/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building an Arduino vehicle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: arduino_robot.jpg (38KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
arduino_robot.jpg
38KB, 600x450px
I'm planning on building an arduino vehicle for my Bachelor's thesis. My field is process control. The vehicle itself will be 3D-printed.

It will be self-controlled or controlled with a phone via bluetooth.
Would you recommend any particular books to read, what to focus on? Any Ideas, recommendations, dos and don'ts?
>>
Adjustable suspension
>>
>>1236367
Like a body lift or something similar
>>
>>1236347
Have it bring you a drink while line-following over somewhat rough terrain. Keep a platform on top level on two axes based on input from a MEMS gyro, and maybe add a feed-forward from motor speed in case you want to try to climb something.
>>
File: wendys_fake.jpg (400KB, 1536x1127px) Image search: [Google]
wendys_fake.jpg
400KB, 1536x1127px
>>1236388
>it bring you a drink

and also a fresh burger that it cooks and assembles based on your order at a kiosk so you can demonstrate the obsolescence of most workers in the age of the engineer-god.
>>
>>1236347
I'm currently designing a micro-mouse robot for maze solving, line following and other stuff and I'm reading this:
https://www.google.es/url?q=https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronautics-and-astronautics/16-412j-cognitive-robotics-spring-2005/projects/1aslam_blas_repo.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwin8PLV1IHWAhUBuBQKHcmPC8oQFggLMAA&usg=AFQjCNECySQrs6KmGBP6NntEAYEJQT-mHQ
>>
>>1236347
Microtransat
>>
Not OP but is there a good off-the-shelf rc car that I can buy/gut out and replace? I'd like to use it as a learning project
>>
>>1236347
>>arduino controlled via bluetooth
I don't understand this meme.
>>
>>1236969
>>>arduino controlled via bluetooth
>I don't understand this meme.

In the real world it's not a meme. If you are pretty decent at writing apps, a tablet or a smartphone with bluetooth is an awesome interface for a system that can communicate via bluetooth. Otherwise you're limited to usb and a laptop or pc, or some small display.

The cool thing about using a tablet is they are dirt cheap, have tons of memory and processing power, and a rather powerful display for the price.

So, yeah, anything involving arduinos will be met with scorn around here, but it's just a meme without substance.
>>
>>1236969
with a little bt board, duh
>>
>>1236458
Not op but damn shit looks cool. Does it run over ROS?
>>
I've done arduinos in school before for my EE degree: learn to code the arduino without using delays. A shit ton on example code uses delays and for the love of god DON'T USE IT. it completely halts all processes and if you're running multiple functions it will ignore those functions and focus on the delay

Interrupts are your friend if you have a process that is important (like not having the car drive off of a table or running into walls)

If you're planning on being lazy and want easy integration with your smartphone pick up a Onesheeld. It's janky and not professional but it saved me a lot of time and separate shields. Just be careful with how many libraries you import since they're big and they fill up your memory fast.

make sure the motors have their own separate power supply. In my school, the computer science students kept using the same power supply for the arduino and the motors and they couldn't figure out why it kept shutting off. when motors are first powered they draw a current spike that will underpower the regulators on the arduino causing them to shut off.

don't try applying torque to the motors either: the computer science students tried arm wrestling their servo powered robotic arm and the motors lost the ability to keep the arm upright and they had to drop 200$ on new servos.

get several arduinos, cheap ones are just as good as the real thing. You will almost definitely make dumb mistakes and fry your board. I'm experienced with arduinos and I even fry my boards on occasion.

Don't be afraid to use multiple boards on the same car if you have to,either.
>>
I've done a project like this but I was using wi-fi instead of bluetooth, with the ESP8266 module, controlling it with a Java software running on a laptop nearby.

>>1237581 has given you great insights, specially regarding current spikes. If you want to be lazy or maybe at first to test out ideas, you can get any cheap RC car, open it up and solder wires into its control pins (use a multimeter or a ~5V charger to find out which pins are the control ones), most cars have a chip where you just need a positive signal on the legs to activate the motor.

