[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Products that last forever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 24

File: IMG_20141113_131419.jpg (465KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141113_131419.jpg
465KB, 2560x1920px
DIY means fixing and making things yourself, stepping away from the consumerism and throw shit away when it stops working.
What I want to know is some product lines that you only have to buy once, and properly maintained will last forever:

straight razors
Mag-lite
Imco-Lighter
Sidchrome
Yaesu
Opinel carbon steel knives number 8
nintendo gameboys
french knifes
swiss army knifes
Leatherman
Tornister "Affe"

What Brands do you find that last?

I know, there has been a thread about that already but I thought: that has been years ago.. so let's revive it once more.
Also I am not the OP from last time.. but who cares?
>>
>counts broken n bust maglites..

- in fairness, they used to be near-indestructible, think what they sell nowadays is cheap crap running on rest-brand fumes. Either that, or there is one HELL of a lot of Chinese knockoffs doing the rounds.
>>
>>726091
i am sorry to hear that..
>>
>>726089
Nothing lasts forever, OP
and we both know hearts can change...
>>
Ernest Wright scissors are good for when crafty stuff starts happening.
Doc Martens tend to last longer than you will have use for them.
You can offload a lot of cash on Estwing hammers but I never got one to date and their axes are distinctly average.
>>
This is as close to forever as automobiles get
>>
>>726089
Buy and use antiques. Just about anything you can find that is an antique has 1, already gone through the test of time and can still function, and 2 is made of easily fixable parts or is really fucking durable.

I worked for an antique place for a few years. I spent all the money I made in that place.

>all these angry posts

Just hide the thread and move on.

>>726203
>4chan must have changed.

No, it is just some guy that skipped breakfast or something.
>>
>>726089
>properly maitained will last forever
>maglight
>lighters
>knives
>gameboy

Sure, everything lasts forever if you extend "properly maintained" to mean "when bits break they get replaced with new ones". This is my grandfather's lighter, it's just had a new lid, hinge, wheel, rivets, flints, wadding and wick.
>>
>>726089
Straight razors are horrible, though. A decent safety razor and disposable blades are a better bet...and you still save shitloads of money. Also, like any other knife an be sharpened down to not being functional.

Mag-lites are HORRIBLE flashlight by modern standards, and they, too, require consumable batteries. I have one that's two years old that won't stay on, it only outputs 15 lumens, and it cranks through batteries like mad....Any NUMBER of other products are superior in every way.

Imco's leak. Liquid gas lighters are universally shit unless you have an o-ring sealed cap.

No clue on Sidchrome or Yaesu

Opinels are fantastic, but hardly immortal..the locking mechanism wears out over time until they are dangerous to use.

First gen gameboys are KNOWN for their screens failing.

French "knives" are just as variable in build quality as any other countries.

Swiss army knives are great, if they were made more than fifteen years ago. Those made after that are of a much lower quality.

Leatherman...yeah, ok, fair point.
There is no such thing as an "immortal" product. There are some products that last longer than others, but even with normal wear, EVERYTHING will break down in time.
>>
>>726089
Maglites are utter shit. They were better than the wretched flashlights typical of ancient times, but they eat leper anus by modern standards.

Streamlight make some outstanding rechargeable LED lights. That's all I buy now and they are cheaper by far than Maglights because they last longer and don't fail nearly as often.
>>
File: 11-07-Rusty-VW-Beetle-H.jpg (286KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
11-07-Rusty-VW-Beetle-H.jpg
286KB, 1000x667px
>>726210
wut
>>
>>726220
*axe
it's had two new handles and three new heads
>>
File: fluke.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fluke.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
/thread
>>
File: 1600cc_beetle_engine.jpg (98KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1600cc_beetle_engine.jpg
98KB, 800x450px
>>726089
>straight razors
I don't get people's fascination with these on this website. My electric razor has only lasted 5 years with zero signs of slowing. How long do you need $30 to last you? Before you say it, in case of an apocalypse I ain't worried about fucking shaving.

>nintendo gameboys
>maintainable
I doubt you own the equipment to properly "maintain" a gameboy.

