[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lathe restoration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2278.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2278.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Sup /diy/, frequent lurker here. I just bought an old soviet lathe(universal three inches lmao) for 530 euros. I also Got the old three jaw chuck with it, cutting tools and thats about it. I figured old lathes are a bit better in terms of quality. I'm pretty satisifed that it is quite heavy for a benchtop lathe so there is not much movement when cutting.

I want to restore it a bit. Make the tolerances a bit tighter maybe put in a quick change tool post if it's possible, oil the thing and put on a new coat of paint.

My questions are the followng:

1. Was this a good deal?

2. What can I do to improve it?

3. Where could I find the tin labels which show the power and maker of the motor and such? Should I just find some pictures of the thing and then go laser engrave it or stamp it? I really want to restore it with all the bells and whistles.
>>
File: 1504295494452.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
1504295494452.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>
>>1237098
>find some pictures of the thing and then go laser engrave it or stamp it
I doubt you can order them from the manufacturer, so how you say, da.
>>
File: 1489642760360.jpg (9KB, 279x181px) Image search: [Google]
1489642760360.jpg
9KB, 279x181px
>>1237098
if you really want to restore it properly look into hand scraping, Jan and stefan G have some pretty good videos on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD1jVjhwma9Ehj8BQqDMPHw/videos
>>
>>1237098
>530 euros
that seems like alot

you probably could have gotten a decent benchtop (bigger than - is that a minilathe?) used chinese lathe, maybe a 6-9" swing

at least the motor looks way oversized
>>
>>1237101
fucking thank you
>>
>>1237210
thanks man , will look into it

>>1237260
I guess it does but seeing as I was looking at used benchtop lathes for over a year and the cheapest used chinese was like 300 euro while everything else in the same category was 700 euro or more I opted to buy this and restore it since I heard people talking shit about chinese lathes.
>>
>>1237328
The cast iron in this soviet lathe is far superior to any Chinese bench lathe you might have bought. its an excellent candidate for rebuilding, where abouts in Europe are you?
>>
>>1237260
I had been tossing up between new Chinese or old British for a few months but after talking to a lot of people I'm going old British because it'll last longer than me rather than some chinesium pot metal that I'll be replacing in 5-10 years.
>>
>>1237374
Just read my post back and realized it sounds like I'm OP, I am not.
>>
File: IMG_2402.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2402.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>1237360
I'm in Slovenia. The thing saw better days, the slide are a bit chipped off at the end which isn't pleasing. I found some info about it online here http://www.lathes.co.uk/russian/

Pic related, backend of the lathe
>>
File: IMG_2401.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2401.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>1237380
Label with the info about threading and gear positions.
>>
File: IMG_2403.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2403.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>1237381
I'm just in the process of sanding down the paint from the tailstock. I'm doing a part a day because the paint is really hard to sand down.
>>
>>1237385
Sure you can't hit it with a heat gun or solvent?
>>
>>1237447
Heat gun is showing pretty bad results. I'm now using an angle grinder with a sanding attachment for big surfaces which i then rough up a bit with some lower gradient sanding paper so the primary coat will stick more. The nooks and crannies are done with a micro rotary tool.
>>
>>1237450
Grinder sounds fine, but I pity you if your rotary tool is a weak one. At least it probably isn't the vacuum powered dremel. What kind of paint job do you plan on giving it, a nice soviet red?
>>
>>1237452
I was thinking a Hammerschlag blue or green. Probably blue since I can't find green for the life of me. The inside of the door where the labels are will stay red tho. The rotary is a Proxxon and its rpobably gonna take a heck of a long time to sand it all.

Also I notice I have a problem with cutting and I have the feeling that it's one of two things. One is the sharpness of the cutting tool and two i think when i put the knife in the tool post, it sits too high so the tool is kind of just grinding against the work piece. Could this be fixed with getting a new tool post where you can adjust the height of the cutting tool because this one is kind of fixed.
>>
>>1237463
>Could this be fixed with getting a new tool post where you can adjust the height of the cutting tool because this one is kind of fixed.

you can get a quick-change toolpost, but you will lose the post cross slide (that's the first time i've ever seen a cross slide attached to the post)

also if the ground tool you're using is too high without any shims underneath it, it's too big. use smaller size toolbits and shims to get it to the right height.
>>
>>1237385
Tried Aircraft paint remover?
>>
>>1237508
Hmm, yeah it is a bit big. Will try with some shims and see how it cuts. Thanks for the info.

>>1237509
Just bought some Lava, it's a paint remover and I'll try it tomorrow in the morning. The tail stock is almost completely cleaned today. If this won't cut it then I will try to check for this Aircraft paint remover I just need to find whats the commercial name here.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.