinges to a sheet of 1/2" ply and cover the bottom with mylar to help reflect heat. You might also want to add some sort of lift assist.
>>
any thoughts on what the effects of a pemf device would bring to the table...?
>>
So... I'm not sure I get it. Is it just time to be alone and silent? There is a place that does this in Nashville, but it's fucking pricey.

Honestly, I think unless I got stoned first I wouldn't really enjoy it. I'd probably just get freaked out by my surroundings.
>>
>>733886
it works on the principle that our realities are mirrors of our inner selves and that what we think, feel, and want will be reflected back faster when one becomes still.
>>
>>733876
I don't have any pelf experiences to speak of. Care to share?
http://www.pemft.net/
>>
>>733886
I think the idea is to deprive your brain of any outside stimulus. Since your brain is so used to having stimulus, it starts making up its own when its not getting any.

So in essence, you start tripping balls as your brain makes up shit.
>>
>>733948
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeqmKwsvM58
>>
>>733926
I have only used them for sleep therapy. They basically make it a lot easier to wake up and get started in the morning; because they pass emp through the body. They have tremendous health benefits. All across the board.
>>
>>733842
Fear of drowning? Otherwise, they probably do fall asleep.
>>
>>734040
The lack of breathing usually wakes you up. Also the amount of salt dissolved keeps you floating.

I used one once when I received a gift certificate for a meditation studio in a raffle. I'm not super into meditation or anything so I just went in and listened to music for a half hour.

It was super relaxing. Their main purpose is to make meditation easier. People also go in them stoned sometimes according to the guy working there. Some people use them for health reasons because it simulates a "womb" like state. I just think it was cool. I'd definitely use one but they charge a lot for the sessions and I live in a third story walk up. Plus I don't want to spend a grand or so on something that the novelty will wear off in a month.
>>
File: image.jpg (190KB, 546x1265px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190KB, 546x1265px
Can anyone point me to a basic guide to plumbing a water heater & water pump? I want to try to build on of these. Pic related.
>>
>>734239
Sure.

https://www.google.com/
>>
>>734286
Thanks! I found everything I needed on that link you sent. You sure are a bro.

http://www.thedeepself.org/2011/02/version-2a/
>>
>>733443

If you watch the definitive movie on the subject, Altered States, you'll see both variants
>>
>>733926
>http://www.pemft.net/
*click*
wtf is this bullshit...
i need the thisiswhatamericansactuallybelieve.jpg
>>
Posting some content for those who are interested.

http://www.federaljack.com/ebooks/Consciousness%20Books%20Collection/John%20C%20Lilly%20-%20The%20Deep%20Self.pdf
>>
>>734550
It was adopted in western Europe first. Just saying.
Also,
>tri-quarter
It's tricorder wtf
>>
>>733375

if u live in us

https://www.google.pl/search?q=coffins+in+atlanta&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=965&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=eMN8VJjXBoXOaM7qgYAP&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

go steal one - here ya go
>>
>>733375
my question is how people fell asleep and dont drown in it
>>
>>735171
Eh, If you're floating then even asleep your face'll be out of the water. When I used to work long shifts I sometimes fell asleep in the bath and as soon as you move, e.g. your hand drops in the water, or your start slipping under, you wake up. The only thing with high salt content is don't go on your front if you're weak, you may not be able to flip yourself back over and then you'll drown. At least that's what they say about the dead sea.
>>
>>735212

i dont think youre entirely right what if you wont wake up and choke on water?
>>
>>735212
well, its usually only 10 inches deep
>>
>>735272
Probably not a good idea but I would assume water on the face/choking would wake you up if it came to it. Wouldn't do it drunk/high though.
>>735275
Yeah shouldn't be a problem in a tank
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.