>>726210
Mercs are nice but >>726301
I daily drive a 70s beetle. That engine has a chance at outliving me.
>>
>>726335
Straight razors and safety razors give a closer shave than a cartridge. And as for myself, I don't get a big dumb breakout on my face the next day, with the added benefit that I can buy a shit ton of blades for next to nothing. A typical cartridge lasts me like 1.5 shaves because I've got thick beard hair.
>>
>>726336
The day I found out how close of a shave I could get with an electric razor was the last time I ever used a normal razor. I can even drive down the highway shaving with out risking my life.
>>
File: MillersFalls1.jpg (22KB, 485x323px) Image search: [Google]
MillersFalls1.jpg
22KB, 485x323px
>>
>>726210
That car is a huge piece of garbage. I had a friend who had one, broke down constantly. Then my brother was going to buy one, I told him not to. Well, he did anyway and that one too was a hunk of junk. Like every week it needed some stupid new part.

My two votes:
1980's Nissan and Toyota pick-ups.
1980's Stihl forestry chain saws
>>
File: DSCN2236b.jpg (4MB, 7296x5472px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2236b.jpg
4MB, 7296x5472px
>safety razor
>straight razor
>disposable razor
>electric razor

This is what I use. You can get them very cheaply on eBay with lots of different blades. solid construction, never fails, lasts indefinitely.
>>
File: transit.jpg (14KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
transit.jpg
14KB, 300x225px
>>726340
maybe more of a eurofag, but if you're talking classic DIYer utility vehicles, there is and can be only one, true classic..

Stihl is indeed a top shout though, respect, and all.
>>
>>726348
I don't think we had those here in the states.
I think our classic DIYer vehicle is probably the VW bus/ van. Not that they're super reliable, probably just average, but easy to work on and forgiving.
>>
>>726342
is that a can openner?
>>
File: 81iS1f-JIcL._SL1500_.jpg (118KB, 783x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81iS1f-JIcL._SL1500_.jpg
118KB, 783x1500px
>>726324
> not glorious 87
>>
>>726089
Never had a mag-lite that lasted over a year; almost every single one had batteries blow up in them. My goto flashlight is a angle head with a LED installed.
>>
Kirby vacuum cleaners. I use a 50-year old hand-me-down, parents each have 20-year-old models and all still work flawlessly.

Straight razors. Cast iron skillet.
>>
>>726360
Hand powered shaver. Patented in the 1920s.
>>
>>726351
>>726348
So neither of you have heard of Jeeps I take it?
>>
File: 2014-04-26 19.10.14.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2014-04-26 19.10.14.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>726089

Honda 350 Scrambler. With regular maintenance, this thing will run forever...
>>
>>726342
that's a trimmer. Not a razor. useful, but...not a close shave.
>>
>>726437
>Jeep

Fuck me in the ass those are so not reliable. Rugged, yeah, but if something goes wrong, you're fucked. Every person I know with a jeep spends more time under it than in it.
>>
>>726342
Fun fact, that company came up with the AWG scale.
>>
File: Willyjeep01[1].jpg (622KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Willyjeep01[1].jpg
622KB, 2048x1536px
>>726453
Nah brah. Not a Jeep brand vehicle, which these days are made by Chrysler and are hunks of shit, but a real Jeep. A CJ series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_CJ
>>
>>726473
>CJ
>not a willy
>>
>>726483
Uhh, that pic *IS* is a Willys Jeep. Its a Willys CJ-3B.
>>
>>726486
>>726473
>>726348
>>726335
>>726301
>>726210

Offroad, either Willy CJ or older Jeep Cherokees with the 4.0l inline 6 AMC.

Passenger car, either a Volvo 240 series or Saab 99 or 900 (Classic 900, not the newer GM bullshit). All three have been known to go over a million miles with nothing but regular maintenance.

Does anyone know of a refillable liquid fuel (Like a zippo or imco) lighter that is sealed so the fuel doesn't evaporate when you're not using it?
>>
>>726337
For whatever reason, I find I get a better shave with the cheap travel razors electric I keep in my car than the $100 electric razors I have at home.
>>
>>726493
Imco lighters leak slightly less.
Peanut lighters have actual seals but look dumb.
>>
>>726493
My XJ is a sweetheart. Lovin the AMC inline 6. One of the best auto engines ever made. Being monocoques, what'll kill em is the cancer.
>>
>>726450
>close shave.

