[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Junk Engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

While I was growing-up, I loved the show "Junkyard Wars."

Because of that, I want to learn to create power-sources from junk.

I'm talking junk windmills, junk gasoline generators, junk waterwheels, etc.

I don't care about the fact that this is a fool's errand and the products would likely be wildly-inefficient. I just think it would be a fun novelty/time-waster.

Does anyone know of any good books to study?

How the hell do I start amassing components? I didnt't think junkyards just let you come in and buy shit.
>>
>>1242764
DC motors work as generators, so find a big one and build a machine to spin it. No need to get much into the theory of it, just find some parts and mess around. Here's a good video of what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DfKeigoDI4

As for components, I've had good luck at flea markets, but otherwise just look for junk on the side of the road.
>>
>>1242774
>>1242764
Permanent magnet motors are the easiest ones to get up and producing electric. The other types can be used too, but some need the stator charged to make the field and some need that plus being spun at around 10% faster than their rated speed to do it.

Creating your own permanent magnet generator is also pretty easy and can have much tougher durability than simply refitting a used motor.

>How the hell do I start amassing components?

Look up what you need for your project first. Then look for stuff that have those things in them. Junkyards will sell you items, that's part of their trade. Car alternators are a prime DIY salvage item for this sort of thing. For smaller stuff, look for office printers that have big motors in them as well as treadmill exercise equipment.

While you can salvage all the parts you need, some things are better sourced online from mouser or digikey where you can buy exactly the specs you need and know it works 100%. For things like start/run caps you can normally find t hose at hardware stores. For very large caps, like for sustaining a charge for initial starting of a salvaged motor's magnetic field, you may find what you need in power supply units and old old CRT TVs. Buying those new can be pretty expensive.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.