[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap air conditioning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: poorfag airconditioner.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
poorfag airconditioner.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
Hello /diy/, I typically do not need air conditioning where I live, but this week we are having a severe heat wave, worse than I have seen in the previous summers living here. I was considering making an AC similar to pic related. I have seen a few designs - some use 5 gallon buckets, some use ice chests. Some use water and ice, some use frozen water bottles, and some designs call for plain ice.

I would like to cool my room without driving humidity up super high, so I am thinking of using frozen water bottles instead of water and ice. Any design considerations, upgrades, or tips? Has anybody built one before? Did the relative humidity in your house spike?
>>
When i was a co at a prison we used to bring in coolers of ice and set them in front of box fans to cool us down, the state was too cheap to install hvac in the housing units
>>
>>1236950
>>1236959

The ice is a waste of money. What cools the air is the evaporation of the water, same as how sweating cools your body.
>>
File: 1352398771074.jpg (50KB, 1000x900px) Image search: [Google]
1352398771074.jpg
50KB, 1000x900px
>>1236950
Those are fucktarded, and if you're freezing the ice yourself you're putting more heat into your place than you're taking out.
Cheap window units are like 100$ or less, if you're not going to use it a lot there's no reason to spend more than that. Or just look of Craigslist, etc.
Drink cold water and put a towel with cool water on it around your neck.
>>
Get a big block of dry ice and put a fan behind it. Make sure to keep all doors and windows closed to keep the cool in!
>>
>>1236961
Your A/C system doesn't evaporate water.
Ice is just heat transfer.
Calories in/calories out.
>>
>>1236950
for less money and trouble you can go on craigslist and buy a small window unit. for just a room you can go as small as 6000 btu but 8000 btu is more common. that shit will make ur room a meat locker and you can get one for like $40 because they are only 100 new.
>>
File: 2017-09-01 10.53.28.jpg (3MB, 3018x1896px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-01 10.53.28.jpg
3MB, 3018x1896px
It's happening, don't worry everyone, I will be cool soon. Maximum duct tape, maximum power. Gallon jugs already starting to freeze in deep freezer in garage.
>>
>>1237046
Just go to a library and sleep...
>>
File: chiller.png (23KB, 811x728px) Image search: [Google]
chiller.png
23KB, 811x728px
>>1237046
You'll experience poor heat transfer and thus, poor cooling performance with the plastic jugs. Heat has to traverse the plastic membrane, and a monolithic block of ice like a milk jug is going to have a rather small surface area compared to hundreds of ice cubes.

What would work better, and still keep from increasing your humidity is some sort of heat exchanger. You could make one from coil of copper tubing, a 5-gallon bucket, and a small submersible pump.
>>
>>1237073
Interesting. I believe a v2.0 is in order shortly
>>
>>1236950
Don't use ice unless you buy it. All heat pumps generate heat, so if you get it from your freezer you are actually making your house warmer.

Evaporative cooling is the premise of almost all cooling systems, but water is shit for it.

>so I am thinking of using frozen water bottles
See above.

Unless the heat differential is going in your favor, you need a heat pump. Ideally a heat pump that doesn't pump the heat into your house (read as: refrigerator)...
Physics says there is no non-personal non-retarded non-self defeating diy solution that isn't literally a diy AC.

>tl;dr
It will be cheaper to buy an AC than to make one.
(don't be a fucking idiot, consider price/performance ratios before disagreeing)
>>
>>1237073
>and still keep from increasing your humidity is some sort of heat exchanger.
Physics disagrees.
>>
>>1237091
(physics also assumes the heat sink is water)
>>
>>1237091
If the air never touches the cooling water (as in my example), the device will not add, but may remove humidity from the ambient air.
>>
>>1237007
no, it evaporates refrigerant.

evaporation is the core principle of how the cold side is made cold
>>
>>1237095
even so, without thermal insulation its a heat pump pumping into itself. It is literally just a heater.
>>
>>1237105
Yes, it heats the water from the surrounding air. This isn't difficult to understand.
>>
>>1237090
>Don't use ice unless you buy it. All heat pumps generate heat, so if you get it from your freezer you are actually making your house warmer.
If your house is cold overnight then what is the problem freezing for the next day
>>
>>1237150
And the water heats the air. And the fan and pump are not magic and therefore generate heat.
out = in + pump + fan
>>
>>1236950
Swamp cooler work pretty well, but they add TONS off humidity to the air, you have to keep the windows open, or you w
>>
>>1237100
This guy is right, it's because changing the temperature of a substance takes a flat amount of energy, but changing its state of matter takes considerably more.

Fun fact, that's why whiskey stones are less than 1/4th as effective as ice. It's the ice melting that removes the most energy from the drink, not the ice being cold.
>>
>>1237162
Yes, dimwit. If this string of posts comes from you thinking that there's not ice in the circulating water, I really feel bad for you. I'm sorry I was too lazy to draw that into the diagram for people who couldn't take that as a given thing.
>>
File: cooler.png (29KB, 1185x386px) Image search: [Google]
cooler.png
29KB, 1185x386px
would this work?
>>
>>1237215
>would this work?
Yes, it would work great. In. The. Desert.
>>
it's September already

a little late to be summer posting
>>
>>1237215
Probably. But it shouldn't get any cooler than the wetbulb temperature. So you're looking at a decrease from 110 to 92. The water is better used on ones skin. Thats also assuming 0 percent absolute humidity...

>tl;dr
Yes, but it's stupid.
>>
>>1237154
If OP is talking about the California heatwave, it ain't cold at night. SF was about 106 degrees, 30-40 above average.
>>
>>1237354
that's warm, not hot.
t. califag
>>
>>1236950
none of those work. go buy an AC unit
>>
OP here, like the other anons said, these things are fucktarded. Zero help. Live and learn, I suppose. I am pretty shocked that Popular Science/Mechanics put out an article on how to build these DIY air conditioners, because they are garbage
>>
>>1236981
>>dry ice

This suffocates the neckbeard.
>>
>>1237854
You are essentially building a shitty swamp cooler. They only work in extremely low humidity. Just keep a glass of ice water next to you, dip a washcloth into it and place it on your forehead or the back of the neck.
>>
>>1236950
That shit is a death trap and anyone who tells people to use it needs to be shot.
dry is isnt water, its made of a gas that is an asphyxiant. If you melt a ton of that shit in your house you are going to kill yourself and everyone you love and possibly even the people who come to rescue you when you fail to answer the phone for 3 weeks.
>>
>windows unit
enjoy you prolapsed disc.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.