No such thing, unless you have schoolboy peach fuzz.
>>
>>726493
>older Jeep Cherokees
What years are you talking?
>>
>>726453
My dad had an 88 american motors jeep pickup, that thing was damn reliable. At nearly 300k miles, it still started up and ran like new
>>
Unimog. I have read the service manual for one of the older ones, it's like these things just don't accept being beyond repair.
No wonder even >40 year old rusted and dented ones are still going for so many shekels. It's not that they are rare and coveted oldtimers, they are just still so damn useful.
>>
File: image.jpg (130KB, 1024x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 1024x450px
>>726089
/thread
>>
>>726550
Wat
>>
File: LEGO-UNIMOG[1].jpg (132KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
LEGO-UNIMOG[1].jpg
132KB, 800x600px
>>726594
You should see their all plastic Unimogs. Guaranteed not to rust.
>>
>>726594
My hippie uncle lives in one of those.
Very reliable, he drives all over the place doing handyman shit out of it.

>>726550
Learn to shave better. I can go from full lumberjack to baby's ass in 15 minutes tops.
>>
>>726440

So will pretty much any Honda motor in the last 25 years left 100% stock.
>>
>>726688
>I can go from full lumberjack to baby's ass in 15 minutes tops.

You're either full of shit or have a face that is one curve (i.e. a fat ass)
>>
>>726688
>Learn to shave better. I can go from full lumberjack to baby's ass in 15 minutes tops.

And 15 minutes later you can get 300 grit sandpaper level quality on any wood you rub across your face. Not worth. Just use trimmers.
>>
>>726706
Nah.
I'm just not retarded.
>>
>>726566
The jeep cherokees used the AMC 4.0 inline 6 up until the end of its run in 2001. There were some slight problems with the casting on the intake manifold in the 2000 and early 2001's between the 3 and 4 cylinder, after they changed it slightly to accommodate for the distributorless ignition coil pack on the passenger side. Not sure about grand cherokees... Think they might have always used inferior V6 engine. New revamped cherokee line has V block motor. There are new castings available for the 2000-2001 cherokees, heat buildup around middle cylinders which occasionally causes a crack also overheats cyl 3 fuel injector and possibly fuel rail, giving misfire codes. Fix is wrapping injectors and fuel rail with high temp tubing. All in all, great engine, excellent torque and very well harmonically balanced. Very hard to kill, unless you seriously mistreat it.
>>
>>726091
don't maglites still use bulbs, tho?
not exactly efficient
>>
File: whatchoo-willis[1].jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
whatchoo-willis[1].jpg
28KB, 300x300px
>>726483
Its not Willy or Willy's, Its Willys. The Y is pronounced like an I. So like pronounced like Willis but spelled with a Y.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrjLVSapII
>>
>>726493
Based anon.
I received the family's 240gl Volvo and it's still running like a charm, only issue is that one of the windows has fallen off the tracks but no biggy.
>>
Zippo lighters

Cast iron cookware
>>
>>726244
Pretty much this.

>Any decently build flashlight + rechargables
>Disposable lighters are cheaper and more practical
>First gen gameboys can be emulated on anything, with a whole lot better screen
>>
>>726400
True. We have a Kirby from the 90s. Excellent vacuum
>>
>>726193

some things will end up rusting
in cold November Rain
>>
>>726897
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-IVWCEW4KA
>>
>>726493

Volvo 240 series for sure, motors anyway. I learned to drift in a 244, until I killed the rear end on a curb (and still drove it for a couple of months after that), then drove an `81 245 I got for $75 for several years until the frame literally collapsed on the ground. I kept up with a 4L Jeep Wrangler in that (his engine was stronger, but I could shift faster ;) ). I never had any fear of a mechanical breakdown in either of those cars.
>>
File: Can-Openers.jpg (41KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
Can-Openers.jpg
41KB, 432x288px
these god damn things, most durable piece of shit I've ever had the luxury of putting up with using

>>726866
lighters are never that durable, but it's mostly due to abuse from being in pockets and shit.