After you get a bit advanced you'll probably want to look into an H bridge, personally I've workhed with the L298n and the HG7881. Pay attention to the current limits for the bridge you're using, I've seen motors with an operating current of ~800mA spike to 5A and more when they are turned on or when they are held back. This kind of thing can fry the H bridge (been there, done that). L298n has a limit of 4A, but it falls down to 2A if using two motors. In my project we used a shower resistance to bring down the motor amperage to about 3A. Might work for you.

Also one last thing you should pay attention, remember to always have a common ground between your components. Many times I've tried to test circuits and they didn't work because I forgot to connect Arduino's GND to the H bridge's GND.
>>
Shut the fuck up, James.
>>
>>1236347
Cars aren't a strong meme anymore. Process control can be shown off much more impressively with flying memes.
>>
>>1237740
My University rates things like this.
>Cars
>Boats
>Flying memes
>Subs
>Vehicles that replicate the movement of animals
>Things that can swim and then fly
>Flying things based on insects
>>
>>1237741
Vehicles that replicate animal movement is an instant paper/news article for most universities. Captures the imagination of normies really well.

Maybe OP could replicate a dung beetle or some other shit animal.
>>
>>1237768
Fucking hate my University. Some bitch made a horse and somehow that's better than the kid who got shot and still managed to make a roller coaster that launches drones at FastAsFuck mph.
>>
Do
>holonomic drive, like x, kiwi or swerve
Makes programming the thing to follow complex paths a lot simpler
>gyros and encoder telemetry for navigation
Ultimate proof that you understand process control. Nav via dead reckoning is hard shit
>build the damn thing correctly, with COTS motor controlers, omni wheels if you go holonomic, sensible wiring
>have an interesting yet simple manipulator
It should be a control challenge, not a mechanism one
>Be as autonomous as possible
Don't build an rc car

Don't
>Fall for the 6w traction drive or akerman steering, unless that is part of what you want to do
Controling a vehicle that behaves like a tank is hard. Contrioling a vehicle that behaves like a car is absurd. Don't hamper yourself if you don't need to
>fall for the suspension meme
Again suspension is hard, and not what you should be spending your time on unless it is active suspension, which is a worthy control problem. Otherwise though, stick to a flat floor
>use the arduino as structure
This just makes me mad
>>
File: plotclock[1].jpg (35KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
plotclock[1].jpg
35KB, 600x451px
I made one of these guys for a school project. After I made it write the time in a minute interval, I developed a bluetooth app to control it via smartphone, it was very laggy and slow but everyone liked it.

I suggest you look for a similar project and try to adapt it to your purpose. Trying to reinvent the wheel will make you give up on the project easily.

To develop a bluetooth app you will need a bluetooth receiver component and the app can be developed with MIT AppInventor and coded into arduino.

3D printing isn't always precise, so you might need to file down some parts.

Other than that it's pretty easy if you have a friend to do it with.
>>
File: 1503220214795.jpg (18KB, 260x287px) Image search: [Google]
1503220214795.jpg
18KB, 260x287px
>>1237581
> not using a dual core esp32 with freertos to make sure your robot works perfectly reliable

Don't talk to me or my AI ever again.
>>
>>1236347
Why the fuck would you use bt on your phone? Just make your own remote with an nrf24l01+.

They give you bach for this shit, really?
>>
>>1236347
>via bluetooth.
I thought adhawk wifi killed bluetooth
>>
>>1238157
pour this anon a shot of black. he's a real pro

>>1238388
meh, range, noise, limited packet size, difficulty of interfacing with fruitphones, and so on. but yeah, not bluetooth for an autonomous vehicle. the 8266 idea is primo. put a damn web server on the thing and accept REST queries from 100m+ away.
t.high school dropout
>>
>>1238503
>pour this anon a shot of black.

I like this modification.
>>
I used arduino one my RC car, and switched to raspberry pi, and I use wifi to control it using my laptop or cell phone.
>>
>>1236347
>My field is process control.

U wort mate?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.