[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making A Handle For A Cylindrical Cannister

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: watertight cannister.jpg (39KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
watertight cannister.jpg
39KB, 600x600px
Anyone have any ideas for how to make a really solid handle for pic related?
>>
>>1238003
How solid is really solid? You could fashion something out of a piece if steel and rivet it on.

Then again thermoplastic might be solid enough for your uses...
>>
>>1238036
Well I would definitely rivet a steel handle on if I knew how and I had the necessary tools. I'm interested in making a handle at home, without a machine shop.

Thanks for the idea, and thanks for the bump
>>
File: UT8MK9IXktbXXagOFbXF.jpg (50KB, 695x485px) Image search: [Google]
UT8MK9IXktbXXagOFbXF.jpg
50KB, 695x485px
>>1238046
How about a kitchen drawer type handle? Drill a couple of holes in your canister lid and attach the handle with screws?
>>
>>1238003
wrap some rubber electrical tape below the rim
wrap some perforated strapping ( like they use to suspend air conditioning equipment ) around the tape
put a bolt & washer thru the holes to make it tight
bend excess into a handle

or add one to the bottom to make it really stout
>>
Drill a hole and use a hook bolt?

Does it have to be water tight?

What's the intended use? The simplest solution if you're going to hang it from the handle would be to put it in a pouch instead.

>>1238046
A pop rivet tool costs less than $10 and any decent drill bit should be able to drill titanium since it's softer than tool steel. If you don't have a drill you can get a shitty one for under $25 which should do the job. No machine shop required.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 342x355px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 342x355px
>>1238003
Make a handle attached to a cage frame that goes around the outside, like a Bodum coffee press.
>>
>>1238003
Why not use a U-bolt?
>>
File: crappy drill press2.jpg (314KB, 1382x778px) Image search: [Google]
crappy drill press2.jpg
314KB, 1382x778px
>>1238003
unless you want to fuck it up you'll probably have to make it clamp around the outside of it.

you could drill and bore a large diameter round piece of aluminum, put a slight taper on the ID if the cup has one, then drill/tap hole for clamp and slice it.

but I would recommend using a flat piece of aluminum maybe an inch thick, it's probably cheaper than a round rod of aluminum 5" or 6"

for some reason large diameter stock is expensive.

You could bore the hole in a flat piece on a milling machine if you don't have a lathe available, boring on the mill seems to take longer imo. A tapered hole on the mill takes a special boring head, unfortunately. One thing you could try is cocking the head of the mill over to the angle you want, and using a rotary table to spin the part around while you mill the outside, to get the taper angle.

A CNC would likely involve making a CAD file of the part you want and then clamping a piece of aluminum, the benefit of a CNC machine would be easily making a complicated profile--probably useful on the outside if you want it to look expensive. A CNC could also approximate the taper adequately using a regular ball nosed end-mill, so no need to cock the head and tram it back when done.

Hiring a machinist is not cheap, you might be able to get a very small shop to make it for a lot less than a shop expecting $100,000 contracts. Manual shops will find it difficult to meet a large volume of demand, if you end up wanting to sell them.
>>
>>1238003
Wood is easiest to work with unless you have other prototyping tools. That, or scrounging from another mug from a dollar store or whatever. Just make sure that if you decide to fasten worth bolts or screws that you use a good grade sealant. No need to drink extra carcinogens.
>>
>>1238276
Aluminum or steel might be too rigid a material for most cups and mugs, you could make it from plastic like acetal and then you will have less risk of someone over-tightening the clamp and destroying their cup/mug.

Also, it might be cheaper if you can provide a 3d model (CAD) file of the part you want. Manual machinists who aren't too old can reference the model for measurements too.

>>1238003
I wonder if a 3d printer might be exactly what you need for this project, OP?
>>
>>1238277
If OP wants it to be "food grade" the material choices are likely far more limited. I think there is a rating system or regulation regarding materials chosen for eating and drinking from, as well as handling food.

A piece of stainless steel might end up being the simplest and safest route to go.
>>
>>1238277
You could attach any reused handle with a solid epoxy too, which would eliminate the need for drilling.

Or, you could fasten this cup inside of a larger clamping housing that has a handle.
>>
>>1238279
Good point and thanks for catching my typo. It's tough to find a food grade sealant as well. Anything a baby can chew on is viable though.
>>
>>1238003

Just put it in a bag and carry it that way you mong

its why bags have handels
>>
>>1238229

Op here. Thanks anon, I'm pursuing this idea

Thanks everyone else, too
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.