>>726604
dear god yes
I've seen someone get beaten with one, and after we put the keys back in it worked great still
didnt even get cracks in it and that guy got hit hard.
>>
>>726952
Please tell the story of how the keyboard beatup happened
>>
File: 20140221_152032.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20140221_152032.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>726324
>>726361
i found a 30 year old fluke stuffed away at work when we were cleaning out to move office.

breddy gud
>>
>>726493

just my two cents but any manual transmission fleet truck will work fine forever too
>>
File: keyboard-face-o[1].gif (2MB, 320x134px) Image search: [Google]
keyboard-face-o[1].gif
2MB, 320x134px
>>726966
>>
>>726089
>French knives
Lagiole. My father bought one and it lasted 20 years and only gave in to rust, which could have been avoided.
>>
>>726992
And the two I've got my hands on, has been utter shit that, when folded, would have the blade-edge resting on the spring thus dulling all hopes of ever carrying a sharp blade.
>>
>>726967
People are still using those old flukes like the Fluke 8060A or Fluke 10

my only problem with flukes is that the battery connectors are a bit shit also the fuses are specialy made and are
expensive
>>
File: FBAK6KUGC4G97RO.LARGE.jpg (72KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
FBAK6KUGC4G97RO.LARGE.jpg
72KB, 1024x768px
>maglight

Pft

http://www.instructables.com/id/Gas-pipe-flash-light/?ALLSTEPS

The only things it really needs is some thread tape and something to seal the LEDs. Then it can be water proof. I really want to make one of these things.
>>
>>727033
AFAIK all serious multimeters use HRC fuses, it's a safety measure to make sure the circuit breaks even if you feed it a huge amount of power. The 11A fuse used by Fluke has a rated breaking capacity of 20kA AC, which would make an ordinary glass fuse explode or arc.
>>
>>726361
>>726324
>>726967
>digital

Meh.

I prefer the old analog stuff. My Micronta 22-214 still works really well and has lasted for 35-40 years of use (inherited it). On the other hand, I'm on my 4th digital clamp meter. Though my current digital clamp meter is a Harbor Freight Tools one that has outlasted even the Flukes. Don't know how that is possible though. lol

The only problem I ever had with the Micronta 22-214 is when I absentmindedly hooked it up incorrectly and blew the fuse. Easy fix obviously.
>>
>>726340
I bet it wasn't a diesel...
>>
>>726926
>>Never have fear of mechanical break down, >>frame catastrophically fails.
so reliable brah.
>>
>>726089
>not mentioning zippo
>>
>>727218
It wasn't a catastrophic failure, it was going slowly for over six months before I sold it as a parts car for about a $150. It was still drivable but not really safe anymore.
>>
>>727067
Wait a minute...
You're telling me, not only did you kill 3 clamp meters... but at least one of them was a fluke ?
What kind of retarded shit can you possibly be doing to do that ?
I've tried a 30 amp rated meter on a 200 amp circuit and it just went in overload protection.
You're not... like... measuring CatIV stuff with a cheap ass meter... are you ?

>digital
I have two 87v so I'm biased but I also have an agilent u1253b and for some stupid reason it makes the cutest sounds I've ever heard.
I like to show it to people and I've yet to find someone who didn't find it cute.
I'll make a vid because it's just worth showing..
>>
>>727248
>mentioning zippo

might as well mention craftsman
>>
>>727405
Craftsman can be good, if its old enough. By the 80's just about everything was made in Taiwan. Prior to that it was mostly US made, with a little bit of European stuff depending on the item. But heres the rub; Craftsman never made a single tool. Same with anything made for Sears really. It was all contract work. From Kenmore appliances to Craftsman tools to Sears branded camping equipment, it was all made for them by others. Up until the 70's they generally went with very reputable companies and just slightly modified existing products or put them out with nothing more than branding changes. They even sold some cars using this system back in the 50's. Anyway, they still do the same shit today, it just they use crappier vendors to supply the product.
>>
>>727067
Even the cheapest ass analog meters are resonably durable due to having few parts.
Ive had digital meters give out on me all the time for unexplained resons, but my $10 walmart analog meter is still going strong.
>>
Wow, forget /sci/, /x/, /fit/ and /pol/... this is my new home. I love you.

Concerning durability: Does anyone know an efficient way to get rid of the accumulator in a modern shaving device?

Is there any brand that's actually promoting real durability for small machines?
EASTPAK has a 30-year-guarantee but it's pretty limited to certain damages.
>>
>>727395
>You're telling me, not only did you kill 3 clamp meters... but at least one of them was a fluke ?
>What kind of retarded shit can you possibly be doing to do that ?

