[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into paper mache, and I want to practice by making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Totem_after_CWC_3.jpg (418KB, 1134x1512px) Image search: [Google]
Totem_after_CWC_3.jpg
418KB, 1134x1512px
I want to get into paper mache, and I want to practice by making my own Sonic Totem. Why? Because:
1.) It'll be a good starter project to "mess up" and have it look bad on purpose.
2.) Maybe because I have autism, but the adventures and exploits of Chris-chan and Sonichu are hilarious.
3.) Because of which, if I finish this and gain the attention of Chris, it might yield some hilarious reaction from him.
4.) This totem would technically have a dual purpose: I want to make it a cover for my Amazon Echo (lol botnot). So not only could I look at it, but it would actually do a thing.

So anyone have any experience with paper mache? I hear a lot about flour + salt + water, but I couldn't imagine that not leaving a powdery residue for painting later.
Glue and water sounds like the next best thing - cheap and should hold up better than all consumable ingredients.
Wallpaper paste - would probably be the sturdiest, but would be potentially toxic to work with.
>>
I tried CA glue once to laminate a few squares of paper together, it made a hard translucent plate. That might be useful for making small details.
>>
You can get paper clay at hobby stores - i remember getting some at Hobby Lobby a while back for an art class I was in. The benefit to this clay is that you can mold it more easily than you can strips of paper in glue - it's a lot like a modeling clay. It dries hard and light too. The only problem is that the finished surface is kind of porous, so you may have to figure out a way to 'fill it in' so that you have a smoother surface to paint on. Spackle might work.
>>
>>1239250
>So anyone have any experience with paper mache?
Yeah!!!!

> I hear a lot about flour + salt + water,
It works, but imo the best is newsprint + cheap white glue + a roue. salt never made a difference for me.

Make a roue by taking boiling water and mixing it with a tiny bit of flour. Warm or colder water won't work. Then add glue to that. Soak newsprint in it quickly and apply it to a form.

A good papier mache sculpture is made on a frame; usually, you see people just blow up balloons to make domes, and then paint the domes to be globes or whatever. Some people make boards and then tape the boards together, but making a wire frame of your model will work much better in general if it's anything more complex than a ball. Don't worry about the framing material; the paper mache will drape over it. I've heard of success with just card (like those old Puzz 3d things) but stout wire is the gold standard

Also, something I found was good was adding cheap black poster paint to the mix; it makes it consistently gray. Painting over it after will look more consistent. A shot of black, professionals, etc. I did this years ago, before the meme on /diy/ and it really did make a more consistent color after painting.

Furthermore, taking high quality quilted paper towel and using that to make the outer layer works wonders too; you can do just one coat, and then paint and sand (or just rub) it smooth. Don't worry about the texture in the paper towel; it usually goes flat with all the moisture. Honestly, the only reason I wouldn't recommend using ONLY paper towels is sheer cost. They're made to absorb, and the actual structure is more the glue mix; the paper is just there as a medium for the actual structural bit that is basically dried glue and gluten.
>>
File: Do this.jpg (41KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
Do this.jpg
41KB, 610x343px
>>1239250
>Amazon Echo
>>
>>1239619
Add a shot of black... Gotcha
>>
>>1240090
Undo a noose? Don't kill myself??
>>
>>1239250
>It'll be a good starter project to "mess up" and have it look bad on purpose.
Ironic projects are the worst projects, you WILL regret it.

>Maybe because I have autism, but the adventures and exploits of Chris-chan and Sonichu are hilarious.
I almost pity you.

>Because of which, if I finish this and gain the attention of Chris, it might yield some hilarious reaction from him.
It won't and you're retarded for thinking it would. Also, isn't that faggot a woman now, sounds like you're one of those pathetic spergs that can't get your own life so you dwell on "hers" instead.

>This totem would technically have a dual purpose: I want to make it a cover for my Amazon Echo (lol botnot). So not only could I look at it, but it would actually do a thing.
>Amazon Echo
There's no helping you.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.