[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be wortg making your own drill press? Cheapest used

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: images.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
Would it be wortg making your own drill press? Cheapest used ones here start from 150e.
>>
No, you'll fuck 99% of drills by putting 200kg of force onto it. Drill presses are designed to minimize the stress on the motor, and they are damn good at it.
>>
>>1236350
Ok friend. How many wats should I be looking for? Cheapest ones start with 350w
>>
>>1236352
No, its mechanical advantages that make drill presses work. But even with that you want at least a 3/4 horse power motor to do anything decent. That alone will run you $100 for a used one.
>>
>>1236354
Thanks for the info. Any spesific brands to avoid?
>>
>>1236361
Its hard to buy a shit drill press, just get one with a decent chuck and test it with a dial meter before you buy it (keep in mind drills are inherently inaccurate).
>>
>>1236350
All you do it use a belt from the motor to the drill itself, Buyfag.

>>1236349
It is pretty easy to do, but you need some skills and tools and step pulleys. You can make your own step pulleys from foam and cast them from aluminum. You can omit the step pulley if you don't need a few speeds. That can be done by having 1 speed only or a set of normal pulleys and belts to swap off. Or, just buy a step pulley, but I never recommend buying since this is /diy/. The motor can be a 1/2hp washer motor which will have wiring for a few speeds usually. A dryer motor will also work, but is normally wired for only 1 speed.

Get a copy of this,

https://www.amazon.com/Drill-Press-Build-Metal-Working-ebook/dp/B00XO13G62

In fact get the whole series,
https://www.amazon.com/Build-Metal-Working-Scrap-Complete/dp/1878087355
>>
>>1236390
Thanks for the post. Really interesting book series. Tho paying 75 usd for books when im doubting putting 100 down for a drill press doesnt seem right.
>>
>>1236365
>test it with a dial meter before you buy it

where do they sell drill presses fully assembled, or allow you do unpackage it enough to do this test?
>>
>>1236390
Drill presses are one of those things where it makes more sense to buy it. Build one if you want, but its only going to end up worse then a cheap drill press and you would have spent more then you would have if you had gotten a used drill presses. I dont deny you couod build one, but with the forces involved in a drill press and the cost of a chuck and motor it just doesnt make sense.

Bandsaws on the other hand make more sense to build.
>>
>>1236396
Most hardware stores in New Zealand.
>>
>>1236400
There used to be a same type of thread here but about belt sanders. How did that go?
>>
>>1236402
>How did that go?

it was still in the archive as of yesterday. at least two of the homemade ones looked nice. all they have to do is turn a shaft fast, basically, whereas a drill press has to be rigid while being able to move up and down and rotate with decent torque, preferably at more than one speed.
>>
File: 1327600934745.jpg (268KB, 899x634px) Image search: [Google]
1327600934745.jpg
268KB, 899x634px
>>1236393
You can find the PDF version on torrent sites.

>>1236400
Don't project your own failings on other people, especially when you don't know what you are talking about. This thread is for DIYers, not buyfags.
>>
>>1236413
diy is about practicality and cost savings you retard.
>>
File: FO6S74WG9NH8U21.MEDIUM.jpg (54KB, 431x620px) Image search: [Google]
FO6S74WG9NH8U21.MEDIUM.jpg
54KB, 431x620px
The usual take on "diy drill press" is just a normal hand drill fixed on a suitable mount. If you use some $5 drill (old or Chink garbage), you'll get plenty of bang for your buck.
Whether it's actually worth building depends on what you want.
>>
>>1236413
>This thread is for DIYers, not buyfags.

really? post the video of you making your phone or pc and how you made all the chips and electronic components or STFU.
>>
>>1236415
DIY is about making/doing things things yourself. The reasons why you make/do it yourself doesn't matter. What matter is that you are making/doing it yourself. For some that is savings, for others it is fun.
>>
>>1236418
>all dis logically fallacy

Sure thing, kid.
>>
>>1236420
>>all dis logically fallacy
>Sure thing, kid.

ok, since you failed that, show pics of your homemade drillpress.
>>
>>1236424
>more logical fallacy

Keep it up, kid, this is getting good.
>>
File: crappy drill press.jpg (293KB, 1382x778px) Image search: [Google]
crappy drill press.jpg
293KB, 1382x778px
>>1236365
>Its hard to buy a shit drill press

t. someone who doesn't drill steel with chinese drill presses

I guess I need to re-post these pictures.