One fell off a table onto a floor all all its readings went skewed. The others just stopped working correctly right out of the storage drawer with no discernible reason (always about 10 days AFTER warranty expires, wtf).
>>
>>727405
Craftsman SUCKS....
>>
>>726089
>product lines that you only have to buy once
Had a 20 gallon coleman compressor that lasted many many years, until it got stolen.
>>
>>726966
customer at a buddies work got in an argument with someone over how much it'd take to fix something on his shit box, grabbed the shop keyboard and swung it at a manager while it was still plugged in and shit.

not much of a story to tell really, just typical shit
>>
If you want a multimeter that will see through the appocolipse buy a AVO 8.
People confuse built to last and built to be fixed. I drove a series 3 land rover around Oz the hard way. It constantly broke down. I had tools and tanasity. When it Brooke the engine mounts I tied the engine back in with fencing wire and drove it through flooded creeks to a spot where I could get mounts delivered. I will always look for something that I can fix over a built to last 'sealed' unit.
>>
>>728190
Craftsman re-brands. Their re-branded German-made Knipex pliers are the best you'll get anywhere. Their regular #1 #2 and #3 screwdrivers however are made in China and are better prybars /chisels than they are screwdrivers.
>>
>>726342
my buddy just grabbed that exact model at a flea market in rochester, ny

for a fiver.
>>
File: 20141120_162219_resized.jpg (1MB, 3096x1741px) Image search: [Google]
20141120_162219_resized.jpg
1MB, 3096x1741px
>>726324
>>726361
>>726967
>>727067
>>727033
bitches please
>>
>>726091
Get Duracell brand flashlights at Costco. $20 for two, but they're all *killer* LED ones, so 500(!) lumens. Last forever, rugged as fuck, and long lived. I own 4.
>>
my Oltronix C50 - 5R lasted me forever, the only place i've found it online is at a tech-museum. I got it of an engineering school that had to move, and could not bring all their stuff, so they had to throw a lot out. And since my friends father worked there, we were allowed to go in and take what we wanted - shit was like heaven. I brought back 4 fully funtional ocilloscopes (one analog), 5 powersupplies, a stabilization machine - for balancing ball bearings. And a ton of other scientific equipment from the 60-70'ties and upwards, with special made casings and bags for everything
>>
>>729460
Y-You're making me all hot and bothered
>>
>>729394
>FlukePorn /win

- now see, gems like that, sitting there, ooozing quality, competence and general 'boys who built me, actually gave a fuck' attitude.. Johnny Ives & Co, no fucking idea, none at all. Doubt you'd find anything comparable built in the last 10 years, and no shit.
>>
tek 465b. mine is almost 40 years old.
I love this fucking oscilloscope.
>>
>>729582
actually i'm wrong about ~40 years. it's more like ~30.
>>
>>726342
Apparently also gives you mad carpal tunnel.
My old barber said so
>>
>>726089
>Sidchrome
>tfw broke my 60s sidchrome breaker bar.
>>
>>726089
iPod. I know they're natural lifespan is horrible but as they are/were the most common mp3, it makes for the easy to get parts and for peanuts you can keep an ipod running with a little diy. people are so quick to throw shit away simply when it stops working and ipods love to stop working.
>>
>>729620
>broke a breaker bar.
well what did you expect.
>>
>>729620
curious as to how you broke it? were you for some reason applying more than 200nm of torque?

for all the shit cheap tools get, it took 800nm of force for me to break a 5$ 3/8 ratchet
>>
>>729485
i should have dusted it off before snapping the picture.

i have an old nixie tube calculator too, not sure the brand though. if there's interest i'll take a pic
>>
>>726440
hahaha points ignition, enjoy pushing that bike you tool i have a honda 175 pos
>>
>>729406
buying unrechargeable flashlights. ha no.
>>
>>729485
You might not like Apple, God knows I don't, but don't shit talk Jony Ive. You might not like the aesthetic, but he's good at what he does, and he's said more than once that if his work becomes substandard he'll leave Apple. More than can be said for most designers who just do the same damn thing until it's out of style and antiquated.
>>
>>726493
I beat the shit out of my beloved 240 sedan every day, still runs great. fuckin bulletproof
>>
>>727060
but the beam quality will be shit because you don't have a reflector. you should definitely design a reflector and protective class when you make yours
>>
Toyota solid front axle pick up with a 22r motor
>>
>>726493
I have 89 jeep cherokee laredo with 93 4.0L HO engine, just curious what year did chrysler take jeep?
>>
>>731367
His work is substandard.

The iPod had the most unintuitive interface in the history of mankind. (I dare you, hand one to someone who's never seen one and ask them to do a simple task like switch it on, or get it to stop playing).

He's embarking on a campaign to remove affordances from iOS, an OS whose design aesthetic was previously "write on each thing that does something what it does in words". Until Ive fucked about with it, the number of undiscoverable features or bizarre unexplained symbols in iOS could be counted on one hand.

He's made a giant comedy phone that doesn't actually fit a human hand, and he lifted the design wholesale from the iPod Touch.

Steve Jobs would have kicked his ass by now.
>>
Mercury Boat Motor
>>
>>731428
That engine is indestructible. I had one that ran months with almost no oil (long story). Before it died I'd get offers about twice a year from people that wanted to buy that old truck.
>>
>>731478
Thank you. I fucking hate Apple's aesthetic. I had to use the command prompt to do anything in osx. Bought an iMac and really wanted to like it... had to sell it a year later because it was just such a piece of shit I couldn't stand it.
>>
>>726400
New Kirbys are a piece of crap. Sister in law mortaged her soul for one and just over a year later had to pay for a clutch at over £200. Kirby refused to honour the 'warranty'
>>
>>726604
Got one - still working perfectly after 24 years. Fuckin awesome piece of kit.
>>
>>729340
Got two of these. Still working perfectly.

Also had a Diesel series iii and rebuilt the engine myself - taught me about injectors and so on.

My mate borrowed it for his landscaping business and rppied the rear chassis trying to pull a treestump out - it cost him £400 to repair it. Other than welding working on it was a piece of piss - my boat trailer punched a hole in the back door - an hour with a hammer, dolly, pop riveter, alu plate and some green paint fixed that.
>>
File: image.jpg (119KB, 592x697px)
image.jpg
119KB, 592x697px
>>731650
Sorry - forgot picture
>>
>>726604
>tfw your model m is only a year younger than you
>>
>>726220
Except many things are made in such a way that parts practically cannot be replaced. Which is fine by me. Modern production lines can be so efficient that making a new product will take half the man-hours of replacing a part in it, and not having to set up a huge spare parts distribution system probably makes sense from an environmental viewpoint too.

A lot of people complain these days (as they probably always have) that things don't last as long as they used to (which is probably not even true, it's just that your grandpa's TV set is one of the sets on the far right of the survivability bell curve for that model), yet people buy new appliances/tools/cars/whatever not because they break down, but because they have become technologically inferior. Doesn't matter that my maglite from '92 still works, it has been retired because it is being outshined by the little LED on the back of my phone, not to even speak of modern dedicated flashlights. Your fridge from 1964 still runs you say? Great. Only it consumes enough power to make five modern fridges every year, which not only aren't filled with extremely poisonous gases anymore, but also use almost no power. Modern cars break down completely after ten years, you complain? I don't want fifty year old cars on the roads. I bike there. I want cars with traction control, clean burning engines and catalytic converters, proper headlights and automatic, black magic anti-run-over-people radar technology.

But there is no excuse for why my new Stanley knife lasts a year while my dad's is going strong after 30. The offending part is made visibly inferior in the newer models. Fuck Stanley.
>>
>>732444
go check the lightbulb work age conspiracy of planned obsolescence
>>
>>732457
>Bringing conspiracy theories into /diy/
>>
>>731457
>>
>>726089
Opinels ARE french knives
>>
>>732913
good to know. thak you.
i actually copied some products from the last thread in and did not check, if there were any which were just the same with different names.

I am thinking of copying the posts of the last thread into this one, but i am afraid of the spam filter on 4chan. does anyone know how and where to upload some html-file to a website for free?
>>
>>726089
I'd change the "french knifes" into Swedish knives, brands like Fällkniven and Mora are repeatedly getting good reviews. Admitedly Mora more as a cheap use and throw knife but given maintenance it should last you a lifetime.
With the cheapest going for about 5 USD I can see why the maintenance is often overlooked.
>>
>>733022
there's no need to copy old posts anew, everyone knows how to use the archive, you will just use up the post limit and miss out on novel posts.
>>
File: engine etc 002.jpg (557KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
engine etc 002.jpg
557KB, 1920x1080px
>>726210
whatever, not enough chrome
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.