The base is cheap and lightweight, the column is so thin the setscrews holding the head onto it deform it into an egg-shape, the table wouldn't stay flat, it kept twisting even under mild drilling.

I made a new table and clamp for it, now it doesn't twist. I have a heavier base for it (Delta-Rockwell from Ebay) and am putting off buying a $100 piece of cast iron tubing for the column and base.

Buy an expensive drill press, the cheap shit isn't worth it. Everything is expensive, if not it's made in China and probably sucks.
>>
File: crappy drill press2.jpg (314KB, 1382x778px) Image search: [Google]
crappy drill press2.jpg
314KB, 1382x778px
>>1236606
after I get the base and column re-made I'm going to look into fixing the spindle/quill deflection problem (flexes)
>>
>>1236365
>(keep in mind drills are inherently inaccurate).
Why is this the case? Shouldn't they make inherently precise and almost perfectly round (or at least mathmatically regular) holes since they spin around a nonmoving point?
>>
>>1236349
depends on what youre drilling. You could just make a dremel press if its small.
Dont listen to >>1236349, hes a retard. That only applies to industrial grade machines that are drilling for 24 hours a day under high load.
>>
>>1236365
>Its hard to buy a shit drill press
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

oh wait, you're serious

ao;khhahahahahahhahahahahahahdjfasdhkfjsalfrqsbqsdjweriwsadvsadfasdfjasdfasddfhqweryweuyqwyuasifgshajikkjlafkakasdjasdiuqiupqabkjaswesadvsacvkbjsafsadfhqwuieqwihsijlvdbsadjfgqiuosghsdafhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahashhahahahahaqhahahhahaashahawhashahahahahahahsadfhsdafdjfhjhakjhhahaahhahahahhsfdfhahao;khhahahahahahhahahahahahahdjfasdhkfjsalfrqsbqsdjweriwsadvsadfasdfjasdfasddfhqweryweuyqwyuasifgshajikkjlafkakasdjasdiuqiupqabkjaswesadvsacvkbjsafsadfhqwuieqwihsijlvdbsadjfgqiuosghsdafhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahashhahahahahaqhahahhahaashahawhashahahahahahahsadfhsdafdjfhjhakjhhahaahhahahahhsfdfhahao;khhahahahahahhahahahahahahdjfasdhkfjsalfrqsbqsdjweriwsadvsadfasdfjasdfasddfhqweryweuyqwyuasifgshajikkjlafkakasdjasdiuqiupqabkjaswesadvsacvkbjsafsadfhqwuieqwihsijlvdbsadjfgqiuosghsdafhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahashhahahahahaqhahahhahaashahawhashahahahahahahsadfhsdafdjfhjhakjhhahaahhahahahhsfdfhah
>>
>>1236690
>Dont listen to >>1236349 (OP), hes a retard.
>>
>>1236416
Please, delete this image.

t. buyfag
>>
>>1236680
Often times those cheap Chineseium drill presses either have columns that flex when you apply force (which causes the head to move) or their quill or chuck is just fucked up so stuff wobbles. That is why someone suggested testing the chuck with a dial indicator before buying them.

OP, get a used drill press that wasn't made in China is has no plastic parts on it other than maybe some knobs. I paid $40 for an old 12 inch Craftsman drill press (1940s) at an estate sale and it has severed me well for a few years now.
>>
>>1236751
>it has severed me well
Sure it's not a bandsaw?
>>
If you don't have any other, better tools (lathe, steel mill) just buy something around $150 with a 500W+ motor. You can't really make anything that's even half as good as the cheap chink shit drill presses.
>>
>>1236396
Your drill presses need assembly?
>>
>>1236922
the one i OP's pic would take a box with a volume about 20x larger if the table were attached. Probably the three arms would be loose, perhaps the head and the base as well.
>>
>>1236922
They normally ship in 3-4 main parts and a couple smaller ones, the motor with reduction box, the base and the column, and the chuck with the arbor is not inserted.
You can go to any large store like Obi or Harbor Freight or whatever you have in your country and see several drill presses assembled, there you can test the runout (for which you don't really need an indicator because they wobble like fuck and can easily assess it manually